- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Design Suggestion of Catenary Shell using Grasshopper Script
Grasshopper를 이용한 Catenary Shell 설계 방법 제안
- Lee, Joo Ho (Dept. of Architecture & Architectural Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Cho, Ah Sir (Dept. of Architecture & Architectural Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Sanghee (Dept. of Architecture & Architectural Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Kang, Thomas H.-K. (Dept. of Architecture & Architectural Engineering, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2016.02.25
- Accepted : 2016.05.18
- Published : 2016.06.15
The objective of this study is to propose methods to design and analyze a catenary shell using a computer program without experiments and measurements. The intial idea stems from Pendergrast's study, but his method should be improved. In this study, the process of making catenary shell using computer was reproduced by Grasshopper script. In order to enhance credibility, two models from Grasshopper script were analyzed by SAP2000; one was just a square-based catenary shell, while the other was the re-created shell originated from the Naturtheater
Supported by : 국토교통과학기술진흥원
- Kim, S. D. and Lee S. W., "A Study on Optimum Shape Finding of Shell-Typed Structures", Journal of the Korean Association for Spatial Structures, Vol. 8, No. 2, 2008, pp. 105-113.
- Isler, H., "New Shapes for Shells", Bulletin of the International Association for Shell Structures, No. 8, Paper C-3, 1961.
- Pendergrast, R. A., "Thin Shell Structure Design Tool", Master Thesis, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2010.
- Chilton, J., "Form-finding and Fabric Forming in the Work of Heinz Isler", Proceedings of Second International Conference on Flexible Formwork (ICFF 2012), 2012, pp. 84-91.
- Davidson, S., "Grasshopper - Algorithmic Modeling for Rhino", 2015, Retrieved from http://www.grasshopper3d.com
- Kim, C. G., Lee, S. S. and Choi, H. C., "A Study on Parametric Modeler to Generate Structural Analysis Model", Proceedings of the Computational Structural Engineering Institute Conference, Vol. 23, No. 1, 2010, pp. 247-250.
- Kim, C. G., Lee, S. S., Choi, H. C. and Lee, J. C. "A Study on Parametric Modeling for the Analysis of Irregular Large Space Structures", Proceedings of the Computational Structural Engineering Institute Conference, Vol. 24, No. 1, 2011, pp. 18-21.
- Piker, D., "Project Kangaroo - Live 3D Physics for Rhino/Grasshopper", 2010, Retrieved from https://spacesymmetrystructure.wordpress.com/2010/01/21/kangaroo/
- Piker, D., "Kangaroo Manual", 2014, Retrieved from https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X-tW7r7tfC9duICi7XyI9wmPkGQUPIm_8sj7bqMvTXs/edit
- Piacentino, G., "Weaverbird - Topological Mesh Editor", 2009, Retrieved from http://www.giuliopiacentino.com/weaverbird
- Abell, M., "Import DXF into SAP2000", CSi Knowledge Base, 2012, Retrieved from https://wiki.csiamerica.com/display/sap2000/Import+DXF+into+SAP2000
- Maurer, T., O'Grady, E., and Tung, E., "Inverse Hanging Membrane: The Naturtheater Grotzingen", Evolution of German Shells Efficiency in Form, 2013, Retrieved from http://shells.princeton.edu/Grotz.html