- Volume 14 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Relationship between Self-Perceived Psychosocial Stress and Depressive Symptoms among Male High School Students
일부 남자 고등학생들의 사회·심리적 스트레스와 우울과의 관련성
- Shin, Eun-Sook (Department of Health Administration, Joongbu University)
- 신은숙 (중부대학교 보건행정학과)
- Received : 2016.06.02
- Accepted : 2016.07.20
- Published : 2016.07.28
The purpose of this study was to determine the association between depressive symptoms and psychological stress, and to investigate the factors affecting depressive symptoms among male high school students. The study subjects were 573 male students surveyed from a self-administered questionnaire in October 2015. As a result, the distribution of psychosocial stress of surveyed students was 14.8% of health group, 71.9% of latent stress group, 13.3% of high-risk stress group. Depressed level of 71.4% of the distribution is normal group, mild depression group 25.30%, moderate depression group 3.0%, 0.3% was severely depressed group. The factors influencing the students' depressed levels were subjective health status, whether breakfast, sleep hour per day, academic achievement, worries, satisfaction with school life, perceived family income and psychosocial stress has been selected. In particular, the stress is related to the high depression. Therefore, it is considered that stress management is necessary in order to reduce the students' depression.
- Kobayash K, Kobayash R, Kubo S, et al. "Depressive symptomatology and some relative factors. Japanese Journal of Public Health", Vol, 52, No, 1, pp,55-65, 2005.
- Fehring RJ. "Effect of Biofeedback-aided relaxation on the psychological stress symptoms of college student. Nursing Research", Vol, 32, No, 6, pp, 362-366, 1983.
- Kanner AD, Coyne JC, Schaefer C, Lazarus RS. "Comparison of two modes of stress measurement, daily hassles and uplifts versus major life events. Journal of Behavioral Medicine", No,4, pp, 1-39, 1981.
- Berkman LF, Berkman CS, Kasl S, et al. "Depressive symptoms in relation to physical health and functioning in the elderly. Am J Epidemiology", Vol, 124, No, 3, pp,372-388, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a114408
- Eisenberg L. "A research framework for evaluation the promotion of mental health and prevention of mental illness. Public Health Report", Vol, 96, pp, 3-19, 1981.
- E. M. Ji, Y. C .Cho, "The association of self-esteem and social support with depressive symptoms in college students. Journal of the Korea Academia -Industrial cooperation Society", Vol, 15, No, 5, pp, 2996-3006, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2996
- M. J. Lee, Y. C. .Cho, "Self-perceived psychosocial stress, anxiety and depression symptoms, and its related factors among college students. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society", Vol, 14, No, 6, pp, 2828-2838, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2828
- H. S. Yoon, E. M. JI, Y. C. Cho, "Depression symptoms and its related factors among the elderly people affiliated with long-term care insurance services in urban areas. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society", Vol, 16, No, 4, pp, 2674-2683, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.4.2674
- K. E. Byon, S. H. Park, "Effects of major satisfaction and employment stress on depression in college students. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society", Vol, 15 No, 1, pp, 323-330, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.1.323
- H. O. Jeon, "Comparison of depression and life-stress by values in university students. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society", Vol. 13, No, 5, pp. 2148-2155, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.5.2148
- J. W. Lee, K. .Kang, "Study about the relationship between self-esteem, depression and stress of students according to school system. International Conference on Convergence Technology", Vol. 4, No. 1 pp. 69-74, 2014.
- H. S. Park, B. E. Lee, K. H. Choi, "The effect of school performance and stress on depressive symptoms among youths. The Journal of the korean society of school health", Vo.. 14, No, 2 2001.
- Monden S. "A study on the living control of junior high school pupils - influence of living behavior on the subjective symptoms of fatigue- Japanese Journal of Public Health", Vol, 32, No, 1, pp, 25-35, 1985.
- Iijima K, Morimoto S. "Correlation between daily life styles and the levels of health status in college students. Japanese Journal of Public Health", Vol, 35 No, 10, pp, 573-578, 1988.
- K. O. ,Kim, Y. C. Cho. "The relationships between emotional labour and depressive symptoms among nurses in university hospitals. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society", Vol.14, No, 8, pp.3794-3803, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.8.3794
- E. S. Shin, H. K. Kim, Y.C. .Cho, "Relationships between social supports and depression symptoms among high school students in an urban area. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society", Vol. 14. No. 10, pp. 4970-4978, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.10.4970
- Lee YS, Kim KH, Cho YC. Relationships between mental health and psychosocial factors with single-child high school students in an urban city of Korea. Korean J Prev Med Public Health", Vol, 39, No, 5, pp, 419-426, 2006.
- J. S. Kim, Y. M. Lim . "Relationship among perceived stress, coping behaviors, and depression of high school students. J of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing" Vol, 11, No. 1, pp, 19-32, 2002.
- Faul F, Erdfelder E, Lang AG, Buchner A. G*power 3: "A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and science. Behav Res Methods", Vol. 39 No. 2, pp. 175-191, 2007. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- WHO. "The Asia-Pacific Perspective: Redefining obesity and its treatment. Sydney, Australia, Health Communications Australia Pty Ltd", 2000.
- Goldberg D. Manual of the General Health Questionnaire. Nfer-Nelson, 1978.
- S. J. Chang, "Standardization of collection and measurement of health statistics data. The Korean Society for Preventive Medicine. Seoul", p92-143, 2000.
- W. K .Zung, "A self-rating depression scale. Arch Gen Psychiatry", Vol. 12, pp. 63-70, 1965. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1965.01720310065008
- E. S. Shin, Y. C. Cho, "Psychosocial stress and related factors among high school students in a city. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society", Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 734-740, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.2.734
- J. Y. Lee, I. S, Song, Y. J. Jeong, Y. C. Cho, "A Study on the stress and fatigue symptoms of high school students according to the life styles. J of Korean Soc. of School Health", Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 9-21, 2003.
- H. J, Lee, Y. C .Cho, "Psychosocial distress and its related factors among high school students in Daejeon city. J of Korean Soc. of School Health", Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 91-102. 2007.
- I.S..Song, "Influence of life style to the mental and physical health status of middle and high school students. Doctor's thesis, Graduate School of Chungnam National University", 2002.
- J. W. Lee, K. H, Lee, B. K. Min, "Relationship between depressive trends and body types perceived by adolescents in Korea. J Korean Neuropsychiatric Association", Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 523-531, 1985.
- S. K. Min, K. J. Cho, "A Clinical study on psychiatric consultation. J Korean Neuropsychiatric association", Vol. 16, No, 2. 229-238, 1977.
- K. S, Lee, J. S, Kang, I. S, Kwon, Y. C. Cho, "Influence of sleep quality, occupational stress and fatigue on depression among small-scale manufacturing male workers. Journal of the Korea Academia- Industrial cooperation Society", Vol. 12, No. 5, pp. 2230-2240, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.5.2230
- H. S. Yoon, H. L. Kim, I. S, Kwon, Y. C. Cho, "Type A behavior pattern and its association with stress, depression and fatigue in nurses. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing", Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 180-190, 2008.
- K. S, Lee, D. B, Lee, I. S. Kwon, Y. C. Cho, "Depressive symptoms and its association with sleep quality, occupational stress and fatigue among small scaled manufacturing male workers. Korean J Occup Environ Med", Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 99-111, 2011.
- S. J. Kim, "A study of factors affecting depression in college students. Graduate School of Social Wellbeing, Baptist Theological University, Master's thesis", 2004.
- J. Y. Hong, "How the university students' stress affects their depression. Graduate School of Yeungnam University, Master's thesis", 2005.
- H. T. Won. M. Y .Lee, "The stress of the high school students.Korean J Clinical Psychology"Vol. 6, pp. 22-32, 1987.
- Dubow EF, Tisak J, "The relation between stressful life events and adjustment in elementary school children; the role of social support and social problem-solving skills. Child Development" Vol. 60, pp. 1412-1423, 1989. https://doi.org/10.2307/1130931