- Volume 10 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Perception and practice regarding allergen labeling: focus on food-related employees
- Park, Si-Eun (Department of Foodservice Management and Nutrition, Sangmyung University) ;
- Kwon, Yong-Seok (Research Institute of Natural Science, Sangmyung University) ;
- Paik, Jin-Kyoung (Department of Foodservice Management and Nutrition, Sangmyung University) ;
- Kwak, Tong-Kyung (Department of Food and Nutrition, Yonsei University) ;
- Hong, Wan-Soo (Department of Foodservice Management and Nutrition, Sangmyung University)
- Received : 2015.03.13
- Accepted : 2016.02.16
- Published : 2016.08.01
BACKGROUND/OBJECTIVES: Most consumers are able to recognize allergenic foods. However, the frequency of checking such foods is reportedly low, resulting in higher prevalence of food-related allergic reactions in Korea compared to other countries. Thus, this study was performed to investigate the overall perception of allergenic food labeling and its practice level in food manufacturing company employees. SUBJECTS/METHODS: The survey was administered to food safety employees and food development teams at food companies located in metropolitan areas. A total of 399 (93.8%) valid samples were used in the final analysis. Statistical analyses, including Frequency Analysis, t-test, Anova, PCA (Principal Component Analysis), and Pearson Correlation Analysis using SPSS ver. 21.0, were performed. RESULTS: The correct answer rate in the analysis of allergy-related knowledge level ranged from 15.0% to 89.7%. Analysis of differences in allergy-related perception by knowledge level showed significant differences in introduction of a food recall system, strengthening of relevant laws and regulations, content labeling, description of substitutional food, and differentiated package by age. CONCLUSIONS: It can be concluded that labeling of allergenic foods should be made easier and more convenient for checking by employees, developers, and consumers, and it is necessary to provide contents through the development of publicity, guidelines, or APP along with labeling.
Supported by : Ministry of Food and Drug Safety
- Branum AM, Lukacs SL. Food allergy among U.S. children: trends in prevalence and hospitalizations. NCHS Data Brief 2008;10:1-8.
- Kanny G, Moneret-Vautrin DA, Flabbee J, Beaudouin E, Morisset M, Thevenin F. Population study of food allergy in France. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2001;108:133-40. https://doi.org/10.1067/mai.2001.116427
- Sicherer SH. Epidemiology of food allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011;127:594-602. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2010.11.044
- Seo WH, Jang EY, Han YS, Ahn KM, Jung JT. Management of food allergies in young children at a child care center and hospital in Korean. Pediatr Allergy Respir Dis 2011;21:32-8. https://doi.org/10.7581/pard.2011.21.1.32
- Sicherer SH, Sampson HA. Food allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010;125:S116-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2009.08.028
- Kim WK. Diagnosis and treatment of food allergy in children. Pediatr Allergy Respir Dis 2006;16:274-83.
- Sampson HA, Munoz-Furlong A, Campbell RL, Adkinson NF Jr, Bock SA, Branum A, Brown SG, Camargo CA Jr, Cydulka R, Galli SJ, Gidudu J, Gruchalla RS, Harlor AD Jr, Hepner DL, Lewis LM, Lieberman PL, Metcalfe DD, O'Connor R, Muraro A, Rudman A, Schmitt C, Scherrer D, Simons FE, Thomas S, Wood JP, Decker WW. Second symposium on the definition and management of anaphylaxis: summary report Second National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease/Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network symposium. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2006;117:391-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2005.12.1303
- Hong SJ, Ahn KM, Lee SY, Kim KE. The prevalences of asthma and allergic diseases in Korean children. Korean J Pediatr 2008;51:343-50. https://doi.org/10.3345/kjp.2008.51.4.343
- Oh JW, Pyun BY, Choung JT, Ahn KM, Kim CH, Song SW, Son JA, Lee SY, Lee SI. Epidemiological change of atopic dermatitis and food allergy in school-aged children in Korea between 1995 and 2000. J Korean Med Sci 2004;19:716-23. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2004.19.5.716
- Lee SI, Shin MH, Lee HB, Lee JS, Son BK, Koh YY, Kim KE, Ahn YO. Prevalences of symptoms of asthma and other allergic diseases in Korean children: a nationwide questionnaire survey. J Korean Med Sci 2001;16:155-64. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2001.16.2.155
- Hong SJ. Korean ISAAC Study Group of Korean Association of Allergy and Respiratory Diseases: report of Korean ISAAC epidemiologic study for asthma and allergic diseases in children. Pediatr Allergy Respir Dis 2007;17:S55-66.
- Ewan PW, Clark AT. Long-term prospective observational study of patients with peanut and nut allergy after participation in a management plan. Lancet 2001;357:111-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(00)03543-1
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004 (Public Law 108-282, Title II). Silver Spring (MD): U.S. Food and Drug Administration; 2004.
- Mills EN, Valovirta E, Madsen C, Taylor SL, Vieths S, Anklam E, Baumgartner S, Koch P, Crevel RW, Frewer L. Information provision for allergic consumers--where are we going with food allergen labelling? Allergy 2004;59:1262-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1398-9995.2004.00720.x
- Korea Food and Drug Administration . Allergenic Food Labeling Act 2003-27. Seoul: Korea Food and Drug Administration; 2003.
- Sampson HA. Food allergy. Part 1: immunopathogenesis and clinical disorders. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1999;103:717-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0091-6749(99)70411-2
- Lee AH, Kim KE, Lee KE, Kim SH, Wang TW, Kim KW, Kwak TK. Prevalence of food allergy and perceptions on food allergen labeling in school foodservice among Korean students. Allergy Asthma Respir Dis 2013;1:227-34. https://doi.org/10.4168/aard.2013.1.3.227
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (KR). Perception of Allergenic School Food Manual. Seoul: Ministry of Education, Science and Technology; 2012.
- Gendel SM. Comparison of international food allergen labeling regulations. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 2012;63:279-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yrtph.2012.04.007
- Ministry of Education (KR). Statistics on School Foodservice. Seoul: Ministry of Education; 2011.
- Kwak TK, Chung MS, Park SE, Paik JK, Hong WS. Understanding and importance-performance analysis of food allergen labeling system. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 2014;30:325-32. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2014.30.3.325
- Lee SY, Kim KW, Ahn K, Kim HH, Pyun BY, Park YM, Kim KE. Consumer's use and satisfaction of allergic food labels. Pediatr Allergy Respir Dis 2011;21:294-301. https://doi.org/10.7581/pard.2011.21.4.294
- Yang SH, Kim EJ, Kim YN, Seong KS, Kim SS, Han CK, Lee BH. Comparison of eating habits and dietary intake patterns between people with and without allergy. Korean J Nutr 2009;42:523-35. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2009.42.6.523
- Kim YM, Heo YR, Ro HK. Perception and practices regarding food allergy of elementary and middle school nutritionists in the Jeonnam area. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 2014;43:151-61. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.1.151
- Han JS, Hong SO, Kim JS, Han JP, Kim NS. Frequency of food allergy in Korea and the causative food allergens. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 1997;26:1-9.
- Park JY, Park GY, Han YS, Shin MY. Survey of food allergy in elementary school children in Bucheon-city and relationship between food allergy and other allergic diseases. Allergy Asthma Respir Dis 2013;1:266-73. https://doi.org/10.4168/aard.2013.1.3.266
- Choi JH, Rajagopal L. Food allergy knowledge, attitudes, practices, and training of foodservice workers at a university foodservice operation in the midwestern united states. Food Contr 2013;31:474-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2012.10.023
- Kim MJ. Consumer research for improve the food allergy labeling [master's thesis]. Seoul: Sookmyung Women's University; 2013.
- Kim CJ. Study of Detection Methods for Food Allergen: Standardization of Detection Method for Food Allergen and Research on the Actual Condition of Egg Allergen in Processed Food. Seoul: Korea Food and Drug Administration; 2007. p. 5-8.
- Youn SM. Guidance on allergen labeling and the requirements in regulation in U.K. BRC (British Retail Consortium). Health Welf Policy Forum 2013;201:80-93.
- Ajala AR, Cruz AG, Faria JA, Walter EH, Granato D, Sant'Ana AS. Food allergens: knowledge and practices of food handlers in restaurants. Food Contr 2010;21:1318-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2010.04.002
- Cornelisse-Vermaat JR, Voordouw J, Yiakoumaki V, Theodoridis G, Frewer LJ. Food-allergic consumers' labelling preferences: a cross-cultural comparison. Eur J Public Health 2008;18:115-20.
- Goossens NJ, Flokstra-de Blok BM, van der Meulen GN, Botjes E, Burgerhof HG, Gupta RS, Springston EE, Smith B, Duiverman EJ, Dubois AE. Food allergy knowledge of parents - is ignorance bliss? Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2013;24:567-73. https://doi.org/10.1111/pai.12099
- Gupta RS, Kim JS, Springston EE, Smith B, Pongracic JA, Wang X, Holl J. Food allergy knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs in the United States. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2009;103:43-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1081-1206(10)60142-1
- Park JH. Perception analysis of food allergen labeling system for consumers and parents of food-allergenic children [master's thesis]. Seoul: Yonsei University; 2015.
- Choi JH. Food allergy perception providing safe meals: food and nutrition and childhood education students. Korean J Community Living Sci 2015;26:63-74. https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2015.26.1.63
- Marietta AB, Welshimer KJ, Anderson SL. Knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors of college students regarding the 1990 Nutrition Labeling Education Act food labels. J Am Diet Assoc 1999;99:445-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(99)00108-X
- Satia JA, Galanko JA, Neuhouser ML. Food nutrition label use is associated with demographic, behavioral, and psychosocial factors and dietary intake among African Americans in North Carolina. J Am Diet Assoc 2005;105:392-402. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2004.12.006
- Misra R. Knowledge, attitudes, and label use among college students. J Am Diet Assoc 2007;107:2130-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2007.09.001
- Prasad A, Strijnev A, Zhang Q. What can grocery basket data tell us about health consciousness? Int J Res Mark 2008;25:301-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijresmar.2008.05.001
- Simons FE. Anaphylaxis: Recent advances in assessment and treatment. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009;124:625-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2009.08.025
- Mofidi S. Nutritional management of pediatric food hypersensitivity. Pediatrics 2003;111:1645-53.
- Fiocchi A, Martelli A. Dietary management of food allergy. Pediatr Ann 2006;35:755-6. https://doi.org/10.3928/0090-4481-20061001-13
- Kim E, Ham S, Yang IS, Choi JG. The roles of attitude, subjective norm, and perceived behavioral control in the formation of consumers' behavioral intentions to read menu labels in the restaurant industry. Int J Hosp Manag 2013;35:203-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2013.06.008
- Kwon KI, Yoon SW, Kim SJ, Kang H, Kim HN, Kim JY, Kim SY, Kim K, Lee JH, Jung SM, Ock SW, Lee EJ, Kim JW, Kim MC, Park HK. A survey on customers' perceptions of nutrition labeling for processed food and restaurant meal. Korean J Nutr 2010;43:181-8. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2010.43.2.181
- Kim HY. Consumers' perceptions and behavioral intentions toward menu labeling for restaurants [master's thesis]. Seoul: Yonsei University; 2014.
- Choi Y, Ju S, Chang H. Food allergy knowledge, perception of food allergy labeling, and level of dietary practice: A comparison between children with and without food allergy experience. Nutr Res Pract 2015;9:92-8. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2015.9.1.92
- Food labeling issues in patients with severe food allergies vol.17, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1097/ACI.0000000000000362