- Volume 14 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Family Conflict, Social Support and Self-Esteem on Life Satisfaction of the Aged
가족갈등, 사회적지지 및 자아존중감이 노인의 생활만족도에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Yi-cheol (Graduate School of Social Welfare, Hansei Unversity) ;
- Paik, Jina (Department of Social Welfare, Hansei Unversity)
- Received : 2016.05.24
- Accepted : 2016.07.20
- Published : 2016.07.28
This study aims to examine the effect of family conflict, social support, and self-esteem on alife satisfaction of the aged. For the study, the subjects(n=296) obtained from the Korea Welfare Panel Survey were analyzed by utilizing the correlation analysis and hierarchical regression analysis. The results founded from data analysis are as follows: First, while family conflict influenced negatively life satisfaction of the aged, social support and self-esteem had a positive effect on it. Second, self-esteem was shown to have the highest effect among other independent variables on life satisfaction of the aged. The results showed that family conflict, social support and self-esteem were the important factors which played the significant role in the change of life satisfaction of the aged. On the basis of the findings, the need and policy support to enhance social support/self-esteem and to weaken family conflict were suggested.
Life Satisfaction;Family Conflict;Social Support;Self-Esteem;Regression Analysis
- Statistics Korea, http://kosis.kr
- W. E. Roby․J. Frandsen․A. Davidson, "Strengthening at-risk families by involving the extended family." Journal of Family Social Work, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 1-22, 2003.
- J. Y. An․E. Y. Han, "A study on the family conflicts in the elderly supporting." Journal of Welfare for the Aged. Vol. 61, pp. 267-290, 2013.
- H. S. Seon, "Arriving home environment, side a study on the causes of juvenile delinquency and measures." Wonkwang University graduate School Thesis. 1996.
- K. W. Sung, "A comparative study on daily life activity and life satisfaction between the elderly at an institution and those at home." Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 105-117, 1999.
- T. H. Kim․E. J. Han, "A literature review about measurement and intervention in elder abuse." Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society. Vol. 17, NO. 23, pp. 51-73, 1997.
- S. J. Choi, "A study on the development of measuring scale of the concept of life satisfaction." Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 16, NO. 22, pp. 137-150, 1986.
- J. H. Lee, "The middle aged's perception of aging and physical, financial & social preparation for later life: focus on gender differences." Journal of the Korean Society Community Living Science, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 275-289, 2009.
- J. Paik, "Experiences of elderly female caregivers of spouses." The Korean Journal of Humanities and the Social Sciences, Vol. 38, No. 4, pp. 93-121, 2015.
- W. J. Strawbridge․M. I. Wallhagen․S. J. Shema, "New burdens or more of the same? comparing grandparent, spouse, and adult-child caregivers." The Gerontologist, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 505-510, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/37.4.505
- B. G. Park, "Analysis of a cause-effect relationship between the perception of elder abuse and family support and incidence of elder abuse mediated by family conflict." Journal of Welfare for the Aged, Vol. 28, pp. 403-428, 2005.
- S. Y. Kim, "A study of the effects of abuse experience on the elderly life satisfaction in Korea." Journal of Welfare for the Aged Institute, Vol. 28, pp. 175-202, 2005.
- Y. J. Park․I. O. Song, "The analysis on the causal model the burden of family conflict, family support and caregiving burden." Journal of Welfare for the Aged Institute, Vol. 39, pp. 53-78, 2008.
- J. Y. Kim․B. S. Kwon, "The relationship of life stress, self-esteem and life satisfaction in elderly." Journal of Welfare for the Aged, Vol. 37, pp. 111-130, 2007.
- S. Y. Oh, "The old man's family function related to life satisfaction and loneliness of the elderly." Journal of Welfare for Aged vol. 42, pp. 26-29, 2008.
- J. D. Kwon․J. Y. Cho, "The factors affecting on life satisfaction of the aged." Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 61-76, 2000.
- J. Y. Kim․J. M. Lee, "Influences of elder education on life-satisfaction: focused on the mediating effects of social support and self-esteem." Journal of Welfare for the Aged, Vol. 48, pp. 7-30, 2010.
- M. S. Jang․K. S. Park, "Factors affecting life satisfaction for the aged : from the ecosystem perspective." Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 232-266, 2012.
- S. D. Jung, "Factors affecting self-esteem of the aged at an institution." Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 10, pp. 61-76, 2004.
- T. H. Kim․E. J. Han, "Relationship of self-esteem, stress and social support experience to psychological well-being among living-alone elderly people." Korean Association of Family Relation Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 81-106, 2004.
- M. L. Kim, "A study on the effects of social support on the elderly under stressful situation." The Research of Social Welfare, Vol. 25, pp. 41-68, 2004.
- M. K. Kim․D. Park․O. Ahn, "The caregiving burden of primary caregiver based on nursing needs of long-term care insurance grade." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 7-16, 2014.
- C. O. Jang, "A study of family function and convergent adaptation hearing protection factor." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 119-125, 2015.
- S. H. Jang․C. S. Kim․M. R. Kim, "An effect of the social support on the self-esteem and life satisfaction in elderly." Journal of East-West Nursing Research, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 39-46, 2008.
- M. S. Lee․C. S. Shin․S. N. Yang, "The caregiving experience of male family care worker and convergence policy implications." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 283-293, 2014.