- Volume 10 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A study on blood lipid profiles, aluminum and mercury levels in college students
- Jung, Eunim (Department of Nutrition Team, Soonchunhyang University Bucheon Hospital) ;
- Hyun, Whajin (Department of Food and Nutrition, Joongbu University) ;
- Ro, Yoona (Columbia University) ;
- Lee, Hongmie (Department of Food and Nutrition, Daejin University) ;
- Song, Kyunghee (Department of Food and Nutrition, Myongji University)
- Received : 2015.12.08
- Accepted : 2016.02.23
- Published : 2016.08.01
BACKGROUND/OBJECTIVES: College students are in a period of transition from adolescence to adulthood, in which proper dietary habits and balanced nutritional intake are very important. However, improper dietary habits and lifestyles can bring several health problems. This study was performed to investigate blood lipid profiles, blood aluminum and mercury in college students and the relationships among them. SUBJECTS/METHODS: The subjects were 80 college students (43 males and 37 females) in Gyeonggi-do. General characteristics, anthropometric measurements, blood pressure, blood lipids, SGOT, SGPT, and blood aluminum and mercury of the subjects were measured and analyzed, and their relationship was studied. RESULTS: The BMI was significantly higher in males,
- Kwak HK, Lee MY, Kim MJ. Comparisons of body image perception, health related lifestyle and dietary behavior based on the self-rated health of university students in Seoul. Korean J Community Nutr 2011;16:672-82. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2011.16.6.672
- Yeon JY, Hong SH, Bae YJ. A study on nutritional status and dietary quality of university students by body image. Korean J Community Nutr 2012;17:543-54. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2012.17.5.543
- Choi MK, Jun YS, Park MK. A study on eating patterns and nutrient intakes of college students by residences of self-boarding and home with parents in Chungnam. J Korean Diet Assoc 2000;6:9-16.
- Kim KH. A study on the factors influencing body mass index of university students in the Gwangju area. Korean J Food Cult 2003;18:244-60.
- Chang HS. The study of nutrient intakes, blood lipids and bone density according to obesity degree among university students in Jeonbuk. Korean J Hum Ecol 2014;23:743-57. https://doi.org/10.5934/kjhe.2014.23.4.743
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Korea Health Statistics 2013: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES VI-1). Cheongju: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2014.
- Friedman MI. Control of energy intake by energy metabolism. Am J Clin Nutr 1995;62:1096S-1100S. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/62.5.1096S
- Lee HS, Kwon IS, Kwon CS. Prevalence of hypertension and related risk factors of the older residents in Andong rural area. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 2009;38:852-61. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.7.852
- Batic-Mujanovic O, Beganlic A, Salihefendic N, Pranjic N, Kusljugic Z. Influence of smoking on serum lipid and lipoprotein levels among family medicine patients. Med Arh 2008;62:264-7.
- Telisman S, Jurasovic J, Pizent A, Cvitkovic P. Cadmium in the blood and seminal fluid of nonoccupationally exposed adult male subjects with regard to smoking habits. Int Arch Occup Environ Health 1997;70:243-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004200050214
- Jarup L. Hazards of heavy metal contamination. Br Med Bull 2003;68:167-82. https://doi.org/10.1093/bmb/ldg032
- Oh JS, Lee SH. Pb, Hg and Cd concentration of blood and exposurerelated factors. J Korea Acad Ind Coop Soc 2015;16:2089-99.
- Han SH, Choi DH. Effects of aluminum feedings on aluminum, phospholipid and catecholamine concentrations in old rat brain tissue. Korean J Food Cult 2009;24:236-43.
- Wallace RB, Doebbeling BN, Last JM. Maxcy-Rosenau-Last Public Health & Preventive Medcine. 14th ed. Stanford (CT): Appleton & Lange; 1998.
- Bjorksten JA. Dietary aluminum and Alzheimer's disease. Sci Total Environ 1982;25:81-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-9697(82)90044-4
- Grandjean P, White RF, Weihe P, Jorgensen PJ. Neurotoxic risk caused by stable and variable exposure to methylmercury from seafood. Ambul Pediatr 2003;3:18-23. https://doi.org/10.1367/1539-4409(2003)003<0018:NRCBSA>2.0.CO;2
- Choi DW. Dietary Intake and Risk Assessment of Contaminants in Korean Foods. Seoul: Korea Food and Drug Administration; 2009.
- Kim DS, Lee EH, Yu SD, Cha JH, Ahn SC. Heavy metal as risk factor of cardiovascular disease--an analysis of blood lead and urinary mercury. J Prev Med Public Health 2005;38:401-7.
- Tibbetts J. Children's health: methylmercury and children's heart function. Environ Health Perspect 2004;112:A870. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.112-a870
- Korean Society for the Study of Obesity. The Asia-Pacific Perspective: Redefinding Obesity and It's Treatment. Seoul: Korean Society for the Study of Obesity; 2000.
- Lee JH, Kim MS, O JH. A comparative study on perceptions of body image, body satisfaction, and dietary habits of beauty art major and non-major female college students. J East Asian Soc Diet Life 2007;17:463-73.
- Bresolin L. Body image and health counseling for women. Arch Fam Med 1993;2:1084-7. https://doi.org/10.1001/archfami.2.10.1084
- The Korean Society for Hypertension. 2004 Korean Hypertension Treatment Guidelines. Seoul: The Korean Society for Hypertension; 2004.
- Byun KW, Choi HM. Serum lipid and lipoprotein levels of college students aged 18 to 26 years. Korean J Lipidol 1994;4:29-40.
- Kwon CS, Han EH, Yoon SH, Jang HS. The relationship between the life style and the status of serum lipids and antioxidant vitamins in university students. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 1999;28:257-64.
- Jung YR, Bae YJ, Sung CJ. Comparative study on nutrient intakes, serum lipid profiles of smoking male college students. J East Asian Soc Diet Life 2006;16:515-22.
- Jang HS, Choi JH. The health status according to the age and BMI of male workers in Daegu.Gyeongbuk region. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 2007;36:318-26. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.3.318
- Kim JM, Ahn JM, Kim WS, Kim JI, Shin HR, Jung KY, Kim JY. Blood lead, manganese, aluminium and silicon concentrations in Korean adults. J Prev Med Public Health 2000;33:157-64.
- Rahbar MH, Samms-Vaughan M, Dickerson AS, Hessabi M, Bressler J, Desai CC, Shakespeare-Pellington S, Reece JA, Morgan R, Loveland KA, Grove ML, Boerwinkle E. Concentration of lead, mercury, cadmium, aluminum, arsenic and manganese in umbilical cord blood of Jamaican newborns. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2015;12:4481-501. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph120504481
- Alfrey AC. Aluminum. Adv Clin Chem 1983;23:69-91.
- Flaten TP, Alfrey AC, Birchall JD, Savory J, Yokel RA. Status and future concerns of clinical and environmental aluminum toxicology. J Toxicol Environ Health 1996;48:527-41. https://doi.org/10.1080/009841096161050
- Ministry of Environment (KR). The 2008 hazardous substances survey in Korean [Internet]. Seoul: Korea Ministry of Environment; 2009 [cited 2015 October 30]. Available form: http://www.me.go.kr/home/web/board/read.do?menuId=286&boardMasterId=1&boardCategoryId=39&boardId=170640.
- Hong DH. Relation between heavy metal on smoking and blood pressure and lipid metabolism [master's thesis]. Suwon: Ajou University; 2008.
- Song MR, Cho TJ, Jeon HL, Kim JO, Son BS. A study on mercury concentration in the hair of university students in Jeon-nam area. J Environ Health Sci 2009;35:287-94.
- Mortada WI, Sobh MA, el-Defrawy MM, Farahat SE. Reference intervals of cadmium, lead, and mercury in blood, urine, hair, and nails among residents in Mansoura city, Nile delta, Egypt. Environ Res 2002;90:104-10. https://doi.org/10.1006/enrs.2002.4396
- Kim CW, Kim YW, Chae CH, Son JS, Kim JH, Park HO, Kang YS, Kim JR, Hong YS, Kim DS, Jeong BG. The relationship between fish consumption and blood mercury levels in residents of Busan metropolitan city and Gyeongnam province. J Agric Med Community Health 2012;37:223-32. https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2012.37.4.223
- Smith KM, Barraj LM, Kantor M, Sahyoun NR. Relationship between fish intake, n-3 fatty acids, mercury and risk markers of CHD (National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999-2002). Public Health Nutr 2009;12:1261-9. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980008003844
- Lee YJ, Song KH. A study on the body fat content and serum lipids in college students. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 1996;25:11-20.
- Effects of chronic exposure to mercury and cadmium alone and in combination on the coagulation system of Sprague-Dawley rats vol.41, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/01913123.2017.1327909
- Determination of Trace Metal Levels in the General Population of Korea vol.14, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph14070702
- The Metal Neurotoxins: An Important Role in Current Human Neural Epidemics? vol.14, pp.12, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph14121511