- Volume 14 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Technology Financing for Export-Import based Small and Medium Sized Enterprises: Focused on Supported Enterprises by the Export-Import Bank of Korea
수출입 중소기업의 기술금융에 관한 연구: 한국수출입은행 지원기업을 중심으로
- Lee, Gem-ma (Dept. of International Studies, Kyunghee University) ;
- Kim, Sang-Bong (Dept. of Economics, Hansung University)
- Received : 2016.05.30
- Accepted : 2016.07.20
- Published : 2016.07.28
This study examines the possibility of implementing the technology financing for export-import based small and medium sized enterprises. Our sample consists of 2,753 small and medium sized enterprises, receiving financial support from the Export-Import Bank of Korea for the period of 2011-2013. We find that only 400(200) firms reserve IPs(patents) annually. Given that IPs are likely to concentrate on manufacturer industries such as electronic components, computers, video, sound and communication equipment manufacturing(KSIC 26), other machinery and equipment manufacturing(KSIC 29), manufacture of motor vehicles and trailers(KSIC 31). We also find that the total assets, sales and R&D expenses of IP holding companies greatly exceeds those of companies without IPs. In addition, IP holding companies' liquidity seems slight edge and the leverage ratio is somewhat lower. However, profitability ratios of IP holding companies are rather than harsh or similar level. 20~30% of IP holding firms show very week credit scores, implying that banks' default risk is expected to be significant.
Supported by : Export-Import Bank of Korea
- Financial Services Commission, Roadmap of policy technology credit loan, 2016.
- H. Kim and S. Lee, "An empirical study on the critical success factor of technological innovation of small-medium sized enterprises by growth stages- focusing on the case study", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 10, pp.1-20, 2014.
- K. Kim, "Status and task of technology financing", Science Technology Policy, Vol.21, No.3, pp.51-71, 2011.
- S. B. Kim, "Methods to propaganda technology evaluation for improving financial environment of small and medium enterprises." seminar presentation paper, 2014.
- S. B. Kim and J. Kim, "A study on the performance measurement of credit guarantee", Journal of Industrial Economics and Business, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp.1381-1399, 2013.
- S. B. Kim, P. Ji, and J. Jo, "The analysis on the causes of corporate bankruptcy with the bankruptcy prediction model", Journal of Market Economy, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp.85-106, 2011.
- D. Kim, D. Kim, and B. Seo, "A study on effects of corporate governance information on credit financial ratings", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp.105-113, 2015.
- Y. Yang and Y. Yoo, "The analysis on management consulting effect of a bank on client firms: empirical case study focused on ante-post bank consulting effect comparison", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp.215-223, 2014.
- J. Nam, J. Kim, and S. B. Kim, "The performance measure of credit guarantee and methods of improvement of its system", Korean Applied Economics, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp.33-64, 2014.
- S. Lee, "Studies on effects of export intervention and performance variable of SMEs", Journal of Korean Marketing, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp.69-113, 1990.
- D. Lee and S. Kim, "Determinants of technology transfer for convergence management strategy of small and medium enterprises", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp.83-94, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.3.83
- S. Lee, S. Yoon, S. Chang, H. Kim, and I. Bae, "A Study on the effect of aligning with management strategy and strategic performance management on firm's performance in medium and small firms", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp.99-119, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.1.99
- Y. Ko and J. Bae, "A Study for improving export promotion programs for SMEs", Journal of International Commerce and Information, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp.189-209, 2008. https://doi.org/10.15798/kaici.10.2.200806.189
- Y. Kim, "A study on export assistance program awareness and usage of Korean small-medium exporters", Journal of Customs and Trade , Vol. 8, No. 4, pp.321-352, 2007.
- H. Moon, "The influence of perception and utilization of export support programs on export performance of Korean SMEs", Korean Small Business Studies, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp.51-71, 2009.
- J. Byun, S. Lee, and S. Kim, "The convergence of IP and financial sectors : Analysis of the national competitiveness by using Diamond model approach", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp.227-234, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.3.227
- H. Jeon and S. Lee, "AHP-based technology start-ups factors analysis system", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp.311-317, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.4.311
- N. E. Aaby and S. F. Slater, "Managerial influence on export performance: A review of the empirical literature 1978-1988", Journal Marketing Review, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp.1-18, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-8116(89)90043-8
- S. J. Lee, J. Nam, and S. B. Kim, "Treatment effect analysis of technology-based credit guarantee", Journal of The Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp.2987-3002, 2013.
- U. Iichiro, S. Koji, and G. M. Yamashiro, "Effectiveness of credit guarantees in the Japanese loan market", RIETI Discussion Paper Series, 06-E-004, 2008.
- J. Stiglitz and A. Weiss, "Credit rationing in markets with imperfect information", American Economic Review, Vol. 71, No. 3, pp.393-410, 1981.
- S. G. Kim, "A Study on methodologies for technology capability index of SMEs", Technology Financing Studies, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp.5-38, 2014.
- D. Kim, "Revitalization small businesses of the overseas exchange through the convergence of private network (Focusing on Laos in the Indochina Peninsula)", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 31-36, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.2.031
- Y. Kim, "Convergence of Business Information System Process using Knowledge-based Method", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 65-71, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.4.065