- Volume 14 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A Plan of Graffiti Utilization as Convergence Design on Urban Cultural Contents
그라피티(Graffiti)를 활용한 도시 문화콘텐츠 융합 디자인 방안
- Lim, Byung-Woo (Dept. of Design Majoring in Industrial Design, Shinhan University)
- 임병우 (신한대학교 디자인학부 산업디자인전공)
- Received : 2016.06.02
- Accepted : 2016.07.20
- Published : 2016.07.28
This study discusses on the city-culture contents convergence design strategy which can be linked to the identity of the city through applying the graffiti on old-town of Dongducheon. First, the background and cultural asset of Dongducheon were researched. Second, the places revealing the identities were investigated. Third, the interviews with the college students in the city were performed. As the result, we found that using graffiti gains positive reaction as the reinforcement factor for the city identification. The exotic image made up by US military presence is evaluated as an important factor for the city identification. The Rock Festival is a representative cultural event derived by the cultural influence from the US military and is one of the crucial elements for the city identification. In this study, graffiti was proposed as the visual expression which can be harmonized with this culture and be reinforced for the city identity. Results of the study concludes with the strategy for the application of graffiti with the expectation for the improvement of city image of Dongducheon through the change of identity, urban regeneration, and making of pollution-free culture.
Graffiti;Convergence;Design;Dongducheon-city;Urban regeneration;Cultural contents
- Jung-Hoon Lee, "Dongducheon's Regional Culture and It's Branding Strategy", Area studies, Gyeonggi Research Institute, Vol.2004, pp112-113, 2004.
- Tae-Ho Kim, "Planning Editorial Design for Brochures of Community Festivals through Teaching and Learning Model in Design Business", A Journal of Brand Design Association of Korea, Vol.10 No.3, 2012.
- Hwa-Sun Lee "Study of Graffiti As an expanded Concept of Modern Drawing", Korea National University of Education, p40, 2013.
- Mal-Hee Cho "A Study on Aesthetic Characters of Textile Design on the Modern Fashion", The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, Vol.6 No.3, 1998.
- Jae-Won Kim, "Study on the Role of Graffiti in Modern Illustration and Pop Culture", Journal of Korea Design Forum, Vol.13, 2006.
- Jae-Woo Liu, Mi-Jung Lee, "A Study on the Role of Graffiti as Public Design", Journal of Korea Illustrators Association, Vol.15, pp184-185, 2007.
- Young-Jae You, "A Study on Graffiti as New Media -Focus on Recent Works of Graffiti as New Media", Bulletin of Korean Society of Basic Design & Art, Vol.8 No.1, p340, 2007.
- Tae-Young Kim "A study on clothing design using Keith Haring's Graffiti : focused on quilting", Ewha Womans University, p5, 2000.
- Soo-Yeun Baek "A study on the ideology of graffiti expressed in advertising media", Chung-Ang University, p24, 2011.
- Ji-Ae Park, "A Study on the Classifications and Characteristics of Graffiti in Korea", Hannam University, p23, 2009.
- Zhang Xi, "The study on the playful expression in graffiti art", Yeungnam University, p11, 2013.
- Kyu-A Park "A Study on the Role of the Art and Culture in Communities for Urban Regeneration : Based on Changshin-dong, Seoul", Hongik University, p6, 2014.
- Yoon-Bae Jang, Hee-Jung Lee, In-Woo Park, Jin-Woo Kim, "Special Strategy of Cultural Marketing and Spatial Design guideline in Gyeonggi-Newtown Project District", Area Studies, Gyeonggi Research Institute, Vol.2009 No.6, 2009.
- Ui-Jin Lee, Jin-Ho Lee, "A case study on public mural for urban renaissance of Busan", Korea Society of Design Science, Vol.2010 No.5, p36, 2010.
- "Dongducheon Rock Festival", Dongducheon Tour Guide Book, www.ebook.ddc21.net p34, 2013.11
- "urban regeneration" https://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki, 2013.11