- Volume 14 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Married Immigrant Women's Parenting Experiences on their Mental Health
결혼이주여성의 자녀양육 경험이 정신건강에 미치는 영향
- Kang, Bok-Jung (Management & Planning Bureau, Korean Institute for Healthy Family) ;
- Kang, Ki-Jung (Dept. of Welfare for the Elderly, Baeseok University) ;
- Park, Su-Sun (Dept. of Social Welfare, Seowon University) ;
- Son, Seo-Hee (Dept. of Family & Resource Management, Sookmyung Women's University)
- Received : 2016.05.18
- Accepted : 2016.07.20
- Published : 2016.07.28
The purpose of this study is to examine the relationships between parenting experiences of married immigrant women and their mental health including self-esteem and depression. Data came from 471 married immigrant women with a child who participated in the home visiting program for children of multicultural families provided by Multicultural Family Support Centers. The results indicated that, the mothers' self-esteem was related to their perceptions of parenting, parenting stress, marital satisfaction, and social support. In addition, the mothers' depression was associated with their proficiency in Korean, household income, perception of parenting, parenting stress, knowledge on child development, marital satisfaction, and social support. These findings suggest that the parenting experiences of married immigrant women are closely related to their mental health. Parenting education programs that increase parenting efficacy and reduce parenting stress would be helpful to improve the mental health of married immigrant women.
Married Immigrant Women;Multicultural Families;Depression;Parenting;Self-esteem;Mental Health
- Y. Kim, A. Lee, & E. Lee, "The social integration of married immigrant women and differentiation in its policy demand." Korean Women's Development Institute, 2013.
- S. S. Park & H. S. Ryu, "A exploratory study on adaptation improvement of multicultural families." Korean Journal of Parent Education, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 25-47, 2009.
- N. Choi, H. Woo, S. Jung, H. Park, & S. Y, "Mothers' parenting stress in multi-cultural families." Journal of Korean Home Management Association, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 255-268, 2009.
- M. Yoon & H. Lee, "A study on the foreign mothers' adaptation through parenthood experiences in rural area." Korean Journal of Family Social Work, Vol. 32, pp. 103-135, 2011.
- H. Moon, J. Kim, M. Sung, S. Son, S. An, & Y. Chang, "Mental health." Chanjisa, 2015.
- H. Hwang, M. Lee, & J. Hong, "Related factors with the depression in the rural people." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 2, No 1, pp. 21-29, 2011.
- H. Park, "Mediated effects of acculturation stress and maternal parenting stress on internalized problems of children in multicultural families: Focused on the mediating role of mothers' depress." Journal of School Social Work, Vol. 27, pp. 353-376, 2014.
- S. Roh & E. Y. Kim, "Factors influencing depression of married immigrant women in rural areas." Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 370-379, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.4.370
- J. Ha & Y. J. Kim, "Factors influencing depression in married immigrant women in Korea." Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 254-264, 2013. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2013.19.4.254
- C. Lee & S. Kim, "Social networks and psychological adjustment of female foreign immigrants in Korea." Korean Journal of Family Welfare, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 73-91, 2010.
- S. Kim, H. Lim, & G. Jeong, "Effects of support from spouse and family on the mental health of marriage immigrant women." Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 13, No. 11, pp. 221-235, 2013.
- J. Yang, "Longitudinal study using autoregressive cross-lagged modeling: Relationship among mother's self-esteem, a value of children's mother and maternal parenting stress." Korean Education Inquiry, Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 303-327, 2015.
- J. Lee & M. Jang, "The mediating and moderating effects of parenting self-esteem on the relationship between parenting-role stress and depression among marred women." The Korean Journal of Counseling, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 339-352, 2008. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.9.2.200806.339
- H. Chun & K. Ok, "The effect of maternity and childrearing system variables on postpartum depression in Korean mothers." Journal of the Society for Cognitive Enhancement and Intervention, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 71-90, 2011.
- H. Y., Jung & O. B. Chung, "The effects of maternal parenting stress and parenting behavior on the school readiness levels of preschool children in multicultural families." The Korean Journal of the Human Development, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 277-297, 2011.
- J. Rhee, "Research on the influence of mothers' enculturation stress and parental stress on children's maladjustment in multicultural families." Korean Journal of Family Welfare. Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 105-125, 2012.
- Ministry of Gender Equality and Family. "2015 Program guidelines for multicultural families," 2015.
- Korean Institute for Healthy Family, "A study on improving efficiency of Home visiting program for multicultural families," 2014.
- K. Yang, S. Kim, J. Park, "A longitudinal study on the development of multicultural children and youth in Korea I." National Youth Policy Institute, 2010.
- H. Chung, "A study of development of the Korean- Marital Satisfaction Scale." Family & Environmental Research, Vol 39, No. 12, pp. 205-224, 2001.
- J. Park, "Study on Social Support Scale development." Unpublished Doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, 1985.
- S. Lee, "Influencing factors of bullying at school." Unpublished Doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, 1999.
- S. Bae & W. Shin, "The factor structure of the CES-D scale: An application of confirmatory factor analysis." Health and Social Science, Vol 18, pp. 165-190, 2005.
- H. J. Yoon & B. H. Cho, "Maternal knowledge of child-rear home environment." Journal of Future Early Childhood Education, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 59-88, 2004.
- The mental health of married immigrant women in South Korea and its risk and protective factors: A literature review vol.64, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/0020764017744581