- Volume 14 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Effects of Self-esteem, Aggression and Violence Recognition on the Academic Achievement of Adolescents
청소년의 자존감, 공격성 및 폭력인식도가 학업성취도에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Chang Seek (Dept. of Child and Adolescent Welfare) ;
- Son, Hi Ran (Gyeungbuk Family Counseling Institute) ;
- Jang, Ha Young (Dept. of Lifelong Education)
- Received : 2016.06.01
- Accepted : 2016.07.20
- Published : 2016.07.28
This study aimed to examine differences in the academic achievement depending on general characteristics of adolescents, and to verify the predictors influencing them according to school levels. For the study, 555 adolescents were surveyed at B county of Gyeongbuk province in September 2015. The results were as follows. First, it was found out that the adolescents' academic achievement was different depending on school level, family type, and economic status. Second, the predictors of the academic achievement in middle school students were self-esteem, age, number of friend, and aggression. Third, the predictors of the academic achievement in high school students were self-esteem, age, school level, and violence recognition. Based on these results, the ways to improve the academic achievement were suggested.
Adolescent;Academic achievement;Self-esteem;Aggression;Violence recognition
- Shin, J. E., "Mediating Effects of Peer Relationships and Self-esteem in the Relation between Family Strangth and Academic Achievement" Unpublished Master's Dissertation, Ehwa Women's University, 2013.
- Masten, A. S. & Coatsworth, J. D. & Neemann, J. & Gest, S. D. & Tellegen, A. & Garmezy, N., "The structure and coherence of competence from childhood through adolescence" Child Development, Vol. 66, No. 6, pp. 1635-1659, 1995. https://doi.org/10.2307/1131901
- Cheung, Y. W., "Family, school, peer, and media predictors of adolescent deviant behavior in Hong Kong" Journal of Youth and Adolescence, Vol. 26, No. 5, pp. 569-596, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1024534022895
- Anderson, E. S. & Keith, T. Z., "A longitudinal test of a model of academic success for at-risk high school students" The Journal of Educational Research, Vol. 90, No. 5, pp. 259-268, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1080/00220671.1997.10544582
- Lee, Y. S., "The Influence of Self-Concept and School Achievement on the Career Maturity" Unpublished Master's Dissertation, Sookmyung Women's University, 1997.
- Lee, J. K. & Kim, Y. B. & Kang, C. S., "A longitudinal study of middle and high school student achievement benchmarks and learning environment for college readiness" Korean journal of education research, Vol. 52, No. 1, pp. 27-57, 2014.
- Han, E. Y. & Lee, J. W., "The effect of tendencies towards juvenile delinquency on career maturity: Focusing on the mediating effect of school adaptation" Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 323-355, 2013.
- Choi, K. W. & Yeo, H. K. & Jung, H. K., "The effect of Learning Motivation and Academic Self-Efficacy of University Students Majoring Tourism on Learning Flow, Academic Achievement and Learning Transfer" Journal of Tourism and Leisure Research, Vol. 26, No. 8, pp. 451-469, 2014
- Kim, K. B. & Shim, G. Y. & Lee, B. S. & Oh, H. H., "The Effect of Academic Achievement on Personality Type and student Learning in Principles of Accounting" Journal of Industrial Economics and Business, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 579-598, 2009
- Arbona, C., "The development of academic achievement in school-aged children: Precursors to career development. In S. D. Brown & R. W. Lent (Eds.)", Handbook of counseling psychology 3rd ed., pp. 270-309, New York: John Wiley and Sons., 2000
- Hwang, M. H., "The effects of the Social Relationships on the Academic Achievement of Korean Students" Asian Journal of Education, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 187-203, 2006.
- Kwon, Y. R. & Jun, H. O., "Effects of Perceived Health Status, Self-esteem and Family Function on Expectations Regarding Aging among Middle-aged Women" Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 43, No. 2, pp. 176-184, 2013. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.2.176
- Oh, J. S. & Kim, S. B. & Park, C. J., "Impact Analysis of High School Students' Self-Esteem and Career Plan on Academic Achievement" Education -Science Research, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 119-131, 2014.
- Park, S. H. J. & Song, S. M. & Lee, Y, H., "The Influence of Self-Esteem and Self-Efficacy on the Academic Achievement of Elementary School Children in Poverty and Comparative Groups" The Korean Society of Community Living Science, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 407-416, 2011. https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2011.22.3.407
- Park, S. J., "The influence which self-concept has on interpersonal relations and schoolwork achievement" Unpublished Master's Dissertation, Sookmyung Women's University, 1996.
- Kim, J. W. & Kim, H. J., "Relationships among children's aggression, temperament, home environment, and school adjustment" The Journal of Child Education, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 85-93, 2007.
- Seo, M. Jung., "Early Adolescents' Changes in Overt Aggression and Delinquency, Depression/Anxiety and Perceived Academic Achievement : A Latent Growth Curve Analysis" Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 141-167, 2009.
- Bub, K. L. & McCartney, K. & Willett, J. B., "Behavior Problem Trajectories and First-Grade Cognitive Ability and Achievement Skills: A Latent Growth Curve Analysis" Journal Of Educational Psychology, Vol. 99, No. 3, pp. 653-670, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06126.96.36.1993
- Jung B. S., "An Analysis of the Longitudinal Effect of Domestic Violence on Male Adolescents' Patriarchical Masculinity and Violence" Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 5-28, 2011.
- Kim, T. G., "A Study on the Effect of School Life Adjustment on the Bullying Experience of School Violence" Journal of The Korean Society of Private Security, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 47-74, 2012.
- Park, T. S. & Kim, U. C., "Psychological, behaviorial, and relational characteristics of school violence : Comparative analysis of victims, bullies, non - participants of aggression" Korean Psychological Journal of Culture and Social Issues, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 63-89, 2001.
- Shon, K. S. & Lee, K. M., "A qualitative study of defenders' experiences in peer victimization" The Korean Journal of School Psychology, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 317-348, 2015. https://doi.org/10.16983/kjsp.2015.12.3.317
- Rosenberg, M. "Society and Adolescent Self-image" Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1965.
- Han, T. Y., "Questionnaire of Personality Traits(Big 5)" Korea Aptitude Institute, 1998.
- Noh, H. R. & Kim, H. E. & Ryu, S. K., "Evaluation of a School Violence Prevention Program" Samsung Social & Mental Health Research, 2006
- Park, S. H. & Sang, K. A., "Characteristics of and factors affecting on students' attitude toward mathematics" School Mathematics, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 697-716, 2011.
- Kwak, M. K. & Seo, B. J., "The Influence Which the Self-Flexibility and the Social Support Felt by the Teenagers living in the Grandparents-Children Families Have on the Adaptation to School Life" The Korean Association for Public Welfare Administration, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 75-112, 2011.
- Song, C. O. & Yoo, S. M., "The Influence of Learning Variables and Family Variables on Academic Achievement : in Academic High School Students" The Journal of Brain Education, Vol. 8, No. -, pp. 27-53, 2011.
- Jeong, Y. H., "Convergent Approach of Phenomenological Methodology about Emergency Nurses' Experience of Hospital Violence" Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 63-75, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.063
- Shin, S. O. & Park, J., "Converged Association Between Suicidal Ideation and Neighborhood Environment Among Some Adolescents" Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 271-277, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.271