- Volume 32 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Estimation of the Concentration of HF in the Atmosphere Using Plant Leaves Exposed to HF in the Site of the HF Spill
불산 누출 사고 시 불산에 노출된 식물잎을 이용한 대기 중 불화수소 농도 추정
- Yim, Bongbeen (Department of Environment Engineering, Daejeon University) ;
- Kim, Sun-Tae (Department of Environment Engineering, Daejeon University)
- Received : 2016.03.22
- Accepted : 2016.04.18
- Published : 2016.06.30
The leaves of three plant species, such as soybean, raspberry, and kudzu, exposed to hydrogen fluoride was collected in an area surrounding an emission source where the release accident occurred. The ultrasonic-assisted extraction and analysis of fluoride by ion chromatography was carried out. The mean concentration of fluoride in the leaves of three plant species exposed to hydrogen fluoride was
Hydrogen fluoride;Airborne fluoride;Release accident;Plant leaves;Passive monitoring
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) (2003) Toxicological Profile for Fluorides, Hydrogen Fluoride and Fluorines, Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry Press, Atlanta, 190.
- American Chemical Society (ACS) Committee on Environment Improvement (1980) Guidelines for data acquisition and data quality evaluation in environmental chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, 52, 2242-2249. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac50064a004
- Brougham, K.M., S.R. Roberts, A.W. Davison, and G.R. Port (2013) The impact of aluminium smelter shut-down on the concentration of fluoride in vegetation and soils, Environmental Pollution, 178, 89-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2013.03.007
- Coleman, C., R. Mascarenhas, and P. Rumsby (2005) A review of the toxicity and environmental behaviour of hydrogen fluoride in air, UK Environment Agency, Bristol, 14.
- Franzaring, J., A. Klumpp, and A. Fangmeier (2007) Active biomonitoring of airborne fluoride near an HF producing factory using standardised grass cultures, Atmospheric Environment, 41, 4828-4840. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2007.02.010
- Fred Schurig, W. and P. Sole (1967) Alcoholic extraction of oilseed with the aid of ultrasonics, Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, 44, 585-591. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02901256
- Gu, S., I. Choi, W. Kim, O. Sun, S. Kim, and Y. Lee (2013) Study on the distribution of fluorides in plants and the estimation of ambient concentration of hydrogen fluoride around the area of the accidental release of hydrogen fluoride in Gumi, Journal of Environmental Health Sciences, 39, 346-353. (in Korean with English abstract) https://doi.org/10.5668/JEHS.2013.39.4.346
- Horntvedt, R. (1997) Accumulation of airborne fluorides in forest trees and vegetation, European Journal of Plant Pathology, 27, 73-82. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0329.1997.tb01358.x
- Kim, D., J. Lee, E. Kwon, H.A. Lee, H.O. Yoon, and S. Lee (2015) Potential environmental influences in soil by accidental fluorine (F) leakage using leaching test, Journal of Korean Society Environmental Engineering, 37, 234-239. (in Korean with English abstract) https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2015.37.4.234
- Kim, Y.J., S.H. Park, and K.S. Choi (2013) Acute Ocular Manifestations after an accidental hydrofluoric acid release, Journal of Korean Opthalmology Society, 54, 1663-1668. (in Korean with English abstract) https://doi.org/10.3341/jkos.2013.54.11.1663
- Koblar, A., G. Tavcar, and M. Ponikvar-Svet (2011) Effects of airborne fluoride on soil and vegetation, Journal of Fluorine Chemistry, 132, 755-759. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluchem.2011.05.022
- Koh, D., J. Kim, and K. Choi (2014) Defining area of damage of 2012 hydrofluoric acid spill accident in Gumi, Korea, Journal of Environmental Health Sciences, 40, 27-37. (in Korean with English abstract) https://doi.org/10.5668/JEHS.2014.40.1.27
- Kortekamp, A. and E. Zyprian (1999) Leaf hairs as a basic protective barrier against downy mildew of grape, Journal of Phytopathology, 147, 453-459. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0434.1999.tb03850.x
- Kwon, E., H.A. Lee, D. Kim, J. Lee, S. Lee, and H.O. Yoon (2015) Geochemical investigation of fluoride migration in the soil affected by an accidental hydrofluoric acid leakage, Journal of Soil Groundwater Environment, 20, 65-73. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Mezghani, I., N. Elloumi, F.B. Abdallah, M. Chaieb, and M. Boukhris (2005) Fluoride accumulation by vegetation in the vicinity of a phosphate fertilizer plant in Tunisia, Fluoride, 38, 69-75.
- Ministry of Employment and Labor (MOEL) (2012) Exposure standard of chemicals and physical parameters, Notification of the Ministry of Employment and Labor, 39-42.
- National Academy of Sciences (NAS) (1971) Biologic Effects of Air Pollutants: Fluorides. National Academy of Sciences, Washington, D.C., 295.
- Notcutt, G. and F. Davies (2001) Environmental accumulation of airborne fluorides in Romania, Environmental Geochemistry and Health, 23, 43-51. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1011062115049
- Ovadia, M.E. and D.M. Skauen (1965) Effect of ultrasonic waves on the extraction of alkaloids, Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 54, 1013-1016. https://doi.org/10.1002/jps.2600540713
- Paris, H.S., J. Janick, and M.C. Daunay (2011) Medieval herbal iconography and lexicography of Cucumis (cucumber and melon, Cucurbitaceae) in the Occident, Annals of Botany, 108, 1300-1458.
- Real, C., J.R. Aboal, J.A. Fernandez, and A. Carballeira (2003) The use of native mosses to monitor fluorine levels - and associated temporal variations - in the vicinity of an aluminium smelter, Atmospheric Environment, 37, 3091-3102. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(03)00294-2
- Rey-Asensio, A. and A. Carballeira (2007) Lolium perenne as a biomonitor of atmospheric levels of fluoride, Environmental International, 33, 583-588. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2006.10.004
- Saini, P., S. Khan, M. Baunthiyal, and V. Sharma (2013) Mapping of fluoride endemic area and assessment of F-1 accumulation in soil and vegetation, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 185, 2001-2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-012-2683-0
- Stern, A.C. (1977) Air pollution, 3rd, Vol II, The effects of air pollution, Academic Press, New York, 205-207.
- Suslick, K.S., D.A. Hammerton, and R.E. Cline (1986) Sonochemical hot spot, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 108, 5641-5642. https://doi.org/10.1021/ja00278a055
- Suslick, K.S. (1990) Sonochemistry, Science, 247, 1439-1445. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.247.4949.1439
- Tanaka, K., H.-C. Yu, and Y.S. Kim (1997) Cultivation of Perilla, Perilla, CRC Press, Boca Raton, 9-17.
- Thompson, D. and D.G. Sutherland (1955) Ultrasonic insonation effect on liquid-solid extraction, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 47, 1167-1169. https://doi.org/10.1021/ie50546a022
- Thompson, S.J., T.B. McMullen, and G.B. Morqan (1971) Fluoride concentration in the ambient air, Journal of the Air Pollution Control Association, 21, 484-487. https://doi.org/10.1080/00022470.1971.10469558
- Vike, E. (1999) Air-pollutant dispersal patterns and vegetation damage in the vicinity of three aluminium smelters in Norway, Science of the Total Environment, 236, 75-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-9697(99)00268-5
- Vike, E. (2005) Uptake, deposition and wash off of fluoride and aluminium in plant foliage in the vicinity of an aluminium smelter in Norway, Water Air Soil Pollution, 160, 145-159. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11270-005-3862-1
- Vinatoru, M. (2001) An overview of the ultrasonically assisted extraction of bioactive principles from herbs, Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, 8, 303-313. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1350-4177(01)00071-2
- Weinstein, L.H., A.W. Davison, and U. Arndt (1998) Fluoride, in Recognition of Air Pollution Injury to Vegetation: A Pictorial Atlas. Edited by R.B. Flagler, Air and Waste Management Association, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Weinstein, L.H. and A.W. Davison (2004) Fluorides in Environment: Effects on Plants and Animals, CABI Publishing, Wallingford, Oxon.
- Yim, B., Y. Nagata, and Y. Maeda (2002) Sonolytic Degradation of Phthalic Acid Esters in Aqueous Solutions. Acceleration of Hydrolysis by Sonochemical Action, Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 106, 104-107. https://doi.org/10.1021/jp011896c
- Adverse Effects on Crops and Soils Following an Accidental Release of Hydrogen Fluoride and Hydrofluoric Acid vol.49, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2016.49.6.651