- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Association of Viral Infections with Risk of Human Lymphomas, Egypt
- Kadry, Dalia Y (Clinical Pathology Department, National Cancer Institute, Cairo University) ;
- Khorshed, Amira M (Clinical Pathology Department, National Cancer Institute, Cairo University) ;
- Rashed, Reham A (Clinical Pathology Department, National Cancer Institute, Cairo University) ;
- Mokhtar, Nadia M (Pathology Department, National Cancer Institute, Cairo University)
- Published : 2016.06.01
Background: The aim of this study was to determine and evaluate the association of different viral infections, with hepatitis B and C viruses, Epstein-Barr virus, cytomegalovirus and human herpes virus-8 (HBV, HCV, EBV, CMV, HHV-8) with the risk of lymphomas (Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin) among Egyptian patients, and correlate with the histopathological staging and typing as well as the prevalence of combined infections. Materials and Methods: A total of 100 newly diagnosed lymphoma patients with 100 healthy age and sex matched normal controls were assayed for viral infection using enzyme linked immunosorbant assay (ELISA) followed by real time polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR). Results: Our results showed a high statistical significant difference between cases and controls as regards clinical and laboratory findings (P<0.001 and=0.003). A high statistical difference was seen for the association of most viruses and lymphoma cases (p<0.001) except for positive HBs Ag, positive CMV IgG and HHV-8 (p=0.37, 0.70 and 1.0 respectively). No statistical significant difference was found between Hodgkin (HL) and non-Hodgkin (NHL) as regards viral prevalence except HCV antigen, 57.1% for HL and 26.5% for NHL (p = 0.03). Only, HBV DNA showed a high significant value among infiltrated bone marrow cases (p=0.003) and finally, a high significant association of 2 combined viral infections with infiltrated bone marrow lymphoma cases (p=0.04). Conclusions: Our results showed that infection with HBV, HCV, CMV and EBV were associated with increased risk of lymphoma among the Egyptian population. Detection of new associations between infectious agents and risk of cancer development will facilitate progress in elaboration of prophylactic measures, early diagnostic methods and, hopefully, novel therapy of malignant tumours.
- Abe SK, Inoue M, Sawada N, et al (2015). Hepatitis B and C infection and risk of lymphoid malignancies. Cancer Epidemiol, 39, 562-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2015.06.002
- Baskshi N, Maghfoor I (2012). The current lymphoma Classification: new concepts and practical applications triumphs and woes. Ann Saudi Med, 32, 296-305. https://doi.org/10.5144/0256-4947.2012.296
- Beam E, Lesnick T, Kremers W, et al (2015). Cytomegalovirus disease is associated with higher all-cause mortality after lung transplantation despite extended antiviral prophylaxis. Clin Transplant.
- Campo E, Swerdlow SH, Harris NL, et al (2011). The 2008 WHO Classification of lymphoid neoplasm and beyond. Blood J, 117, 5019-32. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2011-01-293050
- Chakraborty R, Mukkamalla SK, Gutzmore G, et al (2015). A case of Hodgkin's lymphoma with severely impaired liver functions treated successfully with gemcitabine followed by ABVD. J Blood Med, 6, 93-97.
- Chang C, Middeldrop J, Yu KJ, et al (2013). Characterization of ELISA detection of broad-spectrum anti-EBV antibodies associated with nasopharyngeal carcinoma. J Med Virol, 85, 524-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/jmv.23498
- Christenson ES, Teply B, Agrawal V, et al (2015). Human Herpesvirus 8-Related Primary Effusion Lymphoma after Liver Transplantation. Am J Transplant, 15, 2762-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/ajt.13321
- Coghill AE, Hildesheim A (2014). EBV antibodies and the risk of associated malignancies. Am J Epidemiol, 180, 687-95. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwu176
- Corti M, de Dios Soler M, Bare P, et al (2010). AIDS related lymphomas: Histopathological subtypes and association with Epstein Barr virus and Human Herpes virus type -8. Medicina (B Aires), 70, 151-8.
- D'Antonio A, Addesso M, Memoli D, et al (2011). Lymph node-based disease and HHV-8/KSHV infection in HIV seronegative patients: report of three new cases of a heterogeneous group of diseases. Int J Hematol, 93, 795-801. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12185-011-0849-0
- Dai C, Hidemi I, Tomohiro M, et al (2014). Differences in incidence and trends of haematological malignancies in Japan and the United States. Br J Haematol, 164, 536-45. https://doi.org/10.1111/bjh.12659
- De Martel C, Ferlay J, Franceschi S, et al (2012). Global burden of cancers attributable to infections in 2008: a review and synthetic analysis. Lancet Oncol, 13, 607-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(12)70137-7
- Fisher SG, Fisher RI (2004). The epidemiology of Non- Hodgikin’s lymphoma. Oncogene, 23, 6524-34. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1207843
- Ganem D (2010). KSHV and the pathogenesis of Kaposi sarcoma: listening to human biology and medicine. J Clin Invest, 120, 939-49. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI40567
- Grinde B (2013). Herpes viruses: latency and reactivation - viral strategies and host response, J Oral Microbiol, 5.
- Han Van KJ (2015). New developments in the pathology of malignant lymphoma. J Hematop, 8, 225-34. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12308-015-0262-3
- Irsai G, Tampu-Kiss T, Dezső B, et al (2012). Complications of systemic cytomegalovirus infection in therapy-resistant Hodgkin's lymphoma. Orv Hetil, 153, 751-5. https://doi.org/10.1556/OH.2012.29364
- Jaffe ES, Harris NL, Stein H, et al (2001). World Health Organization Classification of Tumors. Pathology and Genetics of Tumors of Haemopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues (eds.). Lyon, IARC Press, 75-107.
- Jaffe ES, Harris NL, Stein H, et al (2008). Classification of lymphoid neoplasms: the microscope as a tool for disease discovery. Blood, 112, 4384-99. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2008-07-077982
- Kate RS, James OA, Barry WH, et al (2012). Non - Hodgkin lymphoma. Lancet, 380, 848-857. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(12)60605-9
- Kathy KL, Rory NG, Christopher L, et al (2014). Deranged liver function tests in a patient with Hodgkin lymphoma. J Clin Virol, 62, 118-21.
- Kutikhin AG, Yuzhalin AE, Brusina EB, et al (2012). Role of infectious agents in the emergence of malignant tumors. Zh Mikrobiol Epidemiol Immunolobiol, 5, 104-14.
- Lindsay MM, Todd MG, Christina AC, et al (2014). Hepatitis B and C virus infection and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma among solid organ transplant recepient. Haematologica, 99, 70-3.
- Mahmoud YA, Mumtaz GR, Riome S, et al (2013). The epidemiology of hepatitis C virus in Egypt. BMC Infect Diseases, 13, 288. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2334-13-288
- Marchesi F, Pimpinelli F, Gumenyuk S, et al (2015). CMV reactivation after autologus stem cell transplantation in myeloma and lymphoma patients. World J Transplant, 5, 129-36. https://doi.org/10.5500/wjt.v5.i3.129
- Marianna P, Dimitrios K, Georgios K, et al (2014). Seroprevalence of HHV-6 and HHV-8 among blood donors in Greece. Virol J, 11, 153. https://doi.org/10.1186/1743-422X-11-153
- Mariotti J, Maura F, Spina F, et al (2014). Impact of Cytomegalovirus replication and Cytomegalovirus serostatus on the outcome of patients with B cell lymphoma after allogeneic stem cell transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant, 20, 885-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbmt.2014.02.015
- Mesri EA, Cesarman E, Boshoff C (2010). Kaposi Sarcoma and its associated herpes virus. Nature Rev Cancer, 10, 707-19. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc2888
- Moore PS, Chang Y (2010). Why do viruses cause cancer? Highlights of the first century of human tumor virology. Nature Rev Cancer, 10, 878-89. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc2961
- Mwakigonja AR, Kaaya EE, Mgaya EM (2012). Malignant lymphomas (ML) and HIV Infection in Tanzania. J Exp Clin Cancer Res, 10, 27-9.
- Nakamura H, Tsuta K, Nakagawa T, et al (2015). Human herpes virus 8-unrelated primary effusion lymphoma-like lymphoma in the pericardium: A case with latency type III Epstein-Barr virus infection showing good prognosis without chemotherapy. Pathol Res Pract, 211, 1010-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prp.2015.08.002
- Nath A., Agarwal R., Malhorta P, et al (2010). Prevalence of HBV in NHL. A systemic review and meta-analysis. Intern Med J, 40, 633-41. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1445-5994.2009.02060.x
- Ogawa Y, Watanabe D, Hirota K, et al (2014). Rapid multiorgan failure due to large H-cell lymphomas arising in HHV-8 associated multicentric Castleman's disease in a patient with HIV infection. Intern Med, 53, 2805-9. https://doi.org/10.2169/internalmedicine.53.2212
- Peveling-Oberhag J, Arcaini L, Hansman ML, et al (2013). Hepatitis C associated B cell NHL. Epidemiology, molecular signature and clinical management. J Hepatol, 59, 169-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhep.2013.03.018
- Pinzone MR, Berretta M, Cacopardo B, et al (2015). Epstein-barr virus- and Kaposi sarcoma-associated herpesvirus-related malignancies in the setting of human immunodeficiency virus infection. Semin Oncol, 42, 258-71. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.seminoncol.2014.12.026
- Polizzotto MN, Uldrick TS, Wyvill KM, et al (2015). Clinical features and outcome of patients with symptomatic KSHVassociated inflammation. Clin Infect Dis, 996.
- Qingqing C, Kailin C, Ken HY (2015). Epstein-Barr viruspositive T/NK-cell lymphoproliferative disorders. Experimental Molecular Med, 47, 133. https://doi.org/10.1038/emm.2014.105
- Saadettin K, Ibrahim B, Şükran Ü, et al (2013). Clinical features and prognostic factors of Hodgkin's lymphoma. Balkan Med J, 30, 178-85. https://doi.org/10.5152/balkanmedj.2012.110
- Seyed A, Mohamed RG, Kamran G, et al (2014). Hepatitis-C infection incidence among the Non Hodgkin-B cell Lymphoma patients. Iran J Cancer Prev, 7, 147-51.
- Swerdlow SH, Campo E, Harris NL, et al (2008). WHO Classification of Tumors of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues. (4th eds.) IARC Press, Lyon.
- Thomas B, Florian L, Jerome S, et al (2002). Reliability of lymphoma classification in bone marrow trephines. BrJ Hematol, 118, 470-6. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2141.2002.03605.x
- Tyagi M, Ambiya V, Mathai A, et al (2015). Atypical CMV retinitis in NHL. BMJ, Case Rep.
- Wang Y, Liu X, Chen Y (2015). Adult Systemic EBV Positive T cell Lympho-proliferative disease. A case report. Exp Ther Med, 10, 1025-8. https://doi.org/10.3892/etm.2015.2601
- Yi HZ, Chen JJ, Cen H, et al (2014). Association between infection of Hepatitis B virus and onset risk of B- cell Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Med Oncol, 31, 84. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-014-0084-7
- New developments in the pathology of malignant lymphoma: a review of the literature published from June–August 2016 vol.9, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12308-016-0284-5