- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Randomized-Control Screening Trials to Lower Gall Bladder Cancer Mortality in High Risk Populations
- Krishnatreya, Manigreeva (Cancer Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Dr.B Borooah Cancer Institute) ;
- Kataki, Amal Chandra (Gynecologic Oncology, Dr.B Borooah Cancer Institute)
- Published : 2016.06.01
Gall bladder cancer is generally fatal. The high morbidity and mortality due to gall bladder cancer exerts a significant impact on efforts towards cancer control in high risk populations of the World and a rationale program for control of gall bladder cancer mortality has remained as an unmet need in these populations. Currently there are no effective strategies for controlling gall bladder cancer mortality. This mini review is to highlight the need and feasibility for secondary prevention of gall bladder cancer by screening in high risk populations. A way forward is to assess the role of secondary prevention of gall bladder cancers by conducting randomized-controlled screening trials in high risk populations.
- Andren-Sanberg A (2012). Diagnosis and management of gallbladder polyps. N Am J Med Sci, 4, 203-11 https://doi.org/10.4103/1947-2714.95897
- Cha BH, Bae JM (2014). Comparison of clinical outcomes of incidental and non-incidental gallbladder cancers: a singlecenter cross- sectional study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1281-3. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1281
- Duffy A, Capanu M, Abou-Alfa GK, et al (2008). Gallbladder cancer (GBC): 10-year experience at memorial sloankettering cancer centre (MSKCC). J Surg Oncol, 98,485-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.21141
- Dutta U (2012). Gallbladder cancer: can newer insights improve the outcome? J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 27, 642-53 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1746.2011.07048.x
- Dwivedi S, Agrawal S, Singh S, et al (2015). Association of cytochrome-17 (mspa1) gene polymorphism with risk of gall bladder stones and cancer in North India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 5557-63. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5557
- Emmett CD, Barrett P, Gilliam AD, et al (2015). Routine versus selective histological examination after cholecystectomy to exclude incidental gallbladder carcinoma. Ann R Coll Surg Engl, 97, 526-9. https://doi.org/10.1308/rcsann.2015.0013
- Furlan A, Ferris JV, Hosseinzadeh K, et al (2008). Gallbladder carcinoma update: multimodality imaging evaluation, staging, and treatment options. AJR Am J Roentgenol, 191, 1440-7. https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.07.3599
- Hundal R, Shaffer EA (2014). Gallbladder cancer: epidemiology and outcome. Clin Epidemiol, 6, 99-109.
- Inui K, Yoshino J, Miyoshi H (2011). Diagnosis of gallbladder tumors. Intern Med, 50, 1133-6. https://doi.org/10.2169/internalmedicine.50.5255
- Jayaraman S, Jarnagin WR (2010). Management of gallbladder cancer. Gastroenterol Clin North Am, 39, 331-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gtc.2010.02.006
- Juffs HG, Tannock IF (2002). Screening trials are even more difficult than we thought they were. J Natl Cancer Inst, 94, 156-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/94.3.156
- Lai CH, Lau WY (2008). Gallbladder cancer- a comprehensive review. Surgeon, 6, 101-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1479-666X(08)80073-X
- Lazcano-Ponce EC, Miquel JF, Munoz N, et al (2001). Epidemiology and molecular pathology of gallbladder cancer. CA Cancer J Clin, 51, 349-64. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.51.6.349
- Mishra K, Behari A, Kapoor VK, et al (2015). Platelet derived growth factor-b and human epidermal growth factor receptor-2 polymorphisms in gall bladder cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 5647-54. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.5647
- Mohandas KM, Patil PS (2006). Cholecystectomy for asymptomatic gallstones can reduce gall bladder cancer mortality in northern Indian women. Indian J Gastroenterol, 25, 147-51.
- Puschel K, Sullivan S, Montero J, et al (2002). Cost-effectiveness analysis of a preventive program for gallbladder disease in Chile. Rev Med Chil, 130, 447-59
- Rammohan A, Cherukuri SD, Sathyanesan J, et al (2014). Incidental gall bladder cancers: are they truly incidental? World J Gastrointest Oncol, 6, 441-3 https://doi.org/10.4251/wjgo.v6.i12.441
- Randi G, Franceschi S, La Vecchia C (2006). Gallbladder cancer worldwide: geographical distribution and risk factors. Int J Cancer, 118, 1591-602 https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.21683
- Randi G, Malvezzi M, Levi F, et al (2009). Epidemiology of biliary tract cancers: an update. Ann Oncol, 20, 146-59
- Reid KM, Ramos-De la Medina A, Donohue JH (2007). Diagnosis and surgical management of gallbladder cancer: a r eview. J Gastrointest Surg, 11, 671-81. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11605-006-0075-x
- Rodriguez-Fernandez A, Gqmez-Rio M, Medina-Benitez A, et al (2006). Application of modern imaging methods in diagnosis of gallbladder cancer. J Surg Oncol, 93, 650-64 https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.20533
- Waghmare RS, Kamat RN (2014). Incidental gall bladder carcinoma in patients undergoing cholecystectomy: a report of 7 cases. J Assoc Physicians India, 62, 793-6.
- Wilson JMG, Jungner G (1968). Principles and practice of screening for disease. World Health Organization Public Health Papers, 34.
- Wistuba II, Gazdar AF (2004). Gallbladder cancer: lessons from a rare tumour. Nat Rev Cancer, 4, 695-706. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc1429