- Volume 14 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Association of Osteoarthritis with prevalence of Metabolic syndrome: based on 2009-2010 Korean National Health & Nutrition Survey
골관절염과 대사증후군과의 상관관계: 2009-2010년 국민건강영양조사 이용
- Oh, Ji-Eun (Department of Biomedical Laboratory Science, Far East University) ;
- Lim, Se-Hyun (Department of Nursing, Far East University)
- Received : 2016.06.02
- Accepted : 2016.07.20
- Published : 2016.07.28
This study was attempted to investigate the possible association of osteoarthritis with the metabolic syndrome (MetS) and its components in Korean adults based on the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES). The prevalence of MetS was significantly increased in OA group in women. To investigate the association between the components for MetS and osteoarthritis, we analyzed the mean values of 5 components of MetS, waist circumference (WC), triglyceride (TG), HDL-cholesterol, systolic blood pressure, and fasting plasma glucose in normal and OA group. In women, WC, TG, HDL, and systolic blood pressure were associated with the development of OA. Moreover, accumulation of components of MetS was significantly related to the prevalence of OA in Korean men and women. These data suggest that MetS might be a novel risk factor for OA and MetS should be taken into account in the prevention and treatment of OA for Korean adults as well.
Osteoarthritis;Metabolic syndrome;MetS risk factors;age;abdominal obesity
Supported by : 한국의학연구소
- D.T. Felson, R.C Lawrence, M.C. Hochberg, T. McAlidon, P. A Dieppe, M. A. Minor, S. N. Blair, B.M. Berman, J. F. Fries, M. Weinberger, K. R. Lorig, J. J. Jacobs, V. Goldberg, "Osteoarthritis: new insights. Part 1: the disease and its risk factors", Ann Intern Med, Vol. 133, pp. 635-646, 2000. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-133-8-200010170-00016
- A. A Guccione, D. T Felson, J. J. Anderson, J. M. Anthony, Y. Zhang, P. W. Wilson, M. Kelly-Hayes, P. A. Wolf, B. E. Kreger, W. B. Kannel, "The effects of specific medical conditions on the functional limitations of elders in the Framingham Study", Am J Public Health, Vol. 84, pp. 351-358, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.84.3.351
- D. T. Felson, Y. Zhang, "An update on the epidemiology of knee and hip osteoarthritis with a view to prevention", Arthritis Rheum, Vol.41, pp. 1343-1355, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1002/1529-0131(199808)41:8<1343::AID-ART3>3.0.CO;2-9
- J. D. Katz, S. Agrawal, M. Velasquez, "Getting to the heart of the matter: osteoarthritis takes its place as part of the metabolic syndrome", Curr Opin Rheumatol, Vol. 22, pp. 512-519, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1097/BOR.0b013e32833bfb4b
- R. F. Loeser, "Aging and osteoarthritis", Curr Opin Rheumatol, Vol. 23, pp. 492-496, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1097/BOR.0b013e3283494005
- L.W. Cho, "Metabolic syndrome", Singapore Med J, Vol. 52, pp. 779-785, 2011.
- S. M. Grundy, J. I. Cleeman, S. R. Daniels, K. A. Donato, R. H. Eckel, B. A. Franklin, D. J. Gordon, R. M. Krauss, P. J. Savage, S. C. Jr. Smith, J.A. Spertus, F. Costa, "Diagnosis and management of the metabolic syndrome: an American Heart Association/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Scientific Statement", Circulation, Vol. 112, pp. 2735-2752, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.105.169404
- S. M. Grundy, "Metabolic syndrome: a multiplex cardiovascular risk factor", J Clin Endocrinol Metab, Vol. 92, pp. 399-404, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2006-0513
- J. Jeppesen, T. W. Hansen, S. Rasmussen, H. Ibsen, C. Torp-Pedersen, S. Madsbad, "Insulin resistance, the metabolic syndrome, and risk of incident cardiovascular disease: a population-based study", J Am Coll Cardiol, Vol. 49, pp. 2112-2119, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2007.01.088
- S. Malik, N. D. Wong, S. S. Franklin, T. V. Kamath, G. J. L'Italien, J. R. Pio, G. R. Williams, "Impact of the metabolic syndrome on mortality from coronary heart disease, cardiovascular disease, and all causes in United States adults", Circulation, Vol. 110, pp. 1245-1250, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000140677.20606.0E
- P. W. Wilson, R. B. D'Agostino, H. Parise, L. Sullivan, J. B. Meigs, "Metabolic syndrome as a precursor of cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes mellitus", Circulation, Vol. 112, pp. 3066-3072, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.105.539528
- C. M. Alexander, P. B. Landsman, S. M. Teutsch, S. M. Haffner, "NCEP-defined metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and prevalence of coronary heart disease among NHANES III participants age 50 years and older", Diabetes, Vol. 52, pp. 1210-1214, 2003. https://doi.org/10.2337/diabetes.52.5.1210
- D. J. Hart, T.D. Spector, "The relationship of obesity, fat distribution and osteoarthritis in women in the general population: the Chingford Study". J Rheumatol, Vol. 20, pp.331-335, 1993.
- J. L. van Saase, J. P. Vandenbroucke, L. K. van Romunde, H. A.Valkenburg, "Osteoarthritis and obesity in the general population. A relationship calling for an explanation", J Rheumatol, Vol. 15, pp. 1152-1158, 1988.
- D. Leroith, "Pathophysiology of the metabolic syndrome: implications for the cardiometabolic risks associated with type 2 diabetes", Am J Med Sci, Vol. 343, pp. 13-16, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1097/MAJ.0b013e31823ea214
- N. Yoshimura, S. Muraki, H. Oka, H. Kawaguchi, K. Nakamura, T. Akune, "Association of knee osteoarthritis with the accumulation of metabolic risk factors such as overweight, hypertension, dyslipidemia, and impaired glucose tolerance in Japanese men and women: the ROAD study", J Rheumatol, Vol. 38, pp. 921-930, 2011. https://doi.org/10.3899/jrheum.100569
- J. H. Kellgren, "Osteoarthrosis in patients and populations", Br Med J, Vol. 2, pp. 1-6, 1961. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.2.5243.1
- M.A. Cimmino, M. Cutolo, "Plasma glucose concentration in symptomatic osteoarthritis: a clinical and epidemiological survey", Clin Exp Rheumatol, Vol. 8, pp. 251-257, 1990.
- D. J. Hart, D. V. Doyle, T. D. Spector, "Association between metabolic factors and knee osteoarthritis in women: the Chingford Study", J Rheumatol, Vol. 22, pp. 1118-1123, 1995.
- G. Singh, J. D. Miller, F. H. Lee, D. Pettitt, M. W. Russell, "Prevalence of cardiovascular disease risk factors among US adults with self-reported osteoarthritis: data from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey", Am J Manag Care, Vol. 8, S pp. 383-391, 2002.
- R. A. Puenpatom, T. W. Victor, "Increased prevalence of metabolic syndrome in individuals with osteoarthritis: an analysis of NHANES III data", Postgrad Med, Vol. 121, pp. 9-20, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3810/pgm.2009.11.2073
- S. H. Lee, "Relationship between obesity and dental caries", J Dig. Conv., Vol. 12, No. 12, pp. 633-641, 2014
- Y. M. Kim, S. H. Kang, "Convergence analysis of determinants affecting on geographic variations in the prevalence of arthritis in Korean women using data mining", J Dig. Conv., Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 277-288, 2015.
- T. Y. Lee, S. M. Choi, "Convergence study for relationship between cholesterol level on serum and depression in Korean adults", J Dig. Conv., Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 269-276, 2015.
- Third Report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III) final report. Circulation, Vol. 106, pp. 3143-3421, 2002.
- S. Y. Lee, H. S. Park, D. J. Kim, J. H, Han, S. M. Kim, G. J. Cho, D. Y. Kim, H. S. Kwon, S. R. Kim, C. B. Lee, S. J. Oh, C. Y. Park, H. J. Yoo, "Appropriate waist circumference cutoff points for central obesity in Korean adults", Diabetes Res Clin Pract, Vol. 75, pp. 72-80, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2006.04.013
- J. L. Busija, L. Bridgett, S. R. Williams, R. H. Osborne, R. Buchbinder, L. March L, M. Fransen, "Osteoarthritis", Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol, Vol. 24, pp. 757-768, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.berh.2010.11.001
- W. Y. Kim, J. E. Kim, Y. J. Choi, K. B. Huh, "Nutritional risk and metabolic syndrome in Korean type 2 diabetes mellitus", Asia Pac J Clin Nutr, Vol. 17, Suppl 1. pp. 47-51, 2008.
- DOI: http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jl/2011/721686/
- J. Ye, "Emerging role of adipose tissue hypoxia in obesity and insulin resistance", Int J Obes (Lond), Vol. 33, pp. 54-66, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1038/ijo.2008.229
- A .J. Hanley, A. Festa, R. B. Jr. D'Agostino, L. E. Wagenknecht, P.J. Savage, R. P. Tracy, M. F. Saad, S. M. Haffner, "Metabolic and inflammation variable clusters and prediction of type 2 diabetes: factor analysis using directly measured insulin sensitivity". Diabetes, Vol. 53, pp. 1773-1781, 2004. https://doi.org/10.2337/diabetes.53.7.1773
- F. B. Hu, J. B. Meigs, T. Y. Li, N. Rifai, J. E. Manson, "Inflammatory markers and risk of developing type 2 diabetes in women", Diabetes, Vol. 53, pp. 693-700, 2004. https://doi.org/10.2337/diabetes.53.3.693
- K. Lee, J. A. Villena, Y. S. Moon, K. H. Kim, S. Lee, C. Kang, H. S. Sul, "Inhibition of adipogenesis and development of glucose intolerance by soluble preadipocyte factor-1 (Pref-1)", J Clin Invest, Vol. 111, pp. 453-461, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI15924
- E. Toussirot, G. Streit, D. Wendling, "The contribution of adipose tissue and adipokines to inflammation in joint diseases", Curr Med Chem, Vol. 14, pp. 1095-1100, 2007. https://doi.org/10.2174/092986707780362826
- J. Bondeson, A. B. Blom, S. Wainwright, C. Hughes, B. Caterson, W. B. van den Berg, "The role of synovial macrophages and macrophage-produced mediators in driving inflammatory and destructive responses in osteoarthritis", Arthritis Rheum, Vol. 62, pp. 647-657, 2010.
- B. Gustafson, "Adipose tissue, inflammation and atherosclerosis", J Atheroscler Thromb, Vol. 17, pp. 332-341, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5551/jat.3939
- R. Lago, R. Gomez, F. Lago, J. Gomez-Reino, O. Gualillo, "Leptin beyond body weight regulation--current concepts concerning its role in immune function and inflammation", Cell Immunol, Vol. 252, pp. 139-145, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cellimm.2007.09.004
- M. Sowers, C. A. Karvonen-Gutierrez, R. Palmieri-Smith, J. A. Jacobson, Y. Jiang, J. A. Ashton-Miller, "Knee osteoarthritis in obese women with cardiometabolic clustering", Arthritis Rheum, Vol. 61, pp. 1328-1336, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.24739
- Hye-Jung Choi, Soon-Gi Back, "A Study on Depressive disposition by Convergence approach of Leisure History and Family situation in Elderly Women", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 295-302, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.295
- Bae-won Lee, Jae-chul Song, Hun-young Ha, Sang-hyo Sim, Jae-hun Shim, "A Study on Obesity-related Factors Through the Convergence of Body Mass Index (BMI) and Fat-CT in Middle-aged Women Living in Incheon", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 19-28, 2015.