- Volume 17 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Survey on the Influence of Clinical Nurse's Critical Thinking Disposition, Problem-solving Skill and Self-efficacy on Patients Safety Competencies
간호사의 비판적 사고성향, 문제해결능력 및 자기효능감이 환자안전역량에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2016.05.16
- Accepted : 2016.06.02
- Published : 2016.06.30
This study examined the relationships among patient safety competence, critical thinking disposition, problem-solving competence, and self-efficacy of clinical nurses to identify the factors influencing the patient safety competence. A convenience sample of 373 nurses working in 4 general hospitals in a Metropolitan area in Korea was selected. After obtaining IRB approval, data collection was done with a structured self-administered questionnaire from October 14th to November 4th, 2014. The data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficient and multiple regression analysis using the SPSS WIN 21.0 program. The participants showed a moderate level of patient safety competence (
Critical thinking;Nurse;Patient safety competence;Problem solving;Self-efficacy
- J. Jeong, Y. J. Seo, E. W. Nam, "Factors Affecting Patient Safety Management Activities at Nursing Divisions of Two University Hospitals", The Journal of Korean Society of Hospital Management, Vol.11, No.1, pp.91-109, 2006.
- World Health Organization, Final technical report for the conceptual framework for the international classification for patient safety version 1.1[Internet], World Health Organization, 2009[cited 2014. Aug], Available From: http://www.who.int/patientsafety/taxonomy/icps_full_report.pdf (accessed Mar, 2012)
- Walton. M. M, Shaw. T, Barnet. S, Ross. J, "Developing a national patient safety education framework for Australia", Quality and safety in Health care, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp.437, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/qshc.2006.019216 https://doi.org/10.1136/qshc.2006.019216
- A. C. Greiner, E. Knebel(Eds.), Health Professions Education: A Bridge to Quality, pp.83-98, National Academe Press, Washington DC, 2003.
- H. N. Jang, "Evaluation and application of patient safety competence assessment tool - survey for nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul, 2013.
- Y. M. Lee, "Safety Accident Occurrence to Perceptions of Patient Safety Culture of Hospital Nurses", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.13, No.1, pp.117-124. 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.1.117 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.1.117
- Cronenwett. L, Sherwood. G, Barnsteiner. J, Disch. J, Johnson. J, Mitchell. P, Warren. J, "Quality and safety education for nurses", Nursing Outlook, Vol. 55, No.3, pp.122-131, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2007.02.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2007.02.006
- Korea Institute for Healthcare Accreditation, Standard of Healthcare Accreditation, pp.17-171, 2011.
- Rogal. S. M, "Exploring critical thinking in critical care nursing education : A pilot study", Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, Vol.39, No.1, pp.28-33, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3928/00220124-20080101-08 https://doi.org/10.3928/00220124-20080101-08
- S. M. Park, I. G. Kwon, "Factors influencing nurses' clinical decision making - focusing on critical thinking disposition", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol.37, No.6, pp.863-871, 2007. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.6.863
- J. A. Park, "Critical thinking disposition and clinical competence in general hospital nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Ulsan University, Ulsan, 2008.
- Chartier. L, "Use of metacognition in developing diagnostic reasoning skills of novice nurses", International Journal of Nursing Terminologies and Classifications, Vol.12, pp.55-60, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-618X.2001.tb00119.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-618X.2001.tb00119.x
- M. J. Kang, "Relationship between self-esteem and social problem solving of adolescent", Unpublished Master's thesis, Sogang University, Seoul, 2000.
- Y. H. Shin, "Influencing factors for nurses' problem solving ability related to dysfunctional beliefs and emotion regulation strategy", Unpublished mater's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul, 2012.
- S. K. Chaung, "Critical thinking disposition, problem solving ability, and clinical competence in nursing students", The Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol.18, No.1, pp.71-78, 2011.
- Y. A. Song, "Effect of simulation-based practice by applying problem based learning on problem solving process, self-confidence in clinical performance and nursing competence", Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, Vol.20, No.4, pp.246-254, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2014.20.4.246 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2014.20.4.246
- H. J. Choi, "The effects of PBL(Problem-Based Learning) on the metacognition, critical thinking, and problem solving process of nursing students", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol.34, No.5, pp.712-721, 2004. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.5.712
- A. Bandura, In A. Baum, S. Newman, J. Wienman, R. West, & C. McManus (Eds.), Cambridge Handbook of Psychology, Health and Medicine : Self-Efficacy and Health Behaviour, pp.160-162, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1997.
- Parker, E. Louise, "When to fix it and when to leave: Relationships among perceived control, self-efficacy, dissent, and exit", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.78, No.6, pp.949-959, 1993. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.78.6.949 https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.78.6.949
- Paul. R, Pintrich and Elisabeth. V, De. Groot, "Motivational and self-regulated learning components of classroom academic performance", Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol.82, pp.33-40, 1990. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-06184.108.40.206 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06220.127.116.11
- M, D. Snyder, "Factors related to registered staff nurse clinical competency", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Loyola University of Chicago, 1994.
- E. S. Park, "The relation between self-efficacy and work performance ability of the operation room nurse", Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2014.
- H. Y. Yang, "Study on the Effect of Perception of Hospital Nurses Toward the Patient Safety Culture on the Safety Nursing Activity : Focusing on suncheon region", Unpublished master's thesis, Sunchon National University, Chonnam, 2009.
- N. J. Han, "The awareness on patient safety culture and the degree of safe nursing activity of hospital nurses', Unpublished master's thesis, Kyung book National University, Daegu, 2012.
- Y. J. Lee, "Patient safety culture and management activities perceived by hospital nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Eulji University, Daejeon, 2011.
- N. J. Lee, "Perception of patient safety culture and safety care activity among nurses in small-medium sized general hospitals", Unpublished master's thesis, Jeju University, Jeju, 2011.
- J. E. Kim, M. A. Kang, K. E. Ahn, Y. H. Sung, "A survey of nurses' perception of patient safety related to hospital culture and reports of medical errors", Clinical Nursing Research, Vol.13, No.3, pp.169-179, 2007.
- Donley. Sr. R, "Health care reform: Implications for staff development", Nursing Economics, Vol.12, No.2, pp.71-74, 1994.
- S. H. Park, "The effects of the program for the improvement of college students' critical thinking ability", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Sookmyung Woman's University, Seoul, 1999.
- Heppner, P. Paul, and Chris H. Petersen, "The development and implications of a personal problem solving inventory", Journal of Counseling Psychology, Vol.29, No.1, pp.66-75, 1982. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-018.104.22.168 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-022.214.171.124
- S. K. Chun, "The social skills training for social adjustment of the schizophrenic patients", The Korean Academy of Mental Health Social Work, Vol.2, pp.33-50, 1995.
- M. Sherer, J. E. Maddux, B. Mercandante, S. Prentice-Dunn, B. Jacobs, R. W. Rogers, "The self-efficacy scale: construction and validation", Psychological Reports, Vol.51, pp.663-671, 1982. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19126.96.36.1993 https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19188.8.131.523
- H. Y. Hong, "(The) Relationship of perfectionism, self-efficacy and depression", Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, 1995.
- N. J. Lee, "Development of questionaries to measure baccalaureate nursing student's patient safety competencies", The 11th International Congress on Nursing Informatics, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 2012.
- J. S. Park, "Critical thinking disposition of preceptor nurse and professional nursing competence of new graduate nurse", Journal of Nursing Education, Vol.35, pp.12-18, 2008.
- J. W. Hwang, "(A) Study on the relationships between critical thinking disposition and professional nursing competence", Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, 1998.
- H. R. Choi, D. S. Cho, "The Influence of nurses' performance with critical thinking disposition and problem solving process", Unpublished master's thesis, Eulji University, Daejeon, 2011.
- M. Y. Kim, "Affecting Factors on Clinical Competence of Nursing Students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. Vol. 16, No.3, pp.1884-1893, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.3.1884 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.3.1884
- M. S. Lee, & Y. O. Ha, "Critical Thinking Disposition, Professional Self-Concept and Satisfaction of Clinical Practice in Nursing Students," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. Vol.16, No.12, pp.8737-8744, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8738 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8738
- J. Yoon, "Development of an instrument for the measurement of critical thinking disposition : In nursing", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, the Catholic University, Seoul, 2004.
- A. N. Park, K. H. Chung, W. G. Kim, "A study on the critical thinking disposition, self-directed learning readiness and professional nursing competency", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol.22, No.1, pp.1-10, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.1.1 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.1.1
- S. Yang, G. J. Lee, S. J. Yu, "Self-evaluative awareness of problem solving ability in psychiatric nurse practitioners", Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, Vol.16, No.2, pp.378-387, 2002.
- R. W. Ma, "Critical thinking disposition and problem solving ability of nursing students", Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Woman's University. Seoul, 2009.
- A. S. Jung, "A study on the relations between a health promoting behaviors and self-efficacy in general hospital nurse", Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2007.
- Y. S. Bong, "(The) Factors influencing the job satisfaction of nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Chonnam National University, Gwangju, 2007.
- A. Bandura, "Self-efficacy. In R. J. Corsini (Ed.)", Encyclopedia of psychology, Vol.3, pp.368-369, 1994.
- A. K. Lee, "Comparison of self-efficacy, clinical performance and communication ability between clinical nurses and oncology nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Kyungsang University, Kyungsangnamdo, 2013.
- M. H. Nam, "The cognition level on the patient safety and safe nursing activities among hospital nurses in busan", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Injae University, Kyungsangnamdo, 2010.
- M. J. Sohn, "(The) effects of perception of hospital nurses toward safety climate on safety performance", Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul, 2012.
- S. S. Huh, H. Y. Kang, "The Attitude of Patient Safety and Patient Safety Management Activity in Nursing Students," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. Vol.16, No. 8, pp.5458-5467, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.8.5458 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.8.5458
- J. H. Park, "Knowledge, attitude, and confidence on patient safety of undergraduate nursing students", Unpublished master's thesis, Kyemyung University, Daegu, 2011.
- S. J. Park, "A study on hospital nurses' perception of patient safety culture and safety care activity", Unpublished master's thesis, Donga University, Busan, 2009.
- J. H. Choi, K. M. Lee, M. A. Lee, "Relationship between hospital nurses' perceived patient safety culture and their safety care activities", The Journal of Korean Academy Fundamental nursing, Vol.17, No.1, pp.64-72, 2010.
- S. H. Kang, "The cognition level on the patient safety and safe nursing activities among hospital nurses in busan", Health and Social Science, Vol. 28, pp.197-221, 2010.
- Y. H. Kim, Y. M. Lee, "Relationship of Learning Motivation, Self-Directed Learning Ability and Problem Solving Process of Nursing Students after Practice Evaluation of Fundamentals of Nursing Course using Role Play", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. Vol.13, No. 1, 147-155, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.1.147 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.1.147
- K. H. Lee, J. S. Song, "The effect of emotional intelligence on self-efficacy and job stress of nurses : mediating role of self-efficacy", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol.16, No.1, pp.17-25, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.1.17 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.1.17
- M. R. Song, "Effects of organizational communication and incident reports on patient safety management activities in nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2014.
- M. S. Kim, Y. H. Kim, "Development and Evaluation of Patient Safety Reporting Promoting Education Program", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. Vol.13, No.1, pp.284-295, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.1.284 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.1.284
- JCAHO, Sentinel Event Data: Root Causes by Event Type, [cited 2015 Oct], Available From: http://www.jointcommission.org/assets/1/18/Root_Causes_by_Event_Type_2004-2014.pdf, (accessed Oct., 2015)