- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Uterine Sarcoma: Clinical Presentation, Treatment and Survival Outcomes in Thailand
- Potikul, Chalermrat (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine Vajira Hospital, Navamindradhiraj University) ;
- Tangjitgamol, Siriwan (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine Vajira Hospital, Navamindradhiraj University) ;
- Khunnarong, Jakkapan (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine Vajira Hospital, Navamindradhiraj University) ;
- Srijaipracharoen, Sunamchok (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine Vajira Hospital, Navamindradhiraj University) ;
- Thavaramara, Thaovalai (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine Vajira Hospital, Navamindradhiraj University) ;
- Pataradool, Kamol (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine Vajira Hospital, Navamindradhiraj University)
- Published : 2016.06.01
Background: Uterine sarcoma is a group of rare gynecologic tumors with various natures, and different lines of treatment. Most have a poor treatment outcome. This study targeted clinical characteristics, treatment, overall survival (OS), progression-free survival (PFS), and prognostic factors in uterine sarcoma patients in one tertiary center for cancer care. Materials and Methods: Uterine sarcoma patients who were treated at the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine Vajira Hospital between January 1994 and December 2014 were identified. Clinico-pathological data were analyzed. Prognostic outcomes were examined by Kaplan-Meier curves and Cox regression analysis. Results: We identified 46 uterine sarcoma patients: 25 carcinosarcoma (CS) (54.3%), 15 leiomyosarcoma (LMS) (32.6%), and 6 undifferentiated uterine sarcoma (UUS) (13.1%) cases. Mean age was
- Bansal N, Herzog TJ, Burke W, Cohen CJ, Wright JD (2008). The utilty of preoperative endometrial sampling for the detection of uterine sarcomas. Gynecol Oncol, 110, 43-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2008.02.026
- Benito V, Lubrano A, Arencibia O, et al (2009). Clinicopathologic analysis of uterine sarcomas from a single institution in the Canary Islands. Int J Gynaecol Obstet, 1079, 44-9.
- Brooks SE, Zhan M, Cote T, Baquet CR (2004). Surveillance, epidemiology and end results analysis of 2677 cases of uterine sarcoma 1989-1999. Gynecol Oncol, 93, 204-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2003.12.029
- Cantrell LA, Blank SV, Duska LR (2015). Uterine carcinosarcoma: A review of the literature. Gynecol Oncol.
- Durnali A, Tokluoglu S, Ozdemir N, et al (2012). Prognostic Factors and Treatment Outcomes in 93 Patients with Uterine Sarcoma from 4 Centers in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1935-41. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.1935
- Gao Y, Meng H, Zhang Y, Jiao T, Hui N (2014). Retrospective analysis of 80 cases with uterine carcinosarcoma, leiomyosarcoma and endometrial stromal sarcoma in China,1988-2007. Int J Clin Exp Pathol, 7, 1616-24.
- Ghaemmaghami F, Zarchi MK, Gilani MM, et al (2008). Uterine sarcoma : clinicopathological characteristics, treatment and outcomes in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 421-6.
- Hensley ML, Ishill N, Soslow R, et al (2009). Adjuvant gemcitabine plus docetaxel for completely resected stages I-IV high grade uterine leiomyosarcoma: Results of a prospective study. Gynecol Oncol, 112, 563-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2008.11.027
- Homesley HD, Filiaci V, Markman M, et al (2007). Phase III trial of ifosfamide with or without paclitaxel in advanced uterine carcinosarcoma: a Gynecologic Oncology Group Study. J Clin Oncol, 25, 526-31. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.06.4907
- Kapp DS, Shin JY, Chan JK (2008). Prognostic factors and survival in 1396 patients with uterine leiomyosarcomas: emphasis on impact of lymphadenectomy and oophorectomy. Cancer, 112, 820-30. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.23245
- Kelly KL, Craighead PS (2005). Characteristics and management of uterine sarcoma patients treated at Tom Baker Cancer Centre. Int J Gynecol Cancer, 15, 132-39. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1048-891x.2005.15014.x
- Koivisto-Korander R, Butzow R, Koivisto A, Leminen A (2008). Clinical outcome and prognostic factors in 100 cases of uterine sarcoma: experience in Helsinki University Central Hospital 1990–2001. Gynecol Oncol, 111, 74–81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2008.06.002
- Kushner DM, Webster KD, Belinson JL, et al (2000). Safety and efficacy of adjuvant single-agent ifosfamide in uterine sarcoma. Gynocol Oncol, 78, 221-7. https://doi.org/10.1006/gyno.2000.5875
- Leitao MM, Sonoda Y, Brennan MF, Barakat RR, Chi DS (2003). Incidence of lymph node and ovarian metastases in leiomyosarcoma of the uterus. Gynecol Oncol, 91, 209-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-8258(03)00478-5
- Livi L, Paiar F, Shah N, et al (2003). Uterine sarcoma: Twentyseven years of experience. Int J Radiation Oncol Biol Phys, 57, 1366-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-3016(03)00750-8
- Maki RG, Wathen JK, Patel SR, et al (2007). Randomized phase II study of gemcitabine and docetaxel compared with gemcitabine alone in patients with metastatic soft tissue sarcomas: results of sarcoma alliance for research through collaboration study 002. J Clin Oncol, 25, 2755-63. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.10.4117
- McCluggage WG (2002). Uterine carcinosarcomas (malignant mixed Mullerian tumors) are metaplastic carcinomas. Int J Gynecol Cancer, 12, 687-90. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1525-1438.2002.01151.x
- Muss HB, Bundy B, Disaia PJ, et al (1985). Treatment of recurrent or advanced uterine sarcoma. A randomized trial of doxorubicin versus doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide (a phase III trial of the gynecologic oncology group). Cancer, 55, 1648-53. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19850415)55:8<1648::AID-CNCR2820550806>3.0.CO;2-7
- O'Cearbhail R, Hensley ML (2010). Optimal management of uterine leiomyosarcoma. Expert Rev. Anticancer Ther, 10, 153-69. https://doi.org/10.1586/era.09.187
- Oliva E, Carcangiu ML, Carinelli SG, et al (2014). Mesenchymal tumours. In "WHO classification of tumors of female reproductive organs", Kurman RJ. IARC Press, France 135-47.
- Park JY, Kim DY, Suh DS, et al (2008). Prognostic factors and treatment outcomes of patients with uterine sarcoma: analysis of 127 patients at a single institution, 1989–2007. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 134, 1277–87. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-008-0422-2
- Powell MA, Filiaci VL, Rose PG, et al (2010). Phase II evaluation of paclitaxel and carboplatin in the treatment of carcinosarcoma of the uterus: A Gynecologic oncology Group Study. J Clin Oncol, 28, 2727-31. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.26.8326
- Prat J (2009). FIGO staging for uterine sarcomas. Int J Gynaecol Obstet, 104, 177-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijgo.2008.12.008
- Rauh-Hain JA, del Carmen MG (2013). Endometrial stromal sarcoma: a systematic review. Obstet Gynecol, 122, 676-83. https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0b013e3182a189ac
- Reed NS, Mangioni C, Malmström H, et al (2008). Phase III randomized study to evaluate the role of adjuvant pelvic radiotherapy in the treatment of uterine sarcomas stages I and II: an European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer Gynaecological Cancer Group Study (protocol 55874). Eur J Cancer, 44, 808-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2008.01.019
- Sutton G, Brunetto VL, Kilgore L, et al (2000). A phase III trial of ifosfamide with or without cisplatin in carcinosarcoma of the uterus: A Gynecologic Oncology Group Study. Gynecol Oncol, 79, 147-53. https://doi.org/10.1006/gyno.2000.6001
- Tangjitgamol S, Khunnarong J, Katanyoo K, et al (2015). Patterns of adjuvant therapy for endometrial cancer: Single institutional experience in Thailand. Int J Gynecol Cancer, 25, 665-72. https://doi.org/10.1097/IGC.0000000000000391
- Tangjitgamol S, Khunnarong J, Srijaipracharoen S (2014). Medical morbidities in endometrial cancer patients. Int J Gynecol Cancer, 24, 1623-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/IGC.0000000000000291
- Thigpen JT, Blessing JB, Beecham J, Homesley H, Yordan E (1991). Phase II trial of cisplatin as first-line chemotherapy in patients with advanced or recurrent uterine sarcoma: A Gynecologic Oncology Group study. J Clin Oncol, 9, 1962-6. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19126.96.36.1992
- Ulrich LG (2015). Benign leiomyoma or malignant sarcoma: The difficult differential diagnosis. Maturitas, 80, 235-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2014.12.021
- Wells M, Oliva E, Palacios J, Prat J (2012). Mixed epithelial and mesenchymal tumours. In "WHO classification of tumors of female reproductive organs", Kurman RJ. IARC Press, France 148-51.
- Trends of uterine cancer incidence: a projection from the past to the future vol.30, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3802/jgo.2019.30.e36