- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Multiple Myeloma: a Retrospective Analysis of 61 Patients from a Tertiary Care Center
- Sultan, Sadia (Department of Hematology and Blood Bank, Liaquat National Hospital and Medical College) ;
- Irfan, Syed Mohammed (Department of Hematology and Blood Bank, Liaquat National Hospital and Medical College) ;
- Parveen, Saira (Department of Hematology and Blood Bank, Liaquat National Hospital and Medical College) ;
- Ali, Hamza (Liaquat National Medical College) ;
- Basharat, Maria (Liaquat National Medical College)
- Published : 2016.06.01
Background: Multiple myeloma (MM) is an acquired clonal B-cell malignancy which primarily affects elderly individuals with an annual incidence of approximately 1% of all malignancies. Our aim is to study demographic and clinicopathological features of adult Pakistani MM patients at presentation. Materials and Methods: This single centre retrospective study extended from January 2010 to December 2014. Data were retrieved from the patients' maintained records on predetermined performa. Results: Overall, 61 patients were diagnosed at our institution with MM during the study period. There were 43 males and 18 females. Age ranged between 34 and 81 years with a mean of
- Basit A, Siddiqui N, Hameed A, et al (2014). Factors affecting outcome of patients with multiple myeloma. J Ayub Med Coll Abottabad, 26, 376-9.
- Eriksson M, Karisson M (1992). Occupational and other environ mental factors and multiple niycolma: a population based case-control study. Br1, Ind Med, 49, 95-103.
- Inam ullah, Raziq F, Tahir M, Wazir R, Rafiq A (2010). Hematological Presentation of Multiple Myeloma in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. Gomal J Med Sciences, 8, 130-3.
- Kaur P, Shah BS, Baja P (2014). Multiple myeloma: a clinical and pathological profile. Gulf J Oncolog, 1, 14-20.
- Kyle RA, Gertz MA, Witzig TE, et al (2003). Review of 1027 patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma. Mayo Clinic Proc, 78, 21-33. https://doi.org/10.4065/78.1.21
- Landgren O, Weiss BM (2009). Patterns of monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance and multiple myeloma in various ethnic/racial groups: support for genetic factors in pathogenesis. Leukemia, 23, 1691-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/leu.2009.134
- McKenna RW, Kyle RA, Kuehl WM, et al (2008). WHO classification of tumours of haemopoietic and lymphoid tissues. Lyon: International Agency Res Cancer, 202.
- Mehdi WA, Zainulabdeen JA, Mehde AA (2013). Investigation of the antioxidant status in multiple myeloma patients: effects of therapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3663-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3663
- Mansoor S, Siddiqui I, Adil S, Kakapeto GN, Fatmi Z (2005). Frequency of hypercalcemia in patients of multiple myeloma in Karachi. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak, 15, 409-12.
- Mansoor S, Siddiqui I, Adil S, et al (2007). Anion gap among patients of multiple myeloma and normal individuals. Clin Biochem, 40, 226-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2006.10.011
- Mohammadi M, Cao Y, Glimelius I, et al (2015) .The impact of comorbid disease history on all-cause and cancer-specific mortality in myeloid leukemia and myeloma - a Swedish population-based study. BMC Cancer, 15, 850. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-015-1857-x
- Omoti CE, Nwannadi AI, Obieche JC, Olu-Eddo AN (2012). The epidemiological features of lymphoid malignancies in Benin City, Nigeria: a 15 years study. Pan Afr Med J, 11, 10.
- Rajkumar SV (2011). Treatment of multiple myeloma. Nat Rev Clin Oncol, 8, 479-91. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrclinonc.2011.63
- Shaheen H, Ghanghroo I, Malik I (1999). Clinicopathological features and management of Pakistani patients with multiple myeloma. J Pak Med Assoc, 4, 233-7.
- Sashidharan N, Shenoy S, Kishore MK, Thanusubramanian H (2015). Comparison of two therapeutic regimes, lenalidomide with dexamethasone and thalidomide with dexamethasone, in the treatment of multiple myeloma at a tertiary care hospital in India. J Clin Diagn Res, 9, 1-4. https://doi.org/10.1111/crj.12091
- Sun JJ, Zhang C, Zhou J, Yang HL (2015). Pooled analysis of pomalidomide for treating patients with multiple myeloma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 3163-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3163
- Sutandyo N, Firna E, Agustina J, et al (2015). Clinicopathology profile and bone involvement of multiple myeloma patients in dharmais national cancer hospital, indonesia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 6261-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.15.6261
- Subramanian R, Basu D, Dutta TK (2009). Prognostic significance of bone marrow histology in multiple myeloma. Indian J Cancer, 46, 40-5. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-509X.48594
- Vincent Rajkumar S (2014). Multiple myeloma: 2014 Update on diagnosis, risk-stratification, and management. Am J Hematol, 89, 999-1009.
- Wang L, Wang KF, Chang BY, Chen XQ, Xia ZJ (2015). Once-weekly subcutaneous administration of bortezomib in patients with multiple myeloma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 2093-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.2093
- Yassin AK (2013). Clinical and Laboratory Profiles of 109 Patients diagnosed as Multiple Myeloma in Erbil City. J Fac Med Baghdad, 55, 121-4.
- Combined therapeutic effects of bortezomib and anacardic acid on multiple myeloma cells via activation of the endoplasmic reticulum stress response vol.14, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2016.5533