- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Survival Rates for Breast Cancer in Iranian Patients: a Meta-Analysis
- Rahimzadeh, Mitra (Research Center for Social Determinations of Health, Alborz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Pourhoseingholi, Mohamad Amin (Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases Research Center, Research Institute for Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Kavehie, Behrooz (National Organization for Educational Testing (NOET))
- Published : 2016.06.01
Background: Breast cancer is the most common cancer among Iranian women. Since development of the disease in Iranian women occurs relatively early, the survival rate matters considerably. In different countries, survival of breast cancer patients varies considerably. Therefore, the one-year, three-year, five-year, and ten-year survival rates for breast cancer in Iran were assessed using a meta-analysis. Materials and Methods: This systematic review and meta-analysis was based on valid Iranian sources including SID, MAGIRAN and IRANMEDEX, along with reliable English databases, namely, PUBMED and SCOPUS. In domestic databases, a search was conducted based on key words of breast cancer and survival rate, and in international databases, with "breast cancer" and the equivalent of "neoplasm" of Mesh Word, "survival rate" and "Iran." Then all reviewed papers and theses which met the inclusion criteria were selected for investigation. To conduct the analysis STATA 11.2 software and random-effects models were used. Results: In 24 studies, 22,745 participants were included. The one-year, three-year, five-year and ten-year survival rates were 0.956, 0.808, 0.695 and 0.559, respectively. The minimum and maximum survival rates for 5-years were 0.48 and 0.87. The average age of the onset of the disease was 48.3. Conclusions: As in Iran, since the onset of the disease is at low age, in spite of the relatively high survival rate as compared to other cancers, prevention and screening programs at early age for early stage diagnosis seems necessary.
- Akbari ME, Khayamzadeh M, Khoshnevis SJ, et al (2008). Five and ten years survival in breast cancer patients mastectomies vs. breast conserving surgeries personal experience. Iran J Cancer Prev, 2, 53-6.
- Akbari ME, Mirzaei HR, Soori H (2006). Five year survival of breast cancer in Shohada-e-Tajrish and Jorjani hospitals. Hakim Res J, 9, 39-44 [in Persian].
- Arkoob K, Al-Nsour M, al-Nemry O, Al-Hajawi B (2010). Epidemiology of breast cancer in women in Jordan: patient characteristics and survival analysis. East Mediterr Health J, 6, 1032-8.
- Babaei GR, Feizi A, Keshavarz M (2005). Assessment of different method of treatment and surgical effect on survival rate in patients with breast cancer. Daneshvar, 13, 19-28 [in Persian].
- Fallahzadeh H, Momayyezi M, Akhundzardeini R, et al (2014). Five year survival of women with breast cancer in Yazd. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 6597-601. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6597
- Fardmal J, Mafi M, Sadighi-Pashaki A (2014). Factors affecting survival in breast cancer patients referred to the Darol Aitam-e Mahdieh center. J Zanjan Univ Med Sci, 22, 105-15 [in Persian].
- Fazeli Z, Najafian-Zade M, Eshrati B, et al (2014). A five-year evaluation of epidemiological, geographical distribution and survival analysis of breast cancer in Markazi Province, 2007-11. Arak Medical University J, 16, 72-9 [in Persian].
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bary F, et al (2010). Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide, international agency for research on cancer, GLOBOCAN 2008 v1.2, Lyon.
- Fouladi N, Amani F, Harghi AS, et al (2011) Five year survival of women with breast cancer in ardabil, north-west of Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1799-801.
- Ghavam-Nasiri MR, Anvari K, Nowferesti GH, et al, (2005). Locally advanced breast cancer: an experience in Mashhad, north-east of Iran, 1995-1999. Arch Iranian Med, 8, 206-10.
- Gohari MR, Moghadamifard Z, Abolghasemi J, et al (2013). Prognostic factors of metastases in breast cancer patients using the recurrent andersen-gill model. Koomesh, 14, 483-9 [in Persian]
- Hagigat S, Olfat Bakhsh O, Sajadian A, et al (2013). Survival rate and its correlated factors in breast cancer patients referred to Breast Cancer Research Center. Iran J Breast Dis, 6, 28-36 [in Persian].
- Harirchi I, Karbakhsh M, Kashefi A (2004). Breast cancer in Iran: results of a multi-center study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 5, 24-7.
- Hasanzadeh S (2014). Estimate of survival rate in patient with breast cancer in Fasa between 2002-2012. Thesis [in Persian].
- Heydari ST, Mehrabani D, Tabei SZ, et al (2009). Survival of breast cancer in Southern Iran. Iran J Cancer Prev, 2, 51-4.
- Islamic Republic of Iran. Ministry of Health and Medical Education. Center for Disease Control & Prevention. Noncommunicable Deputy. Cancer Office (2009). Iranian Annual of National Cancer Registration Report.
- Jayasinghe UW, Tylor R, Boyages J, (2005). Is age at diagnosis an independent prognostic factor for survival following breast cancer? ANZ J Surg, 75, 762-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1445-2197.2005.03515.x
- Karimi A, Delpisheh A, Sayehmiri K, et al (2014). Predictive factors of survival time of breast cancer in Kurdistan province of Iran between 2006-2014: a Cox regression approach. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8483-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.19.8483
- Kolahdoozan S, Sadjadi AR, Radmard AR, et al (2010). Five Common Cancers in Iran. Arch Iran Med, 13, 143-6.
- Lan NH, Laohasiriwong W, Stewart JF (2013). Survival probability and prognostic factors for breast cancer patients in Vietnam. Glob Health Action, 6, 1-9.
- Miller BA, Feuer EJ, Hankey BF (2004). Recent incidence trends for breast cancer in women and the relevance of early detection: an update. CA Cancer J Clin, 43, 27-30.
- Moetamed N, Negin H, Taleei AR (2004). Evaluation of risk factor on women of older than 35 years with breast cancer in Shiraz, 2001. J Zanjan Univ Med Sci, 12, 25-33 [in Persian].
- Mokhtari-Hesari P, Pasha E, Gohari MR (2013). Prognostic Factors on Metastasis and Mortality Incidence in Breast cancer with disease and mortality Model. Iran J Breast Dis, 6, 36-42 [in Persian].
- Mokarian F, Mokarian Sh, Ramezani A (2013). Relations of disease-free survival and overall survival with age and primary metastases in patients with breast cancer. J Isfahan Univ Med Sci, 31, 112-20 [in Persian].
- Moradi-Marjaneh M, Homaee-Shandiz F, Shamsian SAA, et al (2005). Association between Her2/neu, P53, ER and Pr genes with survival rate in Iranian women with breast cancer. Iran J Breast Dis, 1, 7-17. [Persian]
- Mousavi SM, Mohagheghi MA, Mousavi-Jerrahi A, et al (2008). Outcome of Breast Cancer in Iran: A Study of Tehran Cancer Registry Data. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 275-8.
- Mousavi SM, Montazeri A, Mohagheghi MA, et al (2007). Breast cancer in iran: an epidemiological review. Breast J, 13, 383-91. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1524-4741.2007.00446.x
- Movahedi M, Haghighat SH, Khayamzadeh M, et al (2012). Survival rate of breast cancer based on geographical variation in Iran, a national study. Iran Red Creacent Med J, 14, 798-804. https://doi.org/10.5812/ircmj.3631
- Querzoli P, Pedriali M, Rinaldi R, et al (2006). Axillary Lymph node nonmetastases are prognostic relapse in breast cancer patient. Clin Cancer Res, 12, 6696-701. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-06-0569
- Rajaeifard A, Talei A, Baneshi M (2006). Survival analysis models for breast cancer patients in Shiraz, 1993-2002. J Med Res, 3, 41-50 [in Persian].
- Rezaianzadeh A, Peacock J, Reidpath D, et al, (2009). Survival analysis of 1148 women diagnosed with breast cancer in Southern Iran. BMC Cancer, 9, 168. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-9-168
- Salehi M, Gohari M, Vahabi N, et al (2013). Comparison of artificial neural networks and cox regression models in survival prediction of breast cancer patients. J Ilam Univ Med Sci, 21, 120-8 [in Persian].
- Sharifian A, Pourhoseingholi MA, Emadedin M, et al (2015). burden of breast cancer in Iranian women is increasing. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 5049-52. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.5049
- Sirous M, Ebrahimi A (2008). The epidemiology of breast masses among women in Isfahan. Iran J Surg, 16, 51-6.
- Taghavi A, Fazeli Z, Vahedi M, et al (2012). Increased trend of breast cancer mortality in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 367-70. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.367
- Taheri NS, Bakhshandehnosrat S, Aarabi M (2012). Epidemiological pattern of breast cancer in Iranian women- is there an ethnic disparity?. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4517-20. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4517
- Tayebi M, Shabestani-Monfared A, Moslemi D (2012). A 10 year survey of cancer in patients who referred to Shahid Rajai Radiotherapy Center in North of Iran (2000-2009). J Babol Univ Med Sci, 14, 97-101 [in Persian].
- Vahdaninia M, Harirchi I, Montazeri (2002). Assessment of five year survival rate in breast cancer women referred to the Emam Khomeini Hospital: A Prospective study. Payesh, 2, 141-8 [in Persian].
- Vostakolaei FA, Broeders MJ, Rostami N, et al (2012). Age at Diagnosis and Breast Cancer Survival in Iran. Int J Breast Cancer, 2012, 517976.
- World health organization regional Office for the Eastern Mediterranean (2006). Guidelines for the management of Breast Cancer, EMRO Technical Publications Series 31, Cairo.
- Yaghmaei S, Bani-Hashemi G, Ghorbani R (2008). Survival rate following treatment of primary breast cancer in Semnan, Iran (1991-2002). J Semnan Univ Med Sci, 9, 111-7 [in Persian].
- Yavari P, Pourhoseingholi MA (2007). Socioeconomic factors association with knowledge and practice of breast selfexamination among Iranian women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 8, 618-22.
- Ziaei JE, Sanaat Z, Asvadi I, et al (2013). Survival analysis of breast cancer patients in Northwest Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 39-42. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.39
- Elevated Syndecan-1 levels in the sera of patients with breast cancer correlate with tumor size vol.24, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12282-017-0773-0
- Survival probability and prognostic factors of Iranian breast cancer patients using cure rate model pp.1075122X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/tbj.13120