- Volume 14 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Relationships Between the Appraisal Type of Competencies and Aggression in Elementary School Students
초등학생의 역량에 대한 평가유형과 공격성 간의 관계
- Received : 2016.05.31
- Accepted : 2016.07.20
- Published : 2016.07.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate relationships between the appraisal type of competency and aggression in elementary school students. Appraisal type was divided into inflated/deflated ratings. Appraisal type in competencies, and sex were independent variables, and aggression was dependent variables. SPPC, TRS and AS were administered to 419 students and 20 teachers. The major findings of this study were as follows: First, the correlation of child-teacher with perceived competence ratings was the highest in the scholastic competence. Second, frequency of deflated appraisal was the highest in the behavioral conduct. Third, physical aggression is differentiated by the sex. And physical aggression was high when athletic competence was deflated. Fourth, physical aggression, hostility and anger were high when physical appearance was deflated. Fifth, hostility is significantly different by the interaction effect between sex and appraisal type of behavioral conduct. The above findings imply that appraisal type in competencies does not always result in aggression and this study will provide a useful insight for aggression reduction in elementary school students.
- Jae-Sun Cha, "The relationship between self-esteem and aggression among adolescents: Moderating effects of narcissism, self-concept clarity and positive illusions", Institute for Psychology, Chungbuk University, 2013.
- Toch, H, "Good Violence and Bad Violence : Self-resentations of Aggressors Through Accounts and War Stories", Aggression and violence: social interactionist perspectives, pp. 193-208, 1993.
- Anderson, E, "The code of the streets", Atlantic Monthly, Vol. 273, No. 5, pp. 81-94, 1994.
- Long, D. E, "The anatomy of terrorrism", Free Press, 1990.
- Hyo-Jung Shin, Mun-Hee Lee, "The Effect of Attachment Trauma on the Aggression -Focusing on Mediating Effect of Self-esteem and Moderating Effect of Peer Attachment", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 291-312, 2014.
- Eun-Sun Ji, Mi-Heui Jang, "Aggression and Related Factors in Elementary School Students", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 40, No. 5, pp. 642-649, 2010. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.5.642
- Baumeister, R. F., Smart, L., & Boden, J. M, aggression: The dark side of high self-esteem", Psychological Review, Vol. 103, pp. 5-33, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.103.1.5
- Blaine, B., & Crocker, J, "Self-esteem and self-serving biases in reactions to positive and negative effects: An integrative review." In R. F. Baumeister (Ed.), Self-esteem: The puzzle of low self-regard, pp. 55-85, NJ: Erlbaum, 1993.
- Bushman, B. J., & Baumeister, R. F, "Threatened egotism, narcissism, self-esteem, and direct and displaced aggression: Dose self-love or self-hate led to violence?", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 75, pp. 219-229, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.206
- Kaplan, H. B, "Self-attitudes and deviant behavior: new directions for theory and research", Youth and Society, Vol. 14, N. 2, pp. 185-211, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1177/0044118X82014002004
- Hye-Won Kim, "Psychological and School Maladjustment resulted by Peer Rejection and Peer Victimization among Elementary, Middle, and High School Students", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 321-357, 2011.
- Choon-Jae Lee, Keum-Joo Kwak, "Self-concept social support according to bullying types", The Korean Journal of Developmental Psychology, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 65-80, 2000.
- Hyang-Ja Koh, Young-Ran Kim, Hee-Joung Kim, "Narcissism, Self-Esteem, and Aggression in Juvenile Convicts and Adolescents", Korea Journal of Counseling, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 917-933, 2007. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.8.3.200709.917
- Myoung-Suk Hong, Joo-Kyeong Eo, "The Effects of Narcissism, Empathy ability and Self esteem on middle school students' aggression according to the sex", Korea Journal of Counseling, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 3911-3928, 2013. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.14.6.201312.3911
- Yeon-Ok Ahn, "The Relationships of between Narcissism and Aggressiveness : The Moderating Effects of Self-esteem, Stability of Self-esteem, Self-concept Clarity", Institute for Educational Studies, Ph.D. dissertation, Dankook University, 2013.
- Myoung-hee Youn, Soon-Hye Kim, "The Mediating Effects of Self-perceived Competence on the Relationship between Covert Narcissism and Dysfuntional Anger Expression of Middle School Students", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 541-551, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.5.541
- Woo-bin Noh, Hye-Young Hong, "The influence of covert narcissism on relational aggression of college students: The mediation effect analysis of self-esteem and social anxiety", Korean Journal of Interdisciplinary Therapy, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 81-102, 2015.
- Eun-Hee Kim, Seoung-Ho Kang, "Relationships Among Self-Esteem, Cognitive Emotion Regulation Strategies, and Aggressiveness-A Case of Convicts in a Correctional Institution", Corrections Review, No. 47, pp. 119-143, 2010.
- Soon-Hye Kim, "Relation of Inflated Self-Appraisal in Competencies to Aggression", Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 133-148, 2003.
- Heatherton, T. F., & Polivy, J, "Development and validation of a scale for measuring state self-esteem", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 60, pp. 895-910, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.115
- Darley, J. M., & Goethals, G. R, "People's analyses of the causes of ability-linked performances", In L. Berkowitz (Ed.), Advances in experimental social psychology, Vol. 13, pp. 1-37, Academic Press, 1980.
- Swann, W. B, "Identity negotiation: Where two roads meet", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 53, pp. 1038-1051, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1688
- Marsh, H. W, "A multidimensional, Hierarchical model of self-concept: theoretical and empirical justification", Educational Psychology Review, Vol. 2, pp. 77-172, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01322177
- Harter, S. "The determinant and mediational role of global self-worth in the children", In Eisenberg (Eds), Contemporary Topic of Developmental Psychology, pp. 219-234. Wiley, 1986.
- Harter, S, "The perceived competence scale for children". Child Development, No, 53, pp. 87-97, 1982.
- Harter, S, "Manual for the self-perception profile (Revision of the perceived competence scale)". University of Denver, 1985.
- Shavelson, R. J., Hubner, J. J., & Stanton, G. C, "Self-concept: validation of construct interpretation", Review of Educational Research, Vol. 46, pp. 407-441, 1976. https://doi.org/10.3102/00346543046003407
- Se-Yeon Lee, Mee-Sook Yoo, "Relationships of Self-Esteem and Narcissism with Aggression among Korean Adolescents", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 17, No. 7, pp. 101-128, 2010.
- In-Sun Lee, "A Study on the Differences between Children's Self-perception and Teachers' and Socioemotional Perception for the Children's Capability", Institute for Educational Studies, Kyungwon University, 2000.
- Hai-Ja Uh, "A Study on Relationship between Self-Perceived Competence Social Support and Self-Worth of Children", Institute for Educational Studies, Kyungwon University, 1999.
- Young-Yae Park, "Relationship between Childrearing Behavior and Sibling Relationships and Children's Self-Esteem", Institute for Home Economics, Ph.D. dissertation, Korea University, 1995.
- Hyun-Ok Kim, "Effects of Children's social Network on Self-Perceived Competence, Ego-Resiliency and Psychological Well-Being", Institute for Educational Studies, Ph.D. dissertation, Dongduk Womens University, 2009.
- Ki-Jo Bae, "Socioemotional Perception Depending on Overestimation and Underestimation on Child-Competence", Institute for Home Economics, Kyungpook University, 1992.
- Eun-A Lee, "Development and validation of aggression scale for elementary school students", Institute for Educational Studies, Ph.D. dissertation, Kyungsung University, 2011.
- Soon-Hye Kim, "The Relationships between Self -Other Differences of Perceived Competence Rating and Socioemotional Adjustment", Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 29-57, 2001.
- Marsh, H. W., & Craven, R. G, "Self-other agreement on multiple dimensions of pre-adolescent self-concept: Inferences by teacher, mother, and father", Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol. 83, pp. 393-404, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0622.214.171.1243
- Dae-Myung Kim, "The Effects of the Brain Education Meditation Program on Self-Regulated Learning Ability and the Academic Self-Efficacy of Elementary School Students", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 77-84, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.5.77
- Hye-Ja Kang, "An Analysis on the Two Processes of Social Comparison and Self-Comparison", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 445-452, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.3.445
- Ji-Hye An, You-Dong Yun, Heui-Seok Lim, "The Life Satisfaction Analysis of Middle School Students Using Korean Children and Youth Panel Survey Data", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 197-208, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.2.197