- Volume 14 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Influence of the number of remaining teeth of on sleep time and stress of adults older than 40 years
40세 이상 성인의 수면시간과 스트레스가 잔존 치아 수에 미치는 영향
- Cho, Min-Jeong (Department of Preventive Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Kim, Hae-Kyoung (Department of Dental Hygiene, Daegu Health College) ;
- Oh, Na-Rae (Department of Dental Hygiene, Youngnam Foreign language College)
- Received : 2016.04.28
- Accepted : 2016.07.20
- Published : 2016.07.28
This paper aimed to study on the relevance of mental health and oral health. The subjects were recruited total 3,261 elderly of over 40 years old, using the Sixth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(KNHANES). All the collected data were analyzed by chi-square test, t-test, and logistic regression using SPSS 23.0 version. Logistic regression was used to analyze the relationship of sleeping time or stress and the number of remaining teeth, and 95% confidence intervals were computed. Sleeping time odds ratio(OR) of the number of remaining teeth was 1.52 (95% confidence interval: 1.074-2.135) and Stress odds ratio(OR) was 2.39 (95% confidence interval: 1.855-3.090), but there is no statistically significant difference after adjusted age, gender and other variables.
Sleep time;Stress;Remaining teeth;Middle age;Convergence
- S. Vidacek, B. Radosevic-Vidacek, L. Kaliterna, Z. Prizmic, "Individual differences in circadian rhythm parameters and short-term tolerance or shift work: a follow up study", Ergonomics, Vol. 36, No. 1-3, pp. 117-123, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1080/00140139308967862
- S. J. Kim, "The relationship between Korean adults mental health and dental caries", [Master's thesis], Daegu: Kyungpook National University; 2014, [Korean].
- S. Goyal, S. Jajoo, G. Nagappa, G. Rao, "Estimation of relationship between psychosocial stress and periodontal status using serum cortisol level: a clinico-biochemical study", Indian J Dent Res, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 6-9, 2011. https://doi.org/10.4103/0970-9290.79966
- H. M. Koo, Q. S. Au, Y. H. Chun, J. P. Hong, "Change of the amylase secretion on the rat submandibular gland in the restraint stress condition", Korean oral Med and Pain, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 57-67, 2007.
- Y. Kimura, H. Ogawa, A. Yoshihara, T. Yamaga, T. Tkiguchi, T. Wada et al. "Evaluation of chewing ability and its relationship with activities of daily living, depression, cognitive status and food intake in the community-dwelling elderly", Geriatr Gerontol Int, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 718-725, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1111/ggi.12006
- E. S. Jung, K. H. Lee, " Relationships between subjective teeth awareness and satisfaction on self-esteem", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 315-324, 2016.
- H. M. Kim, " The effect of walking exercise on the improvement of housewives' self-esteem, stress, depression in terms of convergence", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 12, pp. 453-460, 2015.
- E. H. Kim, Y. C. Kwon, "Factors influencing quality of life of elders in urban regions", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 7, pp. 225-235, 2013.
- K. M. Kim, H. Y. Kim, "The system contemplation of sadness mediation program applied to internal senior citizens", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 12, pp. 391-400, 2015.
- Y. B. Kim, S. H. Lee, "The depression symptom and poverty in later life: Interaction effect between poverty and informal social relationships", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 12, pp. 401-411, 2015.
- T. Yamamoto, K. Kondo, H. Hira, M. Nakade, J. Aida, Y. Hirata, "Association between self-reported dental health status and onset of dementia: a 4-year prospective cohort study of older japanese adults from the Aichi Gerontological Evaluation Study (AGES) project", Psychosom Med, Vol. 73, No. 3, pp. 241-248, 2010.
- H. Selye, "Forty years of stress research: principal remaining problems and misconceptions", Canadian Medical Association, Vol. 115, No. 1, pp. 53-56, 1976.
- J. H. Milsum, "A model of the eustress system for health/illness", Behavioral Science, Vol. 30, No. 4, pp. 179-186, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1002/bs.3830300402
- M. Maurice, M. Ohayon and Colin, Shapiro, "Sleep disturbances and psychiatric disorders associated with post traumatic stress disorder in the general population", Comprehensive Psychiatry, Vol. 41, No. 6, pp. 469-478, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1053/comp.2000.16568
- P. H. Kim, H. S. Kim, "Relationship between perceived stress, mental health, and social support in community residents", J Korean Public Health Nurs, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 197-210, 2010.
- Y. H. Kim, J. Y. Park, "A study about stressors that middle-aged men go through and coping behavior", J of Korean Home Management Association, Vol. 19, No. 6, pp. 157-172, 2001.
- H. K. Chang, "Influencing factors on fatigue of middle aged women", J Korean Acad Adult Nurs, Vol. 22, No. 6, pp. 634-643, 2010.
- H. B. Bosworth, L. A. Bastian, M. N. Kuchibhatla, D. C. Steffens, C. M. McBride, C. S. Skinner, "Depressive symptoms, menopausal status, and climacteric symptoms in women at midlife", Psychosom Med, Vol. 63, No. 4, pp. 603-608, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006842-200107000-00013
- Y. J. Lee, K. J. Choi, "The effect of Korean adult's mental health on quality of life- The fifth Korea national health and nutrition examination survey, 2010", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 321-327, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.11.321
- H. K. Shin, "Effects of depressive mood state on self-focused attention, somato-sensory amplification, somatic attribution, and somatic symptoms in somatization group", The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 467-488, 2006.
- Y. Vered, V. Soskolne, A. Zini, A. Livny, H. D. Sqan-Cohen, "Psychological distress and social support are determinants of changing oral health status among an immigrant population from Ethiopia", Community dentistry oral epidemiology, Vol. 39, No. 2, pp. 145-153, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2010.00581.x
- R. Lopez, V. Ramirez, P. Marro, V. Baclum, "Psychosocial distress and periodontitis in adolescents", Academy of Minimally Invasive dentistry, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 1211-218, 2011.
- S. A. Jang, Y. S. Kim. "Effects of stress and depression on oral health status of middle aged population in Korea", Hanyang University Journal of Aging Society, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 71-90, 2013.
- Y. S. Won, J. H. Kim, "The relationship between psychological health and self-rated oral health on convergence study", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 7, pp. 239-248, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.7.239
- M. Partinen, "Sleep disorders and stress", J Psychosom Res, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 89-91, 1994.
- S. G. Kang, H. K. Yoon, B. J. Ham, Y. K. Choi, S. H. Kim, S. H. Joe, K. Y. Suh, L. Kim, "Effects of minor stressful events on sleep in college students", Sleep Medicine and Psychophysiology, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 48-55, 2002.
- A. Tamakoshi, Y. Ohno, "Self-reported sleep duration as a predictor of all-cause mortality: results from the JACC Study, Japan", SLEEP, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 51-54, 2004.
- G. Wimmer, G. Kohldorfer, I. Mischak, M. Lorenzoni, K. W. Kallus, "Coping with stress: its influence on periodontal therapy", J Periodontol, Vol. 76, No. 1, pp. 90-98, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2005.76.1.90
- M. J. Kwon, "Convergence Study on the Relation between Cognition, Depression and Aggression in the Elderly", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 171-176, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.171
- H. J. Choi, S. G. Back, "A Study on Depressive disposition by Convergence approach of Leisure History and Family situation in Elderly Women", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 295-302, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.295
- V. Pohjola, A. K. Mattila, M. Joukamaa, S. Lahti, "Anxiety and depressive disorders and dental fear among adults in Finland", Eur J Oral Sci, Vol. 119, No. 1, pp. 55-60, 2011.
- R. G. McCreadie, H. Stevens, J. Hendeerson, D. Hall, R. McCaul, R. Filik, G. young, G. Sutch, G. Kanagaratnam, S. Perrington, J. Mckendrick, D. Stephenson, T. Burns, "The dental health of people with schizophrenia", Acta Psychiatr Scand, Vol. 110, No. 1, pp. 306-310, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0447.2004.00373.x
- S. Kisely, L. H. Quek, J. Pais, R. Lalloo, N. W. Johnson, D. Lawrence, "Advanced dental disease in people with severe mental illness: systematic review and meta analysis", Br J Psychiatry, Vol. 199, No. 1, pp. 187-193, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.bp.110.081695
- A. L. Dumitrescu, C. Toma, V. Lascu. "Associations among sleep disturbance, vitality, fatigue and oral health", Oral Health Prev Dent, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 323-330, 2010.
- T. Nakada, T. Kato, Y. Numabe, "Effects of fatigue from sleep deprivation on experimental periodontitis in rats", J Periodont Res, Vol. 50, No. 1, pp. 131-137, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1111/jre.12189
- M. J. Cho, J. K. Ma, "Relationship between the number of remaining teeth and depression in Korean adults", J Korean Soc Dent Hyg, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 19-25, 2016. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.01.19
- M. J. Cho, " The relationship between dementia and the number of remaining tooth of the elderly women on senior center", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 279-286, 2015.
- Relevance of Periodontal Disease According to Presence of Cognitive Stress, Sleeping Hours, and Subjective Oral-Health Status of Adults vol.11, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2017.11.4.169