- Volume 14 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A study on way-finding information design of Seoul metropolitan subway -Focused on Bus transfer information-
수도권 지하철 길 찾기 정보 디자인 연구 -연계버스안내를 중심으로-
- Yun, So-Hee (Dept. of Digital media design, Hongik Univ., International Design School for Advanced Studies) ;
- Kim, Seung-In (Dept. of Digital media design, Hongik Univ., International Design School for Advanced Studies)
- Received : 2016.05.31
- Accepted : 2016.07.20
- Published : 2016.07.28
This study is to improve the design of bus transfer information that can be substantially used. This study has been processed using the following steps. First, I tried to define the information design and way-finding information design. Secondly, I have researched several case studies, and considered solutions. Finally, I evaluated way-finding maps through pair-wise comparisons, and drew needs through an interview. As the result of this research, there were some problems in font size, improper space between letters and non-consistent information. To solve these problems, the information has to be clear using easy symbols to be well-recognized by citizens. Also, the font size needs to be decided by a calculation of minimum legible size of letters. Lastly, a value contrast between a background color and a letter color needs to be applied more than 70 percent for better visibility. The study is expected to be used as a reference which helps informational design to be developed.
Seoul metropolitan subway;Way-finding;Way-finding design;Information design;Bus transfer information
Grant : BK21플러스
Supported by : 홍익대학교
- Origins of the IDA: Information Design Association, http://www.infodesign.org.uk (November 25, 2015)
- DOI : https://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/InformationDesign
- Robert Jacobson, Richard Saul Wurman, Information Design, MITPress, 2000.
- DOI : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayfinding
- Polynesian Voyaging Society, http://www.hokulea.com (November 25, 2015)
- DOI : https://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayfinding
- Hyun-Jeong Cho, "A Study on the evaluation method of the Cognitive Effects of Way-finding Map Use." The Korean Geographical Society, pp.111-115, 2011.
- David Gibson, The Wayfinding Handbook: Information Design for Public Places, PrincetonArchitecturalPress, 2009.
- Wook-Hyun Han, "Calculating The Minimum Legible Size of Letters in Sign Designs." Communication Design Association of Korea, Vol.46, pp.64-71, 2014.
- Min-Chan Ko, "study on visual information guide sign of Seoul metropolitan subway : mainly with guidance information sign in the subway." Ph.D. dissertation, IDAS, Hongik University. 2013.
- Min-Chan Ko, Seung-In Kim, "Studies on Error of Visual Information Design in Seoul Metropolitan Subway -Mainly with Guidance Information System for User Guide-." Journal of Korea Design Knowledge, 25, pp.229-238, 2013.
- Tae-Jin Noh, So-Hyun Kang, Da-Jung Son, Jin-Kyung Paik, "A Research of Directional and Orientational Sign in Exhibition Convention Centers - Focused on Universal Design." Journal of Integrated Design Research, Vol.10, No.3, pp.37-50, 2011. https://doi.org/10.21195/jidr.2011.10.3.003
- Jin-Kyung Paik, "A Comparative Study in Cognitional Difference by contrast change of plate color and type in Sign Design." Korea Society og Color Studies, pp.97-97, 2004.
- Jin-Kyung Paik, Eun-Mi Shim, Soo-Khil Shin, "Visual effect of sign design variables - in case of colors and typography." Korean Society of Design Science, pp.130-131, 2003.
- Myeong-Hwam Park, Color Design Book, Gilbut, 2007.
- Hak-soo You, "A Study on the Promotion of Plaza in Underground Passage Shopping Centers: Focused on underground shoppping center connecting with subway station in Suwon", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 33-38, 2011.
- Kyung-sook Kim, "Advertising Contents based on Semiotic Methodology", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 87-93, 2015.