- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Adenosine Deaminase - a Novel Diagnostic and Prognostic Biomarker for Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma
- Kelgandre, Deepak Chandrakant (Oral Pathology and Microbiology, Dentistry, YCMM & RDFs Dental College and Hospital) ;
- Pathak, Jigna (Oral Pathology and Microbiology, Dentistry, YCMM & RDFs Dental College and Hospital) ;
- Patel, Shilpa (Dept. Oral Pathology and Microbiology, MGM Dental College and Hospital) ;
- Ingale, Pramod (Dept. Biochemistry, LTMC) ;
- Swain, Niharika (Oral Pathology and Microbiology, Dentistry, YCMM & RDFs Dental College and Hospital)
- Published : 2016.06.01
Background: The number of patients with oral cancer in India is increasing gradually (especially in younger people). Although the diagnostic modalities and therapeutic management of oral cancer are improving, the treatment outcome and prognosis of oral cancer remain poor. The absence of definite early warning symptoms for most head and neck cancers suggests that sensitive and specific biomarkers are likely to be important in screening for high-risk patients. Aims: To analyze serum adenosine deaminase (ADA) levels in oral squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC) cases who reported to our institute. Materials and Methods: A prospective study was performed on 100 histopathologically proven cases of OSCC (study group) and 100 normal healthy individuals (control group). Independent sample and one sample t-tests and one way ANOVA followed by Tuckey's POST HOC test were conducted for analysis. Results: Statistically significant increase in serum ADA levels was observed in OSCC cases compared to the control group. Also serum ADA level increased significantly with the histopathological grade. Conclusions: Serum ADA levels in OSCC may be a useful diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers in clinical practice and our findings suggest that a large-scale study is warranted to confirm clinical utility as a prognostic and diagnostic biomarker.
Oral SCC;adenosine deaminase;biomarker;prognosis
- Ashok KJ, Pinto GJO, Kavitha AK, et al (2008). The diagnostic and prognostic value of serum adenosine deaminase levels in head and neck cancer. J Clin Diag Res, 3, 833-37.
- Balis EM (1985). Adenosine deaminase and malignant cells. Ann NY Acad sci, 451, 142-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.1985.tb27105.x
- Franco R (1997). Cell surface adenosine deaminase: much more than an ectoenzyme. Prog Neurobiol, 52, 283-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-0082(97)00013-0
- Ferlay J, Pisani P, Parkin DM (2004). Globocan. Cancer incidence, mortality and prevalence worldwide. Lyon: IARC Press
- Harbans lal, SK Munjal, Umesh Wig, et al (1987). Serum enzymes in head and neck cancer III. J Laryngol Otol, 101, 1062-5. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022215100103226
- Kalcioglu MT (2004). Adenosine deaminase, xanthine oxidase, superoxide dismutase, glutathione peroxidase activities and malondialdehyde levels in the serum of patients with head and neck carcinoma. Kulak Burun Bogaz Ihtis Derg, 12, 16-22.
- Kerawala CJ (2010). Complications of head and neck cancer surgery: Prevention and management. Oral Oncol, 46, 433-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2010.03.013
- Linden J (2006). Adenosine metabolism and cancer. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol, 17, 1-7.
- Mini walia, Mridula Mahajan, K Singh (1995). serum adenosine deaminase, 5’- nucleotidase & alkaline phosphatase in Breast cancer Patients. Indian J Med Res, 101, 247-9.
- Suchitra MM, Prabhakar Reddy E, Muni Sudhakar G, et al (2009). Evaluation of serum adenosine deaminase as a tumor marker in gastric cancer. Res J Medicine Med Sci, 4, 411-4.
- Pragathi P, Bharath Kumar, Amar Kumar P, et al (2005). Evaluation of serum adenosine deaminase and 5’-nucleotidase activities as probable markers in ovarian cancer. Indian J Clin Bio, 20, 195-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02867428
- Mishra R, Agarwal MK, Chansuria JPN (2000). Serum adenosine deaminase levels as an index of tumor growth in head and neck malignancy. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 52, 360-3.
- Rakesh Dhankhar, Kiran Dahiya, Tarun Kumar Sharma, et al (2011). Diagnostic significance of adenosine deaminase, uric acid and C-reactive protein levels in patients of head and neck carcinoma. Clin Lab, 57, 795-8.
- Dermirtas S (1996). Adenosine deaminase, 5’-nucleotidase, guanase and cytidine deaminase activites in gastric and breast-cancer. SDV Tip Fakultesi Dergisi, 3, 1-4.
- St. John, MAR, Li Y, Zhou X, et al (2004). Interleukin 6 and interleukin 8 as potential biomarkers for oral cavity and oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 103, 929-35.
- Warnakulasuriya S (2009). Global epidemiology of oral and pharyngeal cancer. Oral Oncol, 45, 309-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2008.06.002
- Guesti G (1974). Adenosine deaminase In: Bergmeyer HU editor. Methods of enzymatic analysis, 2nd Ed, 2, New York: Academic press Inc, 1092-9.
- Analysis of the ectoenzymes ADA, ALP, ENPP1, and ENPP3, in the contents of ovarian endometriomas as candidate biomarkers of endometriosis pp.10467408, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/aji.12794
- Role of adenosine signaling in the pathogenesis of head and neck cancer vol.119, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.27091
- Increased Cytokeratin 19 Fragment Levels Are Positively Correlated with Adenosine Deaminase Activity in Malignant Pleural Effusions from Adenocarcinomas vol.2018, pp.1875-8630, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/2609767
- Serum Adenosine Deaminase Levels and Human Papillomavirus as Prognostic and Predictive Factors for Laryngeal and Pharyngeal Carcinomas pp.0973-7707, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12070-018-1378-4
- Prognostic value of serum liver enzymes in oral and oropharynx squamous cell carcinomas vol.48, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jop.12803