- Volume 14 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Convergence Effects of Nurse's Perception of Patient Safety Culture and Safety Control on Safety Performance in General Hospital
종합병원 간호사의 환자안전문화 인식과 안전통제감이 안전이행에 미치는 융복합적 영향
- Kim, Yoon-Lee (Department of Quality & Patient Safety, Jesus Hospital) ;
- Lee, Myung-In (Department of Nursing, Wonkwang Health Science University) ;
- Chin, Eun-Young (Department of Nursing, Wonkwang Health Science University)
- Received : 2015.11.18
- Accepted : 2016.07.20
- Published : 2016.07.28
This descriptive study was aimed to identify factors which influence safety performance through evaluation of nurse's perception of patient safety culture and safety control in general hospital. Self-administered web surveys were conducted by 342 nurses who employed in general hospital from May 09 to May 13, 2014. Data were analyzed using the SPSS/WIN 21.0 statistical program. The results of analysis revealed that the score of safety culture perception was 3.34, safety control was 3.50, safety performance was 3.53 and all scores were higher level than usual. There were significant positive correlation between safety performance and perception of patient safety culture, safety control (r=.463~.645, p<.001). The positively influencing factors of safety performance are marital status, frequency of accident reports, general perception of patient safety and safety control. Explanation ratio of the variables for the safety performance was 52.0% in this study(F=4.252, p=.004). This study findings suggest that it would be useful as a preliminary report of nurse's intervention strategy through confirmation of the nurse's positive effect to improve safety performance in general hospital.
Convergence Effect;General Hospital Nurse's;Patient Safety Culture;Safety Control;Safety Performance
- Y. N. Noh, "Analysis of Perception Patient Safety Culture among Hospital Workforce". Ph.D. dissertation, p. 59, Yonsei University, 2008.
- M. S. Kim, "Perception and Influencing Factors for Patient Safety among Emergency Room Nurses". Master's thesis, p. 64, Ulsan University, 2012.
- Y. L. Kim, M. H. Lee, "Perceptions of Patient Safety Culture of Hospital Nurses". Korean Review of Crisis & Emergency Management, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 83-99, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14251/krcem.2015.11.12.83
- Y. M. Kim, Y. Y. Kil, J. Min, Y. I. Jeong, E. Y. Choi, Safety Care. p. 144, Korean Nurses Association, 2009.
- M. J. Sohn, "The Effects of Perception of Hospital Nurses toward Safety climate on Safety performance". Seoul National University, Master's thesis, p. 58, 2011.
- Aspden, P., Corrigan, J. M., Wolcott, J., Erickson, S. M., Safety Patient: Achieving a New Standard for Care. Washington, DC: The National Academies of Press, p. 550, 2004.
- M. H. Lee, C. H. Kim, "Effect of Leadership WalkRounds Convergence to Establish a Patient Safety Culture". Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 6, pp. 185-195, 2015.
- M. H. Choi, B. S. Lee, "Perception of Patient Safety Culture and Influencing Variables among Hospital Workers in a Metropolitan City". Keimyung Journal of Nursing Science, Vol.16, No.1, pp.55-64, 2012
- I. H. Kim, "USA and Patient Safety Culture-1". Doctor's News, 2003. 6, http://www.doctorsnews.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=20275, 2015.11.
- H. Y. Yang, "A Study on the Effect of Perception of Hospital Nurses Toward the Patient Safety Culture on the Safety Nursing Activity: Focusing on suncheon region. Master's thesis", p. 73, Sunchon National University, 2009.
- J. Jeong, "Factors affecting patient safety management activities at two university hospitals: the case of nursing divisions". Master's thesis, p.50, Yonsei University, 2006.
- E. K. Kim, M. Kang, H. J. Kim, "Experience and perception on patient safety culture of employees in hospitals. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration". Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 321-334, 2007.
- Milligan, F., Dennis, S., "Improving patient safety and incident reporting". Nursing Standard, Vol. 19, No. 17, pp. 33-36, 2004.
- Nicklin, W., McVeety, J. E., "Canadian nurses' perceptions of patient safety in hospitals". Canadian Journal Nursing Leadership, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 11-21, 2001.
- S. J. Park, "A Study on Hospital Nurse's Perception of Patient Safety Culture and Safety Care Activity". Master's thesis, p. 58, Dong-A University, 2008.
- S. Y. Jung, "A structural model of safety climate and safety compliance of hospital organization employees". Ph.D. dissertation, p. 115, Yonsei University, 2010.
- W. Y. Je, "Hospital workers' perception of patient safety culture in a university hospital". Master's thesis, p. 69, Sungkyunkwan University, 2006.
- M. H. Choi, "Perception of patient safety culture and influencing the factors among hospital workers, Master's thesis". p. 58, Keimyung University, 2009.
- G. O. Lee, "The Study on Nurse Manager Leadership and Patient Safety-Related Nursing Activities, Master's thesis". p. 50, Kyung Hee University, 2009.
- N. J. Lee, J. H. Kim, "Perception of Patient Safety Culture and Safety Care Activity among Nurses in Small-Medium Sized General Hospitals". Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 462-473, 2011. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.462
- M. H. Nam, J. H. Lim, "The Influences of the Awareness of Patient Safety Culture on Safety Care Activities among Nurse in small-medium Sized General Hospitals". Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 349-359, 2013.
- AHRQ, Hospital survey on patient culture. AHRQ Publication. No. 04-0041. http://www.ahrq.gov, 2015.
- J. E. Kim, M. A. Kang, K. E. An, Y. H. Sung, "A Survey of Nurses' Perception of Patient Safety Related to Hospital Culture and Reports of Medical Errors". Clinical Nursing Research, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 169-179, 2007.
- Anderson, L. L., Chen, P .Y., Finlinson, S., Krauss, A. D., Huang, Y. E., "Roles of safety control and supervisory support in work safety". In Poster session presented at the annual meeting of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Chicago, IL, 2004, April.
- Neal, A., Griffin, M, A., "A study of the lagged relationships among safety climate, safety climate, safety motivation, safety behavior, and accidents at the individual and group levels". The Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 91, No. 4, pp. 946-953, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.91.4.946
- J. Jeong, Y. J. Seo, E. W. Nam, "Factors affecting patient safety management activities at nursing divisions of two university hospitals". Korean Journal Hospital Management, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 91-109, 2006.
- H. E. Jang, "Impact of Nurses' Perception of Patient Safety Culture and Safety Control on Patient Safety Management Activities in University Hospital". Master's thesis, p. 47, Chosun University. 2013.
- M. H. Nam, S. H. Kang, "The Cognition Level on the Patient Safety and Safe Nursing Activities among Hospital Nurses in Busan". Health and Social Science. Vol. 28, No. 28, pp. 197-221, 2010.
- Y. J. Lee, "Patient Safety Culture and Management Activities Perceived by Hospital Nurses". Master's thesis, p. 61, Eulji University.
- S. J. Moon, "Comparison of Job Satisfaction, Commitment to Organization, Empowerment, Autonomy and Burnout between Regular and Non-Regular Nurses", Master's thesis. p. 70, Kyung Hee University, 2009.
- J. H. Choi, K. M. Lee, M. A. Lee, "Relationship between Hospital Nurses' Perceived Patient Safety Culture and Their Safety Care Activities". Journal of Korean Academy Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 64-72, 2010.
- Y. S. Seo, E. S. Do, "Influence of Safety Culture Perception, Safety Control and Safety Management Activities as Perceived for Nurses in Nursing Home". Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13 No. 9, pp. 303-311, 2015.
- H. Y. Kim, H. S. Kim, "Effects of Perceived Patient Safety Culture on Safety Nursing Activities in the General Hospital Nurse's". Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 413-422. 2012.
- Pronovost, P. J., Weast, B., Holzmueller, C. G., Rosenstein, B.J., Kidwell, R. P., Haller, K. B., Feroli, E. R., Sexton, J. B., Rubin, H. R., "Evaluation of the culture of safety: Survey of clinicians and managers in an academic medical center". Quality Safety Health Care, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 405-410, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1136/qhc.12.6.405
- Huang, Y. H., Ho, M., Smith, G. S., Chen, P. Y., "Safety climate and self-reported injury: Assessing the mediating role of employee safety control". Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 38, No. 3, pp. 425-433, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2005.07.002
- Tucker, A. L., Edmondson, A. C., "Why hospitals don't learn from failures: Organizational and psychological dynamics that inhibit system change". California Management Review, Vol. 45, No. 2. pp. 55-72, 2003. https://doi.org/10.2307/41166165