- Volume 14 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Psycho-Social Issues of Returning Veterans with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
외상 후 스트레스 장애를 가진 퇴역 군인의 심리사회적 문제
- Jeon, Mookyong (Hanwool Research Institute Social Welfare)
- 전무경 (한울사회복지연구소)
- Received : 2016.05.19
- Accepted : 2016.07.20
- Published : 2016.07.28
The purpose of this article is to investigate how returning veterans with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) develop psycho-social issues and describe how helping professionals can assist them with re-adapting to the community. Based on a literature review, the author explores the causes of psycho-social issues of returning veterans with PTSD, reviews various ways of helping, and proposes critical factors that helping professionals should be aware of when intervening in psycho-social issues of returning veterans with PTSD. It is found that psycho-social issues of returning veterans with PTSD are closely related to their distrust and aversion to authorities. Group therapy can be used as a viable intervention for alleviating PTSD symptoms and derived psycho-social issues in terms that veterans with PTSD tend to more open with other group members who can share and understand unique experiences.
PTSD;Psycho-social issue;Veteran;Distrust;Group therapy
- L. Martinez, & A. Bingham, "U.S. veterans: By the number". abc News, Nov 11, 2011, http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/us-veterans-numbers/story?id=14928136#4, May 18, 2016.
- Institute of Medicine, "Returning Home from Iraq and Afghanistan: Assessment of Readjustment Needs of Veterans, Service Members, and Their Families". The National Academies Press, 2013. https://www.nationalacademies.org/hmd/-/media/Files/Report%20Files/2013/Returning-Home-Iraq-Afghanistan/Returning-Home-Iraq-Afghanistan-RB.pdf, May 18, 2016.
- M. Kim, M, Sohn, & M. Choi, "Current state and characteristics of military survey in developed countries: Focused on the surveys of United States, Australia, and Canada, Journal of Digital Convergence", Vol. 11, No. 12, pp.537-549, 2013.
- C. W. Hoge, J. L. Auchterlonie, & C. S. Milliken, "Mental health problems, use of mental health services, and attrition form military service after returning from deployment to Iraq or Afghanistan. Journal of the American medical association", Vol. 2, No. 9, pp.1023-1032, 2006.
- D.L. Boutin, "Effective vocational rehabilitation services for military veterans. Journal of Applied Rehabilitation Counseling", Vol. 42, No. 2, pp.24-32, 2011.
- K. Collie, A. Backos, C. Malchiodi, & D. Spiegel, "Art therapy for combat-related PTSD: Recommendations for research and practice. Art therapy. Journal of the American art therapy association", Vol. 23, pp.157-164,2006. https://doi.org/10.1080/07421656.2006.10129335
- N. M. Graf, E. Miller, A. Feist, & S. Freeman, "Returning veterans' adjustment concerns: Family views. Journal of Applied Rehabilitation", Vol. 42, No. 2, pp.13-22, 2011.
- A. N. Fairweather, "Compromised care: The limited availability and questionable quality of health care for recent veterans. Human Rights", Vol. 35, No. 2, pp.2-5, 2008.
- H. K. Kang, & T. A. Bullman, "Risk of suicide among US veterans after returning from Iraq or Afghanistan War Zones. Journal of American Medical Association", Vol. 300, No. 6, pp.652-653, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.300.6.652
- National Alliance to End Homelessness, Fact checker: Veterans and homelessness. http://www.endhomelessness.org/content/article/detail/1401, April 8, 2009.
- D. Jackson, "Obama: NATO summit in 2014 will focus on Afghanistan". USA Today, May 31, 2013, http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/05/31/obama-nato-rasmussen-afghanistan-2014-summit/2376215/, May 31, 2013.
- A. G. Salisbury, & E. J. Burker, "Assessment, treatment, and vocational implications of combat related PTSD in veterans. Journal of Applied Rehabilitation Counseling", Vol. 42, No. 2, pp.42-49, 2011.
- M. R. Romanoff, "Assessing military veterans for posttraumatic stress disorder: A guide for primary care clinicians. Journal of American Academy of Nurse Practitioners", Vol. 18, pp.409-143, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7599.2006.00147.x
- M. Goodman, & D. Weiss, "Double trauma: A group therapy approach for Vietnam veterans suffering from war and childhood trauma. International journal of group psychotherapy", Vol. 48, No. 1, pp.39-54,1998. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207284.1998.11491520
- National Institute of Mental Health, Post-traumatic stress disorder. https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd/index.shtml#part_145372, May 18, 2016.
- D. R. Falvo, "Medical and psycho-social aspects of chronic illness and disability (3rded.)". p.645, Aspen Publisher, 1999.
- M. J. Gray, J. D. Elhai, & B. C. Frueh, "Enhancing patient satisfaction and increasing treatment compliance: Patient education as a fundamental component of PTSD treatment. Psychiatric Quarterly", Vol. 75, No. 4, pp.321-332, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:PSAQ.0000043508.52428.6e
- H. Lubin, & D. R. Johnson, "Interactive psychoeducational group therapy in the treatment of authority problems in combat-related posttraumatic stress disorder. International journal of group psychotherapy", Vol. 50, No. 3, pp.277-296, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207284.2000.11491010
- J. Lee & S. Lee, "A study on the quality of life and recovery for a mental disorder. Journal of Digital Convergence", Vol. 12, No. 6, pp.457-465, 2014.
- C. M. Monson, J. L. Price, & E. Ranslow, "Treating combat PTSD through cognitive processing therapy. Federal Practitioner", Vol. 22, pp.75-83, 2005.
- J. D. Otis, T. M. Keane, R. D. Kerns, C. Monson, & E. Scioli, "The development of an integrated treatment for veterans with comorbid chronic pain and posttraumatic stress disorder. Pain Medicine", Vol. 10, No. 7, pp.1300-1311, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-4637.2009.00715.x
- R. Rosenheck, & A. Fontana, "Use of mental health services by veterans with PTSD after the terrorist attacks of September 11. American Journal of Psychiatry", Vol. 160, No. 9, pp.1684-1690, 2003 https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.160.9.1684
- J. Shay, & J. Munroe, "Group and milieu therapy for veterans with complex post-traumatic stress disorder". P. A. Saigh & J. D. Bremner (Eds.), Posttraumatic stress disorder, pp.391-413, Boston: Allyn and Bacon, 1999.
- E. R. Parson, "Post traumatic narcissism", J. P. Wilson & B. Raphael (Eds.), International handbook of traumatic stress syndrome, pp.821-840, Plenum Press, 1993.
- E. Jones, "War and the practice of psychotherapy: The UK experience 1939-1960. Medical history", Vol. 48, No. 4, pp.493-510, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0025727300007985
- M. Evans, & G. Marad, "A triage model of psychotherapeutic group intervention. Archives of psychiatric nursing", Vol. 7, No 4, pp.244-248, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-9417(93)90033-S
- D. W. Foy, S. M. Glynn, P. P. Schnurr, M. K. Jankowski, M. S. Wattenberg, D. W. Weiss, C. R. Marmar, & F. D. Gusman, "Group therapy". E. B. Foa, T. M. Keane, & M. J. Friedman (Eds.), Effective treatments for PTSD, pp.155-175, The Guilford Press, 2000.
- P. Koller, C. R. Marmar, & N. Kanas, "Psychodynamic group treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder in Vietnam veterans. International journal of group psychotherapy", Vol. 42, No. 2, pp.225-246, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207284.1992.11490687
- J. D. Ford, & J. Stewart, "Group psychotherapy for war-related PTSD with military veterans." B. H. Young & D. D. Blake (Eds.), Group treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder: The series in trauma and loss, pp.75-100. Brunner/Mazel, 1999.
- M. J. Friedman, "Posttraumatic stress disorder among military returnees from Afghanistan and Iraq. American journal of psychiatry", Vol. 163, No. 4, pp.586-593, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1176/ajp.2006.163.4.586
- D. Ready, K. R. Thomas, V. Worley, A. G. Backscheider, L. A. C. Harvey, D. Baltzell, & B. O. Rothbaum, "A filed test of group based exposure therapy with 102 veterans with war-related posttraumatic stress disorder. Journal of traumatic stress", Vol. 21, No. 2, pp.150-157, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1002/jts.20326
- W. Busuttil, G. J. Turnbull, L. A. Neal, J. Rollins, A. G. West, A. G., N. Blanch, & R. Herepath, "Incorporating psychological debriefing techniques within a brief group psychotherapy programme for the treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder. British journal of psychiatry", Vol. 167, pp.495-502, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.167.4.495
- J. D. Ford, C. A. Courtois, K. Steele, O. Van der Hart, & E. R. S. Nijenhuis, "Treatment of complex posttraumatic self dysregulation. Journal of traumatic stress", Vol. 18, pp.437-447, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1002/jts.20051
- H. Lubin, M. Loris, J. Burt, & D. R. Johnson, "Efficacy of psychoeducational group therapy in reducing symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder among multiply traumatized women. American journal of psychiatry", Vol. 155, No. 9, pp.1172-1177, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1176/ajp.155.9.1172
- I. D. Yalom, & M. Leszcz, "The theory and practice of group psychotherapy (5thed.)". p.688, Basic Books, 2005.
- P. P. Schnurr, M. J. Friedman, D. W. Foy, T. Shea, F. Y. Hsieh, P. W. Lavori, S M. Glynn, M. Wattenberg, & N. C. Bernardy, "Randomized trial of trauma-focused group therapy for posttraumatic stress disorder: Result from a department of veterans affairs cooperative study. Archives of general psychiatry", Vol. 60, No. 5, pp.481-489, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.60.5.481
- T. E. Church, "Returning Veterans on Campus with War Related Injuries and the Long Road Back Home. Journal of Postsecondary Education and Disability", Vol. 22, No. 1, pp.43-52, 2009.
- C. Laffaye, S. Cavella, K. Drescher, & C. Rosen, "Relationships among PTSD symptoms, social support, and support source in veterans with chronic PTSD. Journal of Traumatic Stress", Vol. 21, No. 4, pp.394-401, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1002/jts.20348