- Volume 14 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A Study on Measures to Reduce Traffic Accidents caused by Using Smartphones While Driving
운전 중 스마트폰 사용으로 인한 교통사고 저감대책 연구
- You, Seung-Hee (Dept. of U-City IT Convergence & Urban Policy, Hansei University)
- 유승희 (한세대학교 대학원 U-City IT융합 도시정책학과)
- Received : 2016.05.04
- Accepted : 2016.07.20
- Published : 2016.07.28
The purpose of the study focuses on increasing dangers of using smartphones while driving recently, and then is to come up with measures to reduce traffic accidents caused by using devices like a smartphone. This study conducted a survey of drivers using their smartphones while driving to understand risks caused by using a smartphones while operating vehicles. Results showed that a lot of activities may lead to distracted driving, such as texting, making phone calls, using GPS or road maps, game, etc. In this paper, we presented that functions of smartphone should be controlled partially while driving for safe driving performance. These results suggest that using IoT-based smart devices like a beacon and a smartphone application implemented, tentatively called "Safe driving solution", while driving can reduce traffic accidents. Thus, in order to effectively prevent dangerous driving due to the use of smartphones, a "Safe driving solution" which restricts all functions except for calls and driver assistance functions is suggested.
- DIGIECO Report, Korean smartphones use 219 minutes per day, DIGIECO, http://www.digieco.co.kr, Dec.16, 2014.
- NEWSWIRE, Analysis of traffic accidents caused by manipulation of devices driving past three years, http://www.koroad.or.kr, May 7, 2012.
- Wellbeing News, 20 million vehicle registration records, http://iwellbeing.net, Nov.5, 2014.
- J. Y. Choi, Smart phones while driving is No.1 cause of death, SBS News, http://news.sbs.co.kr/news.Sept.
- S. H. Choi,J. S. Lee, "The effects of cellular-phone use on driving performance under various driving speed conditions", Korean Journal of Society for Emotion & sensibility, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 1-11, 2003.
- Y. K. Sihn, S. Y. Lee, J. B. Ryu, S. B. Ryu, "The effects of in Vehicle Watching DMB on Driver Behavior", Korean Journal of Society of Automotive Engineers, ITS SYMPOSIUM, pp. 76-82, 2007.
- Brumpy, D. P.,Salvucci, D. D., & Howes, "A., Focus on driving how cognitive constraints shape the adaptation of strategy when dialing while driving", Proceedings of the 27th international conference on Human Factor Computing systems, pp. 1629-1638, 2009.
- K. R. Mun, J. S. Choi, D. W. Kang, Y. H. Bang, H. S. Kim, S. J. Lee, J. W. Yang, J. H. Kim, M. H. Choi, D. H. Ji, B. C. Min, S. H. Chung &G. R. Tack, "The effects of secondary task on driving performance-control of vehicle and analysis of motion signal-", Korean Journal of the Science of Emotion & Sensibility, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 613-620, 2010.
- H. S. Kim, J. S. Choi, D. W. Kang, H. S. Oh, J. W. Seo, H. W. Yeon, M. H. Choi, B. C. Min, S. C. Chung, G. R. Tack, "The effects of driving performance during driving with sending text message and searching navigation: a study among 50s taxi drivers", Korean Journal of the Science of Emotion& Sensibility, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 571-580, 2011.
- H. W. Yeon, J. N. Lee, H. J. Yoon, H. J. Kim, I. H. Lee, M. H. Choi, H. S. Kim, J. S. Choi, D. H. Ji, B. C. Min, G. R. Tack, S. C. Jung,"Comparison of following distance between young and old driver according to operation of navigation and sending text message during driving", Proceedings of Spring conference on Korean society for Emotion& Sensibility, pp. 121-122, 2012.
- S. Y. Jang, S. J. Kim, S. S. Ko, "A Study on Reduction Measures by Analysing Behavior Characteristics of Handling Devices While Driving Application of Theory of Planned Behavior Focusing Smart Phone" Traffic Safety Studies, pp. 51-68, 2014.
- Operation of the instrument while driving, requires special attention, NEWSWIRE, http://www.newswire.co.kr, May 7, 2012.
- S. M. Yang, Operation of the instrument while driving, requires special attention, http://www.koroad.or.kr, May 7, 2012.
- He, J,, Chaparro, A.,Nguyen, B., Burge, R., Crandall, J., Chaparro, B.,Ni, R.,Cao, S., "Texting While Driving:Is Speech-Based Texting Less Risky than Handheld Texting?", Proceedings of the 5th international Conference on Automotive User Interfaces & interactive Vehicular Applications, pp. 124-130, 2013.
- Nilsson, L.,"Behavioral research in an advanced driving simulator: Experiences of the VTI system", Proceeding of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 37th Annual Meeting, pp. 612-616, 1993.
- K. T. Jang, H. J. Kim, S. J. Kim, "A Study of Impact on the traffic accidents from driver's psychological state", Traffic Safety Studies, pp. 51-68, 2014.
- Y. K. Kim, M. G. Suk, C. J. Kim, "A study on the success factors of Big Data through an analysis of introduction effect of Big Data", Journal of digital convergence, Vol. 12, No. 11, pp. 241-248, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.11.241
- Y. J. Park, "Development of a ICT Convergence Business Model based on Smart Phone", Journal of digital convergence, Vol. 13, No. 6, pp. 81-89, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.6.81