- Volume 10 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Development and evaluation of a dish-based semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire for Korean adolescents
- Yum, Jinhee (Department of Food and Nutrition, Sungshin Women's University) ;
- Lee, Seungmin (Department of Food and Nutrition, Sungshin Women's University)
- Received : 2015.12.02
- Accepted : 2016.04.13
- Published : 2016.08.01
BACKGROUND/OBJECTIVES: The purpose of this study was to develop a dish-based semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire (FFQ) for Korean adolescents and evaluate its reproducibility and validity. SUBJECTS/METHODS: Based on 24-hour dietary recall data from the 4th Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES), we developed a FFQ with 71 items. From a quota sample of 160 adolescents recruited using gender and age group as stratification variables, 153 participated in the complete data collection process. The FFQ was administered to each subject twice, at an interval of 3-4 weeks, to evaluate the test-retest reliability. The validity of the FFQ was assessed relative to 8-day food record data. RESULTS: The study findings demonstrated the FFQ's satisfactory reproducibility. Spearman correlation coefficients ranged from 0.64(for
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)
- Willet W. Nutritional Epidemiology. 2nd ed. New York (NY): Oxford University Press; 1998.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In-depth Analysis on the 2013 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES VI-1): Nutrition Survey. Cheongwon: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2014.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In-depth Analysis on the 2005 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES III): Nutrition Survey. Cheongwon: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2006.
- Rockett HR, Wolf AM, Colditz GA. Development and reproducibility of a food frequency questionnaire to assess diets of older children and adolescents. J Am Diet Assoc 1995;95:336-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(95)00086-0
- Yaroch AL, Resnicow K, Davis M, Davis A, Smith M, Khan LK. Development of a modified picture-sort food frequency questionnaire administered to low-income, overweight, African-American adolescent girls. J Am Diet Assoc 2000;100:1050-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(00)00306-0
- Matthys C, Pynaert I, De Keyzer W, De Henauw S. Validity and reproducibility of an adolescent web-based food frequency questionnaire. J Am Diet Assoc 2007;107:605-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2007.01.005
- Watson JF, Collins CE, Sibbritt DW, Dibley MJ, Garg ML. Reproducibility and comparative validity of a food frequency questionnaire for Australian children and adolescents. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 2009;6:62. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-6-62
- Buzzard IM, Stanton CA, Figueiredo M, Fries EA, Nicholson R, Hogan CJ, Danish SJ. Development and reproducibility of a brief food frequency questionnaire for assessing the fat, fiber, and fruit and vegetable intakes of rural adolescents. J Am Diet Assoc 2001;101:1438-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(01)00347-9
- Vereecken CA, Maes L. A Belgian study on the reliability and relative validity of the health behaviours in school-aged children foodfrequency questionnaire. Public Health Nutr 2003;6:581-8.
- Jensen JK, Gustafson D, Boushey CJ, Auld G, Bock MA, Bruhn CM, Gabel K, Misner S, Novotny R, Peck L, Read M. Development of a food frequency questionnaire to estimate calcium intake of Asian, Hispanic, and white youth. J Am Diet Assoc 2004;104:762-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2004.02.031
- Zemel BS, Carey LB, Paulhamus DR, Stallings VA, Ittenbach RF. Quantifying calcium intake in school age children: development and validation of the Calcium Counts! Food frequency questionnaire. Am J Hum Biol 2010;22:180-6.
- Stiegler P, Sausenthaler S, Buyken AE, Rzehak P, Czech D, Linseisen J, Kroke A, Gedrich K, Robertson C, Heinrich J. A new FFQ designed to measure the intake of fatty acids and antioxidants in children. Public Health Nutr 2010;13:38-46. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980009005813
- Paik HY, Ryu JY, Choi JS, Ahn YJ, Moon HK, Park YS, Lee HK, Kim YI. Development and validation of food frequency questionnaire for dietary assessment of Korean adults in rural area. Korean J Nutr 1995;28:914-22.
- Kim MK, Lee SS, Ahn YO. Reproducibility and validity of a self-administered semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire among middle-aged men in Seoul. Korean J Community Nutr 1996;1:376-94.
- Lee HJ, Lee HS, Ha MJ, Kye SH, Kim CI, Lee CW, Yoon JS. The development and evaluation of a simple semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire to assess the dietary intake of adults in large cities. Korean J Community Nutr 1997;2:349-65.
- Oh SY, Hong MH. Repeatability of a semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire or the Korean elderly. Korean J Nutr 1998;31:1183-91.
- Won HS, Kim WY. Development and validation of a semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire to evaluate nutritional status of Korean elderly. Korean J Nutr 2000;33:314-23.
- Lee HJ, Park SJ, Kim JH, Kim CI, Chang KJ, Yim KS, Kim KW, Choi HM. Development and validation of a computerized semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire program for evaluating the nutritional status of the Korean Elderly. Korean J Community Nutr 2002;7:277-85.
- Ahn Y, Kwon E, Shim JE, Park MK, Joo Y, Kimm K, Park C, Kim DH. Validation and reproducibility of food frequency questionnaire for Korean genome epidemiologic study. Eur J Clin Nutr 2007;61:1435-41. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1602657
- Yim KS, Lee TY, Park HS. The development and validation of a food frequency questionnaire to assess diets of Korean adolescents. Korean J Community Nutr 2003;8:149-59.
- Hernandez-Avila M, Master C, Hunter DJ, Buring J, Philips J, Willett WC. Influence of additional portion size data on the validity of a semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire. Am J Epidemiol 1988;128:891.
- Lee SM. Development and evaluation of a brief fruit and vegetable food frequency questionnaire for higher-grade elementary school child. J East Asian Soc Diet Life 2008;18:675-83.
- Zhuang M, Yuan Z, Lin L, Hu B, Wang X, Yang Y, Chen X, Jin L, Lu M, Ye W. Reproducibility and relative validity of a food frequency questionnaire developed for adults in Taizhou, China. PLoS One 2012;7:e48341. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0048341
- Willett WC, Sampson L, Stampfer MJ, Rosner B, Bain C, Witschi J, Hennekens CH, Speizer FE. Reproducibility and validity of a semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire. Am J Epidemiol 1985;122:51-65. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a114086
- Martin-Moreno JM, Boyle P, Gorgojo L, Maisonneuve P, Fernandez-Rodriguez JC, Salvini S, Willett WC. Development and validation of a food frequency questionnaire in Spain. Int J Epidemiol 1993;22:512-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/22.3.512
- Nematy M, Nouri M, Ghazizahedi S, Norouzy A, Mohajeri SA, Shalaei N, Safariyan M, Esmaily H. Validity and reproducibility of Iranian food frequency questionnaire. Switz Res Park J 2013;102:2137-46.
- Willett W. Food frequency methods. In: Willett W, editor. Nutritional Eepidemiology. New York (NY): Oxford University Press; 1990. p.69-91.
- Kim WY, Yang EJ. A study on development and validation of food frequency questionnaire for Koreans. Korean J Nutr 1998;31:220-30.
- Rimm EB, Giovannucci EL, Stampfer MJ, Colditz GA, Litin LB, Willett WC. Reproducibility and validity of an expanded self-administered semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire among male health professionals. Am J Epidemiol 1992;135:1114-26. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a116211
- Kobayashi T, Kamimura M, Imai S, Toji C, Okamoto N, Fukui M, Date C. Reproducibility and validity of the food frequency questionnaire for estimating habitual dietary intake in children and adolescents. Nutr J 2011;10:27. https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-2891-10-27
- Kim MK, Yun YM, Kim YO. Developing dish-based food frequency questionnaire for the epidemiology study of hypertension among Korean. Korean J Community Nutr 2008;13:701-12.
- Yun SH, Shim JS, Kweon S, Oh K. Development of a food frequency questionnaire for the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: data from the Fourth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES IV). Korean J Nutr 2013;46:186-96. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2013.46.2.186
- Application and Evaluation of Web-based Food Frequency Questionnaire for Korean Adolescents vol.21, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2016.21.5.440
- Food Sources of Sodium Intake in an Adult Mexican Population: A Sub-Analysis of the SALMEX Study vol.9, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/nu9080810
- Gender Analysis of Food Items Selection for Food Frequency Questionnaire Development vol.18, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.15384/kjhp.2018.18.2.98