- Volume 25 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Removal of Iron from Ilmenite through Selective Chlorination Using PVC
PVC에 의한 일메나이트 광석 중 선택염화에 의한 Fe의 제거
- Son, Yongik (School of Materials Science and Engineering, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Ring, Rie (School of Materials Science and Engineering, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Sohn, Ho-Sang (School of Materials Science and Engineering, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2016.05.02
- Accepted : 2016.06.10
- Published : 2016.06.30
Study on chlorination of ilmenite ore were carried out by using PVC(polyvinyl chloride) as the chlorinating agent in a static bed reactor for selective removal of iron. The effect of amount of PVC and reaction temperature were investigated. It was found that the removal ratio of iron increased with amount of PVC and temperature. After reaction with HCl gas generated from PVC, porous surface of the specimens were observed. As a result, HCl gas could react with iron in the central portion of ilmenite particle through these pores. Examination of data using kinetic model suggest that the selective chlorination rate is controlled by chemical reaction at the interface of particles. The activation energy for the selective chlorination of ilmenite using PVC was calculated as 20.47 kJ/mol.
Supported by : 산업통상자원부
- Kathleen L. Housley, 2007: Black Sand, The History of Titanium, Chapter One New Element, p. 1, Metal Management Aerospace, Inc. Hartford, USA.
Joon-Soo Kim, et al., 2004: Upgrade of
$TiO_2$by Carbon Reduction of Ilmenite, J. Kor. Inst. of Resources Recycling 13(5), pp. 17-22.
- Thomas S. Mackey, 1974: Acid Leaching of Ilmenite into Synthetic Rutile, Ind. Eng. Chem., Prod. Res. Develop. 13(1), pp. 9-18. https://doi.org/10.1021/i360049a003
- Tai Ouk Kang and Jong Kyu Yoon, 1978: Reduction Kinetics of Synthetic Ilmenite by Graphite, J. Kor. Inst. Metals 16(2), pp. 80-89.
- Eungyeul Park and Oleg Ostrovski, 2003: Reduction of Titania-Ferrous Ore by Carbon Monoxide, ISIJ International 43(9), pp. 1316-1325. https://doi.org/10.2355/isijinternational.43.1316
- Eungyeul Park and Oleg Ostrovski, 2004: Reduction of Titania-Ferrous Ore by Hydrogen, ISIJ International 44(6), pp. 999-1005. https://doi.org/10.2355/isijinternational.44.999
- Michel Gueguin and Francois Cardarelli, 2007: Chemistry and Mineralogy of Titania-rich Slags. Part 1- Hemo-Ilmenite, Sulphate and Upgraded Titania Slags, Mineral Processing & Extractive Metall. Rev. 28. pp. 1-58. https://doi.org/10.1080/08827500600564242
- Tong-Suk Yun and Young Paik, 1976: Kinetics of Chlorination of Titaniferous Magnetite-Selective Chlorination Rate of Ilmenite, J. Kor. Inst. Metals 14(3), pp. 74-80.
- K.I. Rhee and H.Y. Sohn, 1990: The Selective Carbochlorination of Iron from Titaniferous Magnetite Ore in a Fluidized Bed, Metall. Trans. B 21B, pp. 341-347.
- Jungshin Kang and Toru H. Okabe, 2014: Thermodynamic Consideration of the Removal of Iron from Titanium Ore by Selective Chlorination, Metall. Trans. B 45B, pp. 1260-1271.
- Jungshin Kang and Toru H. Okabe, 2013: Removal of Iron from Titanium Ore through Selective Chlorination Using Magnesium Chloride, Materials Trans. 54(8), pp. 1444-1453. https://doi.org/10.2320/matertrans.M-M2013810
- GyeSeung Lee and YoungJun Song, 2003: Study on the Synchronous Recycling of EAF Dust and Waste PVC, J. Kor. Inst. of Resources Recycling 12(6), pp. 47-56.
- J.S.J. Van Deventer, 1988: Kinetics of the Selective Chlorination of Ilmenite, Thermochemica Acta 124, pp. 205-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/0040-6031(88)87023-0
- Arun S. Atha Vale and Vishwanath A. Altekar, 1971: Kinetics of Selective Chlorination of Ilmenite Using Hydrogen Chloride in a Fluidized Bed, Ind. Eng. Chem. Process, Design and Development 10, pp. 523-530. https://doi.org/10.1021/i260040a017
- C. M. LAKSHMANAN, H. E. HOELSCHER$ and B. CHENNAKESAVA, 1965: The kinetics of ilmenite beneficiation in a fluidised chlorinator, Chemical Engineering Science 20, pp. 1107-1113. https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-2509(65)80114-2
- K. SWAMINATHAN and CH. SRIDHAR RAO, 1984: Chloridization Beneficiation of Ilmenite, Metall. Trans B 15B, pp. 259-275.
- Current Status of Ilmenite Beneficiation Technology for Production of TiO2 vol.25, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7844/kirr.2016.25.5.64