- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
An Eight-Element Compact Low-Profile Planar MIMO Antenna Using LC Resonance with High Isolation
- Kwon, DukSoo (School of Electrical Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Lee, Soo-Ji (School of Electrical Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Jin-Woo (School of Electrical Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Ahn, ByungKuon (School of Electrical Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Yu, Jong-Won (School of Electrical Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Lee, Wang-Sang (Department of Electronic Engineering/Engineering Research Institute (ERI), Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2016.05.28
- Accepted : 2016.07.06
- Published : 2016.07.31
An eight-element compact low-profile multi-input multi-output (MIMO) antenna is proposed for wireless local area network (WLAN) mobile applications. The proposed antenna consists of eight inverted-F antennas with an isolation-enhanced structure. By inserting the isolation-enhanced structure between the antenna elements, the slot and capacitor pair generates additional resonant frequency and decreases mutual coupling between the antenna elements. The overall size of the proposed antenna is only
Isolation Technology;MIMO;Mutual Coupling
- M. S. Sharawi, "Printed multi-band MIMO antenna systems and their performance metrics [wireless corner]," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 218-232, 2013.
- D. M. Pozar and D. H. Schaubert, Microstrip Antennas: The Analysis and Design of Microstrip Antennas and Arrays. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1995.
- S. C. Chen, Y. S. Wang, and S. J. Chung, "A decoupling technique for increasing the port isolation between two strongly coupled antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 56, no. 12, pp. 3650-3658, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2008.2005469
- M. S. Han and J. Choi, "MIMO antenna using a decoupling network for next generation mobile application," in Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Communications and Information Technology, Incheon, Korea, 2009, pp. 568-571.
- C. Y. Chiu, C. H. Cheng, R. D. Murch, and C. R. Rowell, "Reduction of mutual coupling between closely-packed antenna elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 1732-1738, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2007.898618
- K. S. Min, D. J. Kim, and Y. M. Moon, "Improved MIMO antenna by mutual coupling suppression between elements," in Proceedings of the European Conference on Wireless Technology, Paris, 2005, pp. 135-138.
- L. Yang, M. Fan, F. Chen, J. She, and Z. Feng, "A novel compact electromagnetic-bandgap (EBG) structure and its applications for microwave circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 183-190, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2004.839322
- M. T. Islam and M. S. Alam, "Compact EBG structure for alleviating mutual coupling between patch antenna array elements," Progress in Electromagnetics Research, vol. 137, pp. 425-438, 2013. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIER12121205
- J. Park, J. Choi, J. Y. Park, and Y. S. Kim, "Study of a T-shaped slot with a capacitor for high isolation between MIMO antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 11, pp. 1541-1544, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2012.2226695
- A. C. K. Mak, C. R. Rowell, and R. D. Murch, "Isolation enhancement between two closely packed antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 3411-3419, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2008.2005460
- S. Zhang, P. Zetterberg, and S. He, "Printed MIMO antenna system of four closely-spaced elements with large bandwidth and high isolation," Electronics Letters, vol. 46, no. 15, pp. 1052-1053, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2010.1445
- H. Li, J. Xiong, Z. Ying, and S. He, "High isolation compact four-port MIMO antenna systems with built-in filters as isolation structure," in Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, Barcelona, 2010, pp. 1-4.
- Antenna design based on quasi-degenerate characteristic modes of unbroken metal rim pp.1751-8733, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-map.2017.0192
- Hybrid Robust Optimization for the Design of a Smartphone Metal Frame Antenna vol.2018, pp.1687-5877, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/6325806
- Circularly polarised MIMO ground radiation antennas for wearable devices vol.54, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2017.4348
- Trade-Off Analysis of Mutual Coupling Effect on MIMO Antenna Multiplexing Efficiency in Three-Dimensional Space vol.6, pp.2169-3536, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2866427
- Emulation of 3GPP SCME power-delay profiles for characterisation of multiple-input–multiple-output antenna in reverberation chamber vol.12, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-map.2018.0010
- Review of Recent Phased Arrays for Millimeter-Wave Wireless Communication vol.18, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/s18103194
- Calculating Array Patterns Using an Active Element Pattern Method with Ground Edge Effects vol.18, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.26866/jees.2018.18.3.175
- -Port Lossy MIMO Array vol.40, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.2017-0128
- High isolation circularly polarized (CP) antennas using compact soft surface vol.38, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/02726343.2018.1473199