- Volume 14 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Comparative Analysis of World Major Liner Shipping Companies' Ship Investment Strategy
세계 주요 정기선사의 선박 투자전략 비교분석에 관한 연구
- Jeon, Ki-Jeong (Graduate school of Logistics, Incheon National University) ;
- Jeon, Jun-Woo (Graduate school of Logistics, Incheon National University) ;
- Yang, Chang-Ho (Graduate school of Logistics, Incheon National University) ;
- Yeo, Gi-Tae (Graduate school of Logistics, Incheon National University)
- Received : 2016.06.08
- Accepted : 2016.07.20
- Published : 2016.07.28
The purpose of this study was to carry out comparative analysis on the world major liner shipping companies' ship investment strategy using Fuzzy-AHP model. In this study, the ship investment factors were firstly selected by literature review and finally adopted them by in-depth interview with experts who had working experiences over 15 years in the field of shipping business. As suggested in the previous research, the liner shipping companies have been classified into four types such as 'ship investment irrelevant to market trend'(Type1), 'ship investment before market rise'(Type2), 'market decline after participation in excessive orders'(Type3), 'avoidance of ship investment during market rise'(Type4) and the comparative analysis were conducted among four ship investment types. According to the results of analysis, ship investment priority in Type1 was freight rates(0.132), price of used ship(0.121) and fleet(0.103). The priority in Type2 was freight rates(0.134), need for ship owner(0.113) and public funding(0.109). Type3 put its priority in freight rates(0.173), fleet(0.169) and the changes in international circumstances(0.121). Type4 considered freight rates(0.239), fleet(0.232) and oil price(0.150) as its priority.
Liner shipping company;Ship investment strategy;Fuzzy-AHP;Weighting analysis;Priority
- Alizadeh, A. H., Nomikos. N.K., "Investment timing and trading strategies in the sale and purchase market for ships", Transportation Research Part B, Vol.41, pp.126-143, 2012.
- Buckley. J. J, "Fuzzy hierarchical analysis", Fuzzy sets and systems, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 233-247, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-0114(85)90090-9
- Chang. D. Y, "Applications of the extent analysis method on fuzzy AHP", European journal of operational research, Vol .95, No. 3, pp. 649-655, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(95)00300-2
- D. J. Bae, " Study of the Decision-Making System of the Korean Shipping Companies: How is the Issue of Ship Investment Dealt under Market Uncertainty. Graduate Theses and Dissertations", pp. 1-129, Sogang University, 2011.
- H. J. Kim, "A Study on Ship Investment Decision-Making by using of Required Freight Rates Structure, The Graduate School of Human Resource Management. Graduate Theses and Dissertations", pp. 1-87, Chung-Ang University, 2010.
- H. J. Ko, "A Study on Determining the Priority of Investment Projects for India's Logistics Market using Fuzzy-AHP", Journal of Korea Port Economic Association, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 1-18, 2010.
- J. H. Han, S. J. Jung, "An Integrated Decision Making Model for Shipping Operation and Investment Considering the Financial Constraints", Journal of Shipping and Logistics, Vol. 1, No. 76, pp. 5-28, 2013.
- K. J. Jeon, C. H. Yang, "The Study on Correlation between the Shipbuilding Order Quantity of Major Shipping Liners and Maritime Freight Rates: Using Granger Causality Analysis", Journal of Shipping and logistics, Vol 31, No. 1, pp. 5-27, 2016.
- K. S. Kim, " A Study on Ship Investment Decision Making Behaviour of Shipping Companies, Graduate Theses and Dissertations", pp. 1-114, The Graduate School of Chung-Ang University, 2014.
- S. B Kim, H. J. Jung, H. Y. Lee and G. T. Yeo, " An Analysis on Weighing the Decision Making Factors of Ship Investments for Korean Shipping Companies", Journal of Korea Port Economic Association, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 557-590, 2014.
- S. B Kim, J. W. Jeon and G. T. Yeo, " Analysis of the Influence of Shipping Policies on the Expansion of Korea's Merchant Fleet Using System Dynamics", Journal of Korea Port Economic Association, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 23-40, 2015.
- Saaty. T. L, "The analytic hierarchy process: planning, priority setting, resources allocation", New York, McGraw, 1980.
- Sang-Hyun Lee, "A Study on Determining Factors for Manufacturers to Distributors Warehouse in Supply Chain", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 15-20, 2013.
- Scarasi, R, "The Bulk Shipping Business: Market cycles and shipowners' biases", Maritime Policy and Management, Vol. 3, No. 6, pp. 557-590, 2014.
- V. Laarhoven. P. J. M, W. Pedrycz, "A fuzzy extension of Saaty's priority theory", Fuzzy sets and Systems, Vol .11, No. 1, pp.199-227, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-0114(83)80081-5
- W. L. Sim, S. Y. Lee, "Customized Coupon Recommendation Model based on Fuzzy AHP Reflecting User Preference", The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, Vol .12, No. 5, pp.395-401, 2014.
- Woo-Jin Son, "The Empirical Study on Interrelationship between Strategy, MCS, Corporate's Performance and Role of Controller", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 303-314, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.303
- Y. S. Jeong, "An Efficiency Management Scheme using Big Data of Healthcare Patients using Puzzy AHP", The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, Vol .13, No. 4, pp.227-233, 2015.
- Zadeh. L. A, "Fuzzy sets", Information and control, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 338-353, 1965. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0019-9958(65)90241-X