- Volume 14 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
An Analysis on the Visualization of the Online Newspaper : Focusing on the dependent Online Newspaper and Naver News
온라인신문의 시각화에 대한 분석: 종속형 온라인신문과 네이버 뉴스를 중심으로
- Park, Kwang-Soon (Department of Communication, Cheongju University)
- 박광순 (청주대학교 신문방송학과)
- Received : 2016.04.27
- Accepted : 2016.07.20
- Published : 2016.07.28
This study aims at grasping the degree of change on the layout of newspaper through the analysis on the visualization of the Online Newspaper. It was analyzed on the basis of six dependent Online Newspapers. Six news companies' home pages and NAVER news homepage were compared and analyzed. As a result of the analysis, it has been found that the layout of the Online Newspaper has been changed rapidly through the visualization. Especially, the visualizations of some Online Newspaper have already reached the high level, and those of other newspapers are also under way rapidly. The visualization of the Online Newspaper is going on in the way that the size of images and the number of times of their being used in the news stories are increasing. Consequently, the visualization of the Online Newspaper follows the course of that of paper-based newspaper, and the relative importance of 'a newspaper that sees with an eye' to 'a newspaper that reads with an eye' grows bigger and bigger.
Online Newspaper;visualization;Editorial elements. Portal News;Journalism
- V. Doudaki, "News content online: Patterns and norms under convergence dynamics." Journalism. Vol.16, No.2, pp.257-277, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1177/1464884913517657
- H. Ansgard, "Network journalism : journalistic practice in interactive spheres. New York: Routledge", 2011.
- A. Nguyen, "Harnessing the potential of online news: Suggestions from a study on the relationship between online news advantages and its post-adoption consequences." Journalism. Vol.11, No.2, pp. 223-241, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1177/1464884909355910
- L. Cooke, "A visual convergence of print, television and the internet: charting years of design change in news presentation." New Media & Society. Vol.17, No.1, pp. 22-46, 2005.
- S. Eugenia, & V. Andreas, "The handbook of global online journalism. Wiley-Blackwell", 2012.
- J. S. Knox, "Visual minimalism in hard news: thumbnail faces on the smh online home page, Social Semiotics." Vol.19, No.2, pp. 165-185, 2009b. https://doi.org/10.1080/10350330902816194
- J. S. Knox, "Punctuating the home page: image as language in an online newspaper." Discourse & Communication. Vol.3, No.2, pp. 145-172, 2009a. https://doi.org/10.1177/1750481309102450
- C. Richard, Online journalism : "reporting, writing, and editing for new media. Southbank : Thomson/ Wadsworth", 2005.
- I. J. Aalbersberg, & P. C. Alvarez, J. Jomier, C. Marion, E. Zudilova-Seinstra, "Bringing 3D visualization into the online research article." Information Services. Vol.34, pp. 27-37, 2014. https://doi.org/10.3233/ISU-140721
- K. S. Park, "An Analysis of the Influence of the Editorial Elements of Portal News Section on the News User's Choice of Articles." Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. Vol.13, No.5, pp. 2087-2095, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.5.2087
- S. S. "Kim, Online Journalism. Seoul: Dori Press", 2003
- S. S. Joe, "The effect of online newspaper editing, Seoul: Media Laboratory Press", 2004.
- R. Thompson, "Looking healthy: visualizing mental health and illness online." Visual Communication Vol.11, No.4, pp. 395-420, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1177/1470357212453978
- P. F. Merle, C. Callison, & R. G. Cummins, "How Arithmetic Aptitude Impacts Attention, Memory, and Evaluation of Static Versus Dynamic Infographics in Online News: An Eye-Tracking Study." Electronic News. Vol.8, No.3, pp. 177-197, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1177/1931243114557595
- S. Leckner, "Presentation factors affecting reading behaviour in readers of newspaper media: an eye-tracking perspective." Visual Communication. Vol.11, No.2, pp. 163-184, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1177/1470357211434029
- K. S. Park, K. "The Change of Newspaper since the Mid 1980s in Korea: focusing upon Chosun Ilbo and DongA Ilbo(1984-2006)." Korea Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies. Vol.52, No.4, pp. 278-298, 2008.
- G. A. Gladney, "The McPaper revolution: USA today-style innovation at large U.s. dailies." Newspaper Research Journal. Vol.11, pp. 58-72, 1992.
- K. S. Park, "An Analysis of the Contents and Make-up of Page in a News Story of the Internet Newspaper: focusing on Naver, Daum, Nate, Yahoo." Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. Vol.15, No.3, pp. 1345-1354, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.3.1345
- W. G. Kim, and C. S. Kim, Internet News Services. Seoul: Korea Press Foundation. Press, 2010.
- H. S. Jang, "Understanding newspaper in changing times, Seoul: Nanam Press", 2014.