- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of KiSS1 as a Prognostic Biomarker in North Indian Breast Cancer Cases
- Singh, Richa (Department of Radiotherapy, King George's Medical University) ;
- Bhatt, Madan Lal Brahma (Department of Radiotherapy, King George's Medical University) ;
- Singh, Saurabh Pratap (Department of Hematology, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences) ;
- Kumar, Vijay (Department of Surgical Oncology, King George's Medical University) ;
- Goel, Madhu Mati (Department of Pathology, King George's Medical University) ;
- Mishra, Durga Prasad (Endocrinology Division, Central Drug Research Institute (CSIR)) ;
- Kumar, Rajendra (Department of Radiotherapy, King George's Medical University)
- Published : 2016.06.01
Background: Breast cancer is the commonest female cancer worldwide and its propensity to metastasize negatively impacts on therapeutic outcome. Several clinicopathological parameters with prognostic/predictive significance have been associated with metastatic suppressor expression levels. The role of metastatic suppressor gene (MSG) KiSS1 in breast cancer remains unclear. Our goal was to investigate the possible clinical significance of KiSS1 breast cancer. Materials and Methods: The study was conducted on 87 histologically proven cases of breast cancer and background normal tiisue. Quantitative reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (qRT PCR) and immunohistochemistry (IHC) were used to investigate KiSS1 at gene and protein levels, respectively, for correlation with several patient characteristics including age, family history, hormonal receptor status, stage, tumor size, nodal involvement and metastatic manifestation and finally with median overall survival (OS). Results: Our study revealed (i) KiSS1 levels were generally elevated in breast cancer vs normal tissue (P < 0.05). (ii) however, a statistically significant lower expression of KiSS1 was observed in metastatic vs non metastatic cases (P = 0.04). (iii) KiSS1 levels strongly correlated with T,N,M category, histological grade and advanced stage (p<0.001) but not other studied parameters. (iv) Lastly, a significant correlation between expression of KiSS1 and median OS was found (P = 0.04). Conclusions: Conclusively, less elevated KiSS1 expression is a negative prognostic factor for OS, advancing tumor stage, axillary lymph node status, metastatic propensity and advancing grade of the breast cancer patient. Patients with negative KiSS1 expression may require a more intensive therapeutic strategy.
Breast cancer;prognosis;KiSS1;North India;metastasis
- Asthana S, Chauhan S, Labani S (2014). Breast and cervical cancer risk in India: an update. Indian J Public Health, 58, 5-10 https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-557X.128150
- Bevilacqua JL, Kattan MW, Fey JV, et al (2007). Doctor, what are my chances of having a positive sentinel node? A validated nomogram for risk estimation. J Clin Oncol, 25, 3670-79. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.08.8013
- Cebrian V, Fierro M, Orenes-Piñero E, et al (2011). KiSS1 methylation and expression as tumor stratification biomarkers and clinical outcome prognosticators for bladder cancer patients. Am J Pathol, 179, 540-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajpath.2011.05.009
- Christopher R. Bohl, Sitaram Harihar, Warren L. Denning, et al (2014). Metastasis suppressors in breast cancers: mechanistic insights and clinical potential. J Mol Med (Berl), 92, 3-30.
- Das S, Sen S, Mukherjee A, Chakraborty D, et al (2012). Risk factors of breast cancer among women in eastern India: A tertiary hospital based case control study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4979-81. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.10.4979
- DeSantis C, Ma J, Bryan L, et al (2013). Breast cancer statistics, 2013. CA Cancer J Clin, 64, 52-62.
- Dhar DK, Naora H, Kubota H, et al (2004). Downregulation of KiSS-1 expression is responsible for tumor invasion and worse prognosis in gastric carcinoma. Int J Cancer, 111, 868‑72. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.20357
- Donna Cvetkovic, Andy V. Babwah, Moshmi Bhattacharya (2013). Kisspeptin/KiSS1R system in breast cancer. J Cancer, 8, 653-61.
- Gao GL, Liu LD, Zou XS, Chen WX (2007). Expression of KiSS‑1, matrix metalloproteinase‑9, nuclear factor‑kappaBp65 in ovarian tumour. Zhonghua Fu Chan Ke Za Zhi, 42, 34‑38
- Gur AS, Unal B, Ozbek U, et al (2010). Validation of breast cancer nomograms for predicting the non-sentinel lymph node metastases after a positive sentinel lymph node biopsy in a multi-center study. Eur J Surg Oncol, 36, 30-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2009.05.007
- Harvey JM, Clark, GM, Osborne, CK, et al, (1999). Estrogen receptor status by immunohistochemistry is superior to the ligand-binding assay for predicting response to adjuvant endocrine therapy in breast cancer. J Clin Oncol, 17, 1474-81. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19188.8.131.524
- Ke Ji, Lin Ye, Fiona Ruge et al (2014). Implication of metastasis suppressor gene, Kiss-1 and its receptor Kiss-1R in colorectal cancer, BMC Cancer, 14,723. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-14-723
- Karapanagiotou EM, Dilana KD, Gkiozos I, et al (2011). Metastin is not involved in metastatic potential of non-small cell lung cancer. Med Oncol, 28, 559-64. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-010-9466-7
- Kostadima L, Pentheroudakis G Pavlidis N (2007). The missing kiss of life: transcriptional activity of the metastasis suppressor gene KiSS1 in early breast cancer. Anticancer Res, 27, 2499-504.
- Kostakis ID, Agrogiannis G, Vaiopoulos AG, et al (2013). KiSS1 expression in colorectal cancer. APMIS, 121, 1004-10. https://doi.org/10.1111/apm.12161
- Kotani M, Detheux M, Vandenbogaerde A, et al (2001). The metastasis suppressor gene KiSS-1 encodes kisspeptins, the natural ligands of the orphan G protein-coupled receptor GPR54. J Biol Chem, 276, 34631-36. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M104847200
- Lee JH, Miele ME, Hicks D, et al, (1996). KiSS-1, a novel human malignant melanoma metastasis-suppressor gene. J Natl Cancer Inst, 88, 1731-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/88.23.1731
- Li N, Wang HX, Zhang J, et al (2012). KISS-1 inhibits the proliferation and invasion of gastric carcinoma cells. World J Gastroenterol, 18, 1827-33. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v18.i15.1827
- Makri A, Pissimissis N, Lembessis P, et al (2008). The kisspeptin (KiSS-1)/GPR54 system in cancer biology. Cancer Treat Rev, 34, 682-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctrv.2008.05.007
- Mansel RE, Fallowfield, L, Kissin, M, et al (2006). Randomized multicenter trial of sentinel node biopsy versus standard axillary treatment in operable breast cancer: The ALMANAC trial. J Natl Cancer Inst, 98, 599-609. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djj158
- Martin TA, Watkins G, Jiang WG (2005). KiSS-1 expression in human breast cancer. Clin Exp Metastasis, 22, 503-11. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10585-005-4180-0
- Masui T, Doi R, Mori T, et al (2004). Metastin and its variant forms suppress migration of pancreatic cancer cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 315, 85‑92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2004.01.021
- Messager S- (2008). Kisspeptin and its receptor: new gatekeepers of puberty. J Neuroendocrinol, 17, 687-8.
- Mickey RM and Greenland S (1989). The impact of confounder selection criteria on effect estimation. Am J Epidemiol. 129, 129-37.
- Mitchell DC, Stafford LJ, Li D, et al (2007). Transcriptional regulation of KiSS-1 gene expression in metastatic melanoma by specificity protein-1 and its coactivator DRIP-130. Oncogene, 26, 1739-47. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1209963
- Moya P, Esteban S, Fernandez-Suarez A, et al (2013). KiSS-1 methylation and protein expression patterns contribute to diagnostic and prognostic assessments in tissue specimens for colorectal cancer. Tumour Biol, 34, 471-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-012-0572-3
- Ohtaki T, Shintani Y, Honda S, et al (2001). Metastasis suppressor gene KiSS-1 encodes peptide ligand of a G-protein-coupled receptor. Nature, 31, 613-7.
- Okugawa Y, Inoue Y, Tanaka K, et al (2013). Loss of the metastasis suppressor gene KiSS1 is associated with lymph node metastasis and poor prognosis in human colorectal cancer. Oncol Rep, 3, 1449-54.
- Sanchez-Carbayo M, Capodieci P and Cordon-Cardo C (2003). Tumor suppressor role of KiSS-1 in bladder cancer: loss of KiSS-1 expression is associated with bladder cancer progression and clinical outcome. Am J Pathol, 162, 609-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9440(10)63854-0
- Sasaki H, Miura K, Horii A, et al (2008). Orthotopic implantation mouse model and cDNA microarray analysis indicates several genes potentially involved in lymph node metastasis of colorectal cancer. Cancer Sci, 99, 711-719. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2008.00725.x
- Schumacher P, Dineen S, Barnett C Jr, et al (2007). The metastatic lymph node ratio predicts survival in colon cancer. Am J Surg, 194, 827-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2007.08.030
- Schmid K, Wang X, Haitel A, et al (2007). KiSS‑1 overexpression as an independent prognostic marker in hepatocellular carcinoma: an immunohistochemical study. Virchows Arch, 450, 143‑9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00428-006-0352-9
- Stark AM, Tongers K, Maass N, et al (2005). Reduced metastasissuppressor gene mRNA-expression in breast cancer brain metastases. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 131, 191-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-004-0629-9
- Sun YB, Xu S (2013). Expression of KiSS1 and KiSS1R (GPR54) may be used as favorable prognostic markers for patients with non-small cell a cancer. Int J Oncol, 43, 521-30. https://doi.org/10.3892/ijo.2013.1967
- Tachibana M, Kinugasa S, Dhar DK, et al (1999). Prognostic factors in T1 and T2 squamous cell carcinoma of the thoracic esophagus. Arch Surg, 134, 50‑54 https://doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.134.1.50
- Taucher S, Rudas M, Mader RM, et al (2003). Do we need HER-2/neu testing for all patients with primary breast carcinoma? Cancer, 98, 2547-53. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.11828
- Ulasov IV, Kaverina NV, Pytel P, et al (2012). Clinical significance of KiSS1 protein expression for brain invasion and metastasis. Cancer, 118, 2096-105. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.26525
- Wang H, Jones J, Turner T, et al (2012). Clinical and biological significance of KiSS1 expression in prostate cancer. Am J Pathol, 180, 1170‑8 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajpath.2011.11.020
- Yao HL, Yang ZL, Li YG et al (2007). In situ hybridization study on the expression of KiSS1and KAI‑1 metastasis suppressor genes in gastric cancer. Zhonghua Wei Chang Wai Ke Za Zhi, 10, 274‑7
- Association between XRCC1 single-nucleotide polymorphisms and susceptibility to nasopharyngeal carcinoma vol.97, pp.32, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000011852