- Volume 31 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Separation and Characteristics of ADH and ALDH Activators in Fermented Lycii fructus Extract
발효 전후 구기자열매 추출물의 ADH 및 ALDH 활성인자 분리 및 특성
- Received : 2016.05.09
- Accepted : 2016.06.27
- Published : 2016.06.30
Lycii fructus has been traditionally used as a preventive and therapeutic medicine to treat enervation and diverse chronic diseases. In this study, we investigated whether fermentation of Lycii fructus extract (LE) increases the enzymatic activity of the alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) and aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH). The fermentation of LE by Bacillus subtilis subsp. subtilis and Saccharomyces cerevisiae IFO 2376 was shown to increase the enzymatic activity of ADH and ALDH. TLC analysis of LE and fermented LE (FLE) showed that ADH and ALDH activities increased in different spots. Fraction No. 66 of LE and fraction No. 68 of FLE by Silica gel chromatography showed increased ADH activity of 129.1% and 148.9%, respectively. Fractions No. 128 of LE and FLE by Silica gel chromatography showed increased ALDH activity of 134.1% and 148.1%, respectively. The fraction No. 68 of FLE obtained by HPLC showed new peaks at
Lycii fructus extract;Fermented Lycii fructus extract;Alcohol dehydrogenase;Aldehyde dehydrogenase;Activators
- Lee, J. H., N. K. Kim, D. Y. Lee, and C. H. Lee (1999) Protective effect of selscted amino acids and food extracts on ethanol toxicity determent in rat liver. Kor. J. Food. Sci. Technol. 31: 802-808.
- Kang, B. K., S. T. Jung, and S. J. Kim (2002) Effects of vegetable extracts by solvent separation on alcohol dehydrogenase activity from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Kor. J. Food. Sci. Technol. 34: 244-248.
- Park, Y. J., M. H. Kim, and S. J. Bae (1992) Enhancement of anticarcinogenic effect by combination of Lycii fructus with vitamin C. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 31: 143-148.
- Na, Y. G. and K. H. Kim (1987) Effect of Atractylis Rhizoma and Lycii fructus on cell-mediated and humoral immune response in mice. K. H. Univ. O. Med. J. 10: 579-587.
- Kang, K. I., J. Y. Jung, K. H. Koh, and C. H. Lee (2006) Hepatoprotective effects of Lycium chinense Mill fruit extracts and fresh fruit juice. Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. 38: 99-103.
- Shon, Y. G., K. H. Cho, Y. S. Kim, H. S. Bae, and K. S. Lee (2007) Experimental studies of the effects of Lycii fructus, Lycii cortex radicis and Lycii folium on hypertension, hyperglycemia and hyperlipidemia. K. H. Univ. O. Med. J. 16: 31-52.
- Kim, K. S., S. H. Shim, G. H. Jeong, C. S. Cheong, K. H. Ko, J. H. Park, H. Huh, B. J. Lee, and B. K. Kim (1998) Anti-diabetic activity of constituents of Lycii Fructus. J. Appl. Pharmacol. 6: 378-382.
- Hwang, S. Y., J. T. Lee, Y. U. Kim, and H. J. Kim (2013) Skin whitening effects of extracts from angelicae Gigantis radix and Lycii fructus ethanol extracts. Herb. Formula Sci. 21: 91-98. https://doi.org/10.14374/HFS.2013.21.1.091
- Yoon, C. G., T. W. Jeon, M. J. Oh, G. H. Lee, and J. H. Jeon (2000) Effect of the ethanol extract of Lycium chinense on the oxygen free radical and alcohol metabolizing enzyme activities in rats. Kor. J. Soc. Food Sci. Mutr. 29: 157-273.
- Hubert, J., M. Berger, F. Paul, and J. Dayde (2008) Effects of fermentation on the phytochemical compositionand antitoxidant properise of soy germ. Food Chem. 109: 709-721. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.12.081
- Jung, T. J., D. O. Hang, B. H. Choi, C. Park, H. J. Lee, S. H. Kim, and D. H. Hahm (2007) Effect of fermented herbal extracts, HP-1 on enzyme actvities and gene expression related to alcohol metabolism in ethanol-loaded rats. Kor. J. Oriental Physol. Pathol. 21: 387-391.
- Katina, K., K. H. Liukkonen, A. Kaukovirta-Norja, H. Adlercreutz, S. M. Heinonen, A. M. Lampi, J. M. Pihlava, and K. Poutanen (2007) Fermentation-induces change in the nutritional value of native or germinated rye. J. Cereal Sci. 46: 348-355. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcs.2007.07.006
- Choi, Y. K., J. U. Sul, S. K. Park, S. N. Yu, S. H. Kim, M. S. Rhee, S. C. Ahn, and M. S. Shin (2012) Research trends of fermented medical herb based on their clinical efficacy and safety assessment. J. Life Sci. 22: 1729-1739. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2012.22.12.1729
- Ministry of health and welfare, and centers for disease control and prevention (2014) Korea health statistics 2013: Korea national health and nutrition examination survey (KNHANES VI-1). Ministry of health and welfare. pp. 24-25.
- Tsukamoto, S., T. Muto, T. Nagoya, M. Shimamura, M. Satio, and H. Tainaka (1989) Determination of ethanol, acetaldehyde and acetate in blood and urine during alcohol oxidation in man. Alcohol Alcoholism 24: 101-108. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.alcalc.a044872
- Lieber, C. S. (1994) Alcohol and the liver: update. Gastroenterology 106: 1085-1090. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-5085(94)90772-2
- Bode, C., V. Kugler, and J. C. Bode (1987) Endotoxemia in patients with alcoholic and non-alcoholic cirrhosis and in subjects with no evidence of chronic liver disease following acute alcohol excess. J. Hepatol. 4: 8-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-8278(87)80003-X
- Setshedi, M., J. R. Wands, and S. M. Monte (2010) Acetaldehyde adducts in alcoholic liver disease. Oxid. Med. Cell. Longev. 3: 178-185. https://doi.org/10.4161/oxim.3.3.12288
- Moore, P. A. and W. H. Patrick (1987) Effect of zinc deficiency on alcohol dehydrogenase activity and nutrient uptake in rice. Agron. J. 80: 882-885.
- Cha, J. Y., H. J. Jung, J. J. Jeong, H. J. Yang, Y. T. Kim, and Y. S. Lee (2009) Effects of amino acids on the activities of alcohol metabolizing enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) and acetaldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH). J. Life Science 19: 1321-1327. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2009.19.9.1321
- Yin, M., K. Ikejima, G. E. Arteel, V. Seabra, B. U. Bradford, H. Kono, I. Rusyn, and R. G. Thurman (1998) Glycine accelerates recovery from alcohol-induced liver injury. J. Pharacol. Exp. Ther. 286: 1014-1019.
- Jeon, B. S., J. W. Park, B. K. Kim, H. K. Kim, T. S. Jung, J. R. Hahm, D. R. Kim, Y. S. Cho, and J. Y. Cha (2005) Fermented mushroom milk-supplemented dietary fibre prevents the onset of obesity and hypertriglyceridaem in Otsuka Long-Evans Tokushima fatty rats. Diabetes Obes. Metab. 7: 709-715. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1463-1326.2005.00456.x
- Bergmeyer, H. U. (1974) Methods of enzyme analysis. Academic Press. New York. p. 28.
- Koivula, T. and M. Koivusalo (1975) Different form of rat liver aldehyde dehydrogenase and their subcellular distribution. Biophys. Acta. 397: 9-23.
- Kim, B. W. and K. S. Roh (2000) Study on the activity of GOT and GPT in the hepatotoxic rat treated Lycium chinese mill. Kor. J. Biomed. Lab. Sci. 6: 187-192.
- Choi, J. T., H. K. Joo, and S. K. Lee (1995) The effect of Schizandrae Fructus extract on alcohol fermentation and enzyme activities of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Agric. Chem. Biotechnol. 38: 278-282.
- Racker, E. (1995) Alcohol dehydrogenase from bakers yeast. Meth. Enzymol. 1: 500-506.
- Hwang, J. Y., J. W. Ham, and S. H. Nam (2004) Effect of Maesil (Prunus mume) juice on the alcohol metabolizing enzyme activities. Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. 36: 329-332.
- Tottmar, S. O., H. Petterson, and K. H. Kiessling (1973) The subcellular distribution and properties of aldehyde dehydrogenase in rat liver. J. Biochem. 135: 577-581. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj1350577a
- Lee, K. S., G. H. Kim, B. J. Seong, H. H. Kim, M. Y. Kim, and M. R. Kim (2009) Effect of aqueous medicinal herb extracts and aqueous fermented extracts on alcohol-metabolizing enzyme activities. Kor. J. Food Preserv. 16: 259-265.
- Yu, T. S., H. J. Choi, and C. G. Yoon (2003) Effect of Monascus pigment extract on the alcohol metabolism in rats. Kor. J. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 32: 603-607. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.4.603