- Volume 14 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Relationships between Stress and ADL in Elderly Living Alone
융합시대의 일 지방 독거노인의 일상생활동작과 스트레스
- Seo, Eun-Joo (Dept. of Nursing, Gumi University) ;
- Cha, Nam-Hyun (Dept. of Nursing, College of Natural Science, Andong National University)
- Received : 2016.05.17
- Accepted : 2016.07.20
- Published : 2016.07.28
This study was to identify the relationships between activities of daily living(ADL) and stress by health characteristics in elderly living alone. A total of 260 subjects were selected through convenient sampling. Data were collected with a self-reported questionnaire from October 20 to November 20, 2014. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson Correlation Coefficients. Differences in ADL and stress according to health characteristics were as follows. ADL were significantly different according to problem of dietary habits. drinking, unsuitable health care, management groups. Stress were significantly different according to stress and availability and drug abuse. There was a negative correlation between ADL and stress. The findings of this study may be useful in understanding the health status of elderly living alone and developing more specific programs about ADL and stress control. Getting older, with the change in weight and chronic diseases, as the elderly living alone are indisposed with ADL, the applicatiom of physical activity programs and a stress management strategy is required.
Aged;Activities of Daily Living;Life Stress;Health;Life
- Korean Institute for Health and Social Affairs, "2014 A study on the status of elderly", Ministry of Health & Welfare, 2015.
- P. S. Lee, Y. M. Lee., J. Y. Lim., R. I. Hwang, E. Y. Park, "The relationship of stress, socal support and depression in the elderly", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 34, No. 3, pp477-484, 2004. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.3.477
- J. I. Jeo, "Sad in the path of twilight years of life", Paju: May of Spring, 2013.
- Y. J. Kim, 'Mediating effects of social supports on the decease of depression of the rural elderly", International Journal of Welfare for the Aged, Vol. 46, pp77-104, 2009.
- U. H. Cho, "A study on activities of daily living and nursing need of the community elders", Research for Nursing, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp66-81. 1994.
- W. S. Kang, J. W. Moon, J. S. Park, "The relationship among abuse, self-esteem, ADL, psychosocial factors and depression in the elderly", Health and Social Science, Vol. 29, pp153-183. 2011.
- Y. H. Yang, "Theoretical structure model for the caregivers role stress and health" Unpublished doctoral dissertation. Seoul National University, 1992.
- S. H. Jeong, M. J. Suh, "The need for rehabilitation day care program service of stroke survivors", Korean Academic Society of Rehabilitation Nursing, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp29-44. 1999.
- R. Melzack, "The McGil pain questionnare: major properties and scoring methods", Pain, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp277-299, 1975. DOI: 10.1016/0304-3959(75)90044-5 https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(75)90044-5
- M. J. Ha, H. S. Park, "A study on the health and nutrition status of the poor living-alone elderly" Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp123-133, 2002.
- Y. H. Bae, H. K. Lee, "The relationship between chewing ability and health status in the urban elderly who resides in the house", Yeungnam University Journal of Medicine, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp51-59, 2004. https://doi.org/10.12701/yujm.2004.21.1.51
- J. K. Park, "Convergence factors among their physical state, function and activities influencing on the cognition of elderly residents in a community", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp153-162, 2015. DOI : 10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.153 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.153
- E. Albanese, C. Taylor, M. Siervo, R. Stewart, M. J. Prince, D. Acosta, "Dementia severity and weight loss: a comparison across eight cohorts. The 10/66 study", Alzheimer's & Dementia, Vol. 9, No. 6, pp649-656, 2013. DOI: 10.1016/j.jalz.2012.11.014 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jalz.2012.11.014
- K. S. Yim, ""A study of the factors associated with nutritional risks in Korean adults and aged", Korean Journal of Community Nutrition, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp967-968, 2001.
- M. A. Lee, "The effects of social quality on suicide ideation of Korean elderly", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 271-281, 2015. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2015.13.3.271 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.3.271
- S. J. Yoon, "Impact of depression and family relationship on problem drinking among older adults", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 11-17, 2015. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2016.14.4.11 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.4.11
- B. S. Cho, D. K. Kim, S. I Lee, B. M. Cho, Y. O. Young, K. W. Koh, "A study on food intake and associated factors of the urban poor elderly", Korean Journal of Preventive Medicine, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp59-72, 1995.
- P. A. Boyle, R. S. Wilson, A. S. Buchman, N. T. Aggarwal, T. Tang, Z. Arvanitakis, J. Kellyae, D. A. Bennettac, "Lower extremity motor function and disability in mild cognitive impairment", Experimental Aging Research, Vol. 33, No. 3, pp355-371, 2007. DOI:10.1080/03610730701319210 https://doi.org/10.1080/03610730701319210
- M. J. Cho, "The relationship between dementia and the number of remaining tooth of the elderly women on senior center", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 279-286, 2015. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2016.14.2.279 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.2.279
- M. M. Kala, M. S. Eleanor, W. J. H. Brenda, S. Richard, M. R. Susan, & S. Susanne, et al. "Prevalence and correlates of anxiety symptoms in well-functioning older adults: findings from the health aging and body composition study", Journal of American Geriatrics Society, Vol. 51, No. 4, pp499-504, 2003. DOI : 10.1046/j.1532-5415.2003.51158.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1532-5415.2003.51158.x
- J. Rangra., A. Pelissola, "Anxiety disorders in the elderly: clinical and therapeutic aspects", Psychologie & Neuropsychiatrie du Vieillissement, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp179-187, 2006.
- K. S. Kim, J. W. Moon, J. S. Park, "The analysis on mental health of the elderly in Korea", Health and Social Science, Vol. 23, pp105-132. 2008.
- H. J. Choi, S. G. Back, "A Study on Depressive disposition by Convergence approach of Leisure History and Family situation in Elderly Women", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 295-302, 2015. DOI:10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.295 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.295
- M. K. Kim, D. H. Park, O. H. Ahn, "The Care Giving Burden of Primary Caregiver based on Nursing Needs of Long-term Care lnsurance Grade", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 7-16, 2014.
- M. J. Kwon, "Convergence study on the relation between cognition, depression and aggression in the elderly", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 171-176, 2015. DOI: 10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.171 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.171