- Volume 10 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Adenophora remotiflora protects human skin keratinocytes against UVB-induced photo-damage by regulating antioxidative activity and MMP-1 expression
- Kim, Hye Kyung (Department of Food & Biotechnology, Hanseo University)
- Received : 2015.08.13
- Accepted : 2016.01.17
- Published : 2016.08.01
BACKGROUND/OBJECTIVES: Chronic ultraviolet (UV) exposure-induced reactive oxygen species (ROS) are commonly involved in the pathogenesis of skin damage by activating the metalloproteinases (MMP) that break down type I collagen. Adenophora remotiflora (AR) is a perennial wild plant that inhabits Korea, China, and Japan. The present study investigated the protective effects of AR against UVB-induced photo-damage in keratinocytes. MATERIALS/METHODS: An in vitro cell-free system was used to examine the scavenging activity of 2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) free radical and nitric oxide (NO). The effect of AR on ROS formation, antioxidant enzymes, elastase, MMP-1 level, and mRNA expression of MMP-1 were determined in UVB-irradiated human keratinocyte HaCaT cells. RESULTS: AR demonstrated strong DPPH free radical and NO scavenging activity in a cell-free system exhibiting
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Pillai S, Oresajo C, Hayward J. Ultraviolet radiation and skin aging: roles of reactive oxygen species, inflammation and protease activation, and strategies for prevention of inflammation-induced matrix degradation - a review. Int J Cosmet Sci 2005;27:17-34. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-2494.2004.00241.x
- Svobodova A, Psotova J, Walterova D. Natural phenolics in the prevention of UV-induced skin damage. A review. Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub 2003;147:137-45. https://doi.org/10.5507/bp.2003.019
- de Gruijl FR. Photocarcinogenesis: UVA vs UVB. Methods Enzymol 2000;319:359-66.
- Podhaisky HP, Riemschneider S, Wohlrab W. UV light and oxidative damage of the skin. Pharmazie 2002;57:30-3.
- Sander CS, Chang H, Salzmann S, Muller CS, Ekanayake- Mudiyanselage S, Elsner P, Thiele JJ. Photoaging is associated with protein oxidation in human skin in vivo. J Invest Dermatol 2002;118:618-25. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-1747.2002.01708.x
- Jang J, Ye BR, Heo SJ, Oh C, Kang DH, Kim JH, Affan A, Yoon KT, Choi YU, Park SC, Han S, Qian ZJ, Jung WK, Choi IW. Photo-oxidative stress by ultraviolet-B radiation and antioxidative defense of eckstolonol in human keratinocytes. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 2012;34:926-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.etap.2012.08.003
- Meyer W, Neurand K, Radke B. Elastic fibre arrangement in the skin of the pig. Arch Dermatol Res 1981;270:391-401. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00403783
- Wiedow O, Schroder JM, Gregory H, Young JA, Christophers E. Elafin: an elastase-specific inhibitor of human skin. Purification, characterization, and complete amino acid sequence. J Biol Chem 1990;265:14791-5.
- Nichols JA, Katiyar SK. Skin photoprotection by natural polyphenols: anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and DNA repair mechanisms. Arch Dermatol Res 2010;302:71-83. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00403-009-1001-3
- Kim TC. Korean Resources Plants, IV. Seoul: Seoul National University Press; 1998. p.183-9.
- Kim AJ, Han MR, Kim MH, Lee M, Yoon TJ, Ha SD. The antioxidant and chemopreventive potentialities of Mosidae (Adenophora remotiflora) leaves. Nutr Res Pract 2010;4:30-5. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2010.4.1.30
- Kim SH, Choi HS, Lee MS, Chung MS. Volatile compounds and antioxidant activities of Adenophora remotiflora. Korean J Food Sci Technol 2007;39:109-13.
- Huang D, Ou B, Prior RL. The chemistry behind antioxidant capacity assays. J Agric Food Chem 2005;53:1841-56. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf030723c
- Chan WH, Wu CC, Yu JS. Curcumin inhibits UV irradiation-induced oxidative stress and apoptotic biochemical changes in human epidermoid carcinoma A431 cells. J Cell Biochem 2003;90:327-38. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.10638
- Kraunsoe JA, Claridge TD, Lowe G. Inhibition of human leukocyte and porcine pancreatic elastase by homologues of bovine pancreatic trypsin inhibitor. Biochemistry 1996;35:9090-6. https://doi.org/10.1021/bi953013b
- Pfaffl MW. A new mathematical model for relative quantification in real-time RT-PCR. Nucleic Acids Res 2001;29:e45. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/29.9.e45
- Wawszczyk J, Kapral M, Hollek A, Weglarz L. In vitro evaluation of antiproliferative and cytotoxic properties of pterostilbene against human colon cancer cells. Acta Pol Pharm 2014;71:1051-5.
- Russo PA, Halliday GM. Inhibition of nitric oxide and reactive oxygen species production improves the ability of a sunscreen to protect from sunburn, immunosuppression and photocarcinogenesis. Br J Dermatol 2006;155:408-15. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2133.2006.07339.x
- Deliconstantinos G, Villiotou V, Stavrides JC. Nitric oxide and peroxynitrite released by ultraviolet B-irradiated human endothelial cells are possibly involved in skin erythema and inflammation. Exp Physiol 1996;81:1021-33. https://doi.org/10.1113/expphysiol.1996.sp003986
- Afaq F, Mukhtar H. Botanical antioxidants in the prevention of photocarcinogenesis and photoaging. Exp Dermatol 2006;15:678-84. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0625.2006.00466.x
- Sawa T, Nakao M, Akaike T, Ono K, Maeda H. Alkylperoxyl radical-scavenging activity of various flavonoids and other phenolic compounds: implications for the anti-tumor-promoter effect of vegetables. J Agric Food Chem 1999;47:397-402. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf980765e
- Gulcin I, Beydemir S, Alici HA, Elmastas M, Buyukokuroglu ME. In vitro antioxidant properties of morphine. Pharmacol Res 2004;49:59-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phrs.2003.07.012
- Shin MH, Rhie GE, Kim YK, Park CH, Cho KH, Kim KH, Eun HC, Chung JH. H2O2 accumulation by catalase reduction changes MAP kinase signaling in aged human skin in vivo. J Invest Dermatol 2005;125:221-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0022-202X.2005.23823.x
- Pluemsamran T, Onkoksoong T, Panich U. Caffeic acid and ferulic acid inhibit UVA-induced matrix metalloproteinase-1 through regulation of antioxidant defense system in keratinocyte HaCaT cells. Photochem Photobiol 2012;88:961-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-1097.2012.01118.x
- Zaid MA, Afaq F, Syed DN, Dreher M, Mukhtar H. Inhibition of UVB-mediated oxidative stress and markers of photoaging in immortalized HaCaT keratinocytes by pomegranate polyphenol extract POMx. Photochem Photobiol 2007;83:882-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-1097.2007.00157.x
- Graf BL, Cheng DM, Esposito D, Shertel T, Poulev A, Plundrich N, Itenberg D, Dayan N, Lila MA, Raskin I. Compounds leached from quinoa seeds inhibit matrix metalloproteinase activity and intracellular reactive oxygen species. Int J Cosmet Sci 2015;37:212-21. https://doi.org/10.1111/ics.12185
- Chiang HM, Lin TJ, Chiu CY, Chang CW, Hsu KC, Fan PC, Wen KC. Coffea arabica extract and its constituents prevent photoaging by suppressing MMPs expression and MAP kinase pathway. Food Chem Toxicol 2011;49:309-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2010.10.034
- Bae JY, Choi JS, Choi YJ, Shin SY, Kang SW, Han SJ, Kang YH. (-)Epigallocatechin gallate hampers collagen destruction and collagenase activation in ultraviolet-B-irradiated human dermal fibroblasts: involvement of mitogen-activated protein kinase. Food Chem Toxicol 2008;46:1298-307. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2007.09.112
- Reeve VE, Widyarini S, Domanski D, Chew E, Barnes K. Protection against photoaging in the hairless mouse by the isoflavone equol. Photochem Photobiol 2005;81:1548-53. https://doi.org/10.1562/2005-07-26-RA-624
- Sun Z, Park SY, Hwang E, Zhang M, Jin F, Zhang B, Yi TH. Salvianolic acid B protects normal human dermal fibroblasts against ultraviolet B irradiation-induced photoaging through mitogen-activated protein kinase and activator protein-1 pathways. Photochem Photobiol 2015;91:879-86. https://doi.org/10.1111/php.12427
- Rittie L, Fisher GJ. UV-light-induced signal cascades and skin aging. Ageing Res Rev 2002;1:705-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1568-1637(02)00024-7
- Uitto J. The role of elastin and collagen in cutaneous aging: intrinsic aging versus photoexposure. J Drugs Dermatol 2008;7:s12-6.