- Volume 14 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Aromatherapy on Elders' Chronic Pain, Sleep
아로마테라피가 노인의 만성통증과 수면에 미치는 효과
- Lee, Hye-Kyung (Dept. of Nursing, College of Nursing and Healthcare, Kongju National University)
- 이혜경 (공주대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2016.05.24
- Accepted : 2016.07.20
- Published : 2016.07.28
This research applied Aromatherapy Foot Massage on Community elders and examined its effects on their chronic pain, sleep. The study subjects were 43 female elders in the community of including 22people for the experimental group and 21 for the control group. The aromatherapy was carried out 6times for 2weeks to the experimental group, 3times a week and 10minutes per session. The components of aroma essential oil included Chamomile roman, Lavender, Marjoram sweet, and Orange sweet that were diluted 20% into 100mL of Jojoba oil which was the carrier oil. The results, the experimental group that participated in the aromatherapy improved in chronic pain, quality of sleep, and the number of urination during sleep decreased compared to the control group. The research results demonstrated that due to the aroma foot massage, chronic pain decreased, sleep improved.
Aromatherapy;Foot Massage;Elders;Chronic pain;Sleep
Supported by : 공주대학교
- Statistics Korea, "Elderly statistics 2013." Retrieved September 2. 2015, from http://kostat.go.kr. 2015.
- J. I. Seong, J. Y. Eom, Y. J. Park, G. N. Jeong, "Regional revitalization tasks in response to mid-and long-term population changes in rural areas." Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs. Retrieved January 2. 2016, from http://kihasa.re.kr
- Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, "2014 Senior survey." Retrieved September 2. 2015, from http://kihasa.re.kr
- Y. S. Kim & H. S. Byun, "Effects of pain on memory, physical function, and sleep disturbance in older adults with chronic disease: The mediating role of depression." Journal Korean Gerontol Nursing, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 59-67, 2014. https://doi.org/10.17079/jkgn.2014.16.1.59
- H. J. Hwang, M. S. Lee & J. Y. Hong, "Related Factors with the Depression in the Rural People" Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 21-29, 2011.
- E. O. Lee & M. A. Choe, "Pain : Theories and interventions." Shinkwangpub. Seoul. 1996.
- The Korean Geriatric Society, "Textbook of geriatric medicine." Beommun Education. Seoul. 2015.
- M. D. Foreman & M. Wykle, "Nursing standard of Practice protocol, sleep disturbances in elderly patients." Geriatric Nursing, Vol. 16, No. 5, pp. 238-243, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0197-4572(05)80173-9
- B. K. Cha, "Perceived stress, pain self-efficacy and depression according to types of adjustment to chronic pain in elders." Journal Korean Gerontol Nursing. Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 242-252, 2012.
- American Geriatrics Society, "The management of persistent pain in older persons: AGS panel on persistent pain in older persons." Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, Vol. 50, No. 6, pp. S205-S224, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1532-5415.50.6s.1.x
- H. J. Kim, "Chronic pain, sleep pattern and quality of life in the elderly." Unpublished master dissertation. Information in Clinical Nursing Hanyang University. 2013.
- Y. H. Choi, K. R. Shin, O. S. Kim, S. H. Ko, E. S. Kong, K. H. Kim,....E. H. Hwang, "The Elderly health." Hyeonmunsa. p154, 2015.
- J. Y. Lim, "Recent pharmacotherapy treatment guidelines for chronic pain in the elderly." Korean journal of clinical geriatrics, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 85-92, 2010.
- K. H. Roh & H. A. Park, "A meta-analysis of the effects of aromatherapy on psychological variables in nursing." Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 113-122, 2009.
- J. H. Hwang, S. O. Lee & Y. K. Kim, "Effects of thermotherapy combinded with aromatherapy on pain, flexibility, sleep, and depression in elderly women with osteoarthritis." Journal Muscle Joint Health, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 192-202, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2011.18.2.192
- B. Salvatore, (Eds), "The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy." Seoul: Hyeonmunsa. 2007.
- I. J. Kim & E. K. Kim, "Effects of aroma massage on pain, activities of daily living and fatigue in patients with knee osteoarthritis." Journal Muscle Joint Health, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 145-153, 2009.
- S. H. Han, E. S. Nam, D. C. Uhm, K. S. Kim, S. G. Paek & S. H. Park, "Effects of aromatherapy on pain and inflammatory responses in patients with rheumatoid arthritis." Journal Muscle Joint Healt, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 25-34, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2010.17.1.025
- J. E. Lee, Y. W. Lee, H. S. Kim, "Effects of aroma hand massage on the stress response and sleep of elderly inpatients." Journal Korean Academic Fundam Nurs, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 480-487, 2011.
- Yeon-Suk Park, "A Meta-Analysis of the Effects of Aromatherapy Hand Massage" Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 469-479, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.1.469
- H. J. Yang, H. Y. Kang & I. S. Kim, " The effect of aroma foot reflex massage on sleep, depression and problem behaviors on elderly with dementia." Korean Journal Adult Nursing, Vol. 23, No. 6, pp. 574-583, 2011.
- S. J. Won, Y. R. Chae, "The effects of aromatherapy massage on pain, sleep, and stride length in the elderly with knee osteoarthritis." The Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 142-148, 2011.
- Buckle Associates, "M-technique." Retrieved September, 2015, from http://www.rjbuckle.com/m-tecnique.html
- A. C. Parrott & I. Hindmarch, "Factor analysis of a sleep evaluation." Psychological Medicine, Vol. 8, pp. 325-329, 1978. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291700014379
- I. J. Kim, H. J. Choi& B. J. Kim, "Psychometric properties of korean version of modified." Korean Journal Rehabilitation Nursing, Vol. 17, No. 10, pp. 10-17, 2014. https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2014.10
- S. Y. Seo & S. Y. Chang, "Effects of hand massage on sleep, depression and quality of life in the institutionalized elderly women." Korean Journal Women Health Nurse, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 372-380, 2009. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2009.15.4.372
- I. S. Kim, H. J. Yang, E. S. Im & H. Y. Kang, "The effects of qroma foot reflex massage on mood states and brain waves in women elderly with osteoarthritis." Korean Journal Adult Nurses, Vol. 25, No. 6, pp. 644-654, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.6.644
- J. K. Park, "Convergence factors among their physical state, function and activities influencing on the cognition of elderly residents in a community", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 153-162, 2015.
- J. H. Kim, "Power of meditating, how better than pain medication." Maeil Business News Korea. Retrieved. from http://news.mk.co.kr/newsRead. (2016. March 22).
- S. M. Kim, "The effects of aromatherapy and hand massage on anxiety, sleep, and depression in the female aged at residential facilities." Journal Korean Academic Community Health Nurse, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 493-502, 2009.