- Volume 14 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Impact of Unit-level Nurse Practice Environment on Nurse Turnover Intention
간호단위별 간호근무환경이 간호사의 이직의도에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Youngjin (College of Nursing, Korea University) ;
- Seomun, GyeongAe (College of Nursing, Korea University)
- Received : 2016.04.29
- Accepted : 2016.06.20
- Published : 2016.06.28
The purpose of this study was to conduct the impact of unit-level nurse practice environment on turnover intention among nurses in a tertiary hospital. A cross-sectional study was carried out using questionnaires with 267 nurses in 24 nursing units of hospital in Seoul. Data were collected in November 2013 and were analyzed using SPSS/WIN 23.0. The results of the study indicate that nurse turnover intention is associated with the nurse practice environment at the unit level. In addition, the model including age, unit-level nurse practice environment explained 23.0% of the variance for nurse turnover intention. Hospital can improve nurse retention and lower turnover intention by changing the nurse practice environment of unit, such as nurse participation in hospital affairs, improvement of the nurse manager leadership and nurse-physician collaborative relationships.
- H.-I. Park, K. Lee. "The effects of Social Intelligence and Burnout on Turnover Intention in Nurses : An exploratory study". Journal of Digital Convergence. Vol. 14, No. 4, pp.325-336, 2016.
- B.-M. Bang, S. Y. Lee, J. O. Cheong. "Empirical study on the turn-over intention of university hospital nurses". Journal of Digital Convergence. Vol. 13, No. 2, pp.205-213, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.2.205
- H.-J. Kim, D. Park. "The effects of workplace bullying on turnover intention in hospital nurses". Journal of Digital Convergence. Vol. 14, No. 1, pp.241-252, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.1.241
- C. M. Duffield, M. A. Roche, C. Homer, J. Buchan, S. Dimitrelis. "A comparative review of nurse turnover rates and costs across countries". J Adv Nurs. Vol. 70, No. 12, pp.2703-2712, 2014. Epub 2014/07/24. doi: 10.1111/jan.12483 https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.12483
- A. Kutney-Lee, A. W. Stimpfel , D. M. Sloane, J. P. Cimiotti, L. W. Quinn, L. H. Aiken, "Changes in patient and nurse outcomes associated with magnet hospital recognition", Medical Care. Vol. 53, No. 6, pp.550-557, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1097/MLR.0000000000000355
- C. R. Friese, R. Xia, A. Ghaferi, J. D. Birkmeyer, M. Banerjee, "Hospitals in 'Magnet' program show better patient outcomes on mortality measures compared to non-'Magnet' hospitals", Health Affairs. Vol. 34, No. 6, pp.986-992, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2014.0793
- E. T. Lake, "Development of the practice environment scale of the nursing work index", Research in Nursing & Health. Vol. 25, No. 3, pp.176-188, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.10032
- S. Wang, Y. Liu, "Impact of professional nursing practice environment and psychological empowerment on nurses' work engagement: test of structural equation modelling", Journal of Nursing Management. Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 287-96. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1111/jonm.12124
- O. Petit Dit Dariel, J. P. Regnaux. "Do Magnet(R)-accredited hospitals show improvements in nurse and patient outcomes compared to non-Magnet hospitals: a systematic review". JBI Database System Rev Implement Rep. Vol. 13, No. 6, pp.168-219, 2015. Epub 2015/10/13. doi: 10.11124/jbisrir-2015-2262 https://doi.org/10.11124/jbisrir-2015-2262
- L. Claudia, B. Luk, M. Trevor, D. Gilles, H. de Jesus Elvio, S. Walter, et al. "Work environment issues and intention-to-leave in Portuguese nurses: a cross-sectional study", Health Policy. Vol. 119, No. 12, pp. 1584-1592. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healthpol.2015.09.006
- R. AbuAlRub, F. El-Jardali, D. Jamal, N. Abu Al-Rub, "Exploring the relationship between work environment, job satisfaction, and intent to stay of jordanian nurses in underserved areas", Applied Nursing Research. Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 19-23. 2016. doi: 10.1016/j.apnr.2015.11.014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2015.11.014
- B. Head, K. Washington, J. Myers, L. Earnshaw, "Job satisfaction, intent to leave, and work improvements as perceived by hospice and palliative nursing assistants (TH330-C)", Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. Vol. 2, No. 45, pp.352-353, 2013.
- M. Flinkman, "Young registered nurses' intent to leave the profession in Finland-a mixed-method study", 2014.
- R. Redknap, D. Twigg, D. Rock, A. Towell, "Nursing practice environment: A strategy for mental health nurse retention?", International journal of mental health nursing. Vol. 24, No. 3, pp.262-271, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1111/inm.12126
- H. Arslan Yurumezoglu, G. Kocaman, "Predictors of nurses' intentions to leave the organisation and the profession in Turkey", Journal of Nursing Management. 2015. doi: 10.1111/jonm.12305. https://doi.org/10.1111/jonm.12305
- K. Liu, L. M. You, S. X. Chen, Y. T. Hao, X. W. Zhu, L. F. Zhang, et al. "The relationship between hospital work environment and nurse outcomes in Guangdong, China: a nurse questionnaire survey", Journal of Clinical Nursing. Vol. 21, No. 9, pp.1476-1485, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2011.03991.x
- C. Ma, D. M. Olds, N. E. Dunton, "Nurse work environment and quality of care by unit types: A cross-sectional study", International Journal of Nursing Studies. Vol. 52, No. 10, pp.1565-1572, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2015.05.011
- E. T. Lake, S. G. Hallowell, A. Kutney-Lee, L. A. Hatfield, M. Del Guidice, B. B. Alan, et al. "Higher quality of care and patient safety associated with better NICU work environments", Journal of Nursing Care Quality. Vol. 31, No. 1, pp.24-32, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1097/NCQ.0000000000000146
- E. Cho, D. L. Chin, S. Kim, O. Hong, "The relationships of nurse staffing level and work environment with patient adverse events", Journal of Nursing Scholarship : an official publication of Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing / Sigma Theta Tau. Vol. 48, No. 1, pp.74-82, 2016. doi: 10.1111/jnu.12183. https://doi.org/10.1111/jnu.12183
- S. Y. Kang, Y. R. Um, S. S. Han, "A professional nursing practice environment and its impact on nurses' task motivation" Taehan Kanho Hakhoe Chi. Vol. 35, No. 2, pp.353-361, 2005.
- M. Y. Han, M. S. Lee, J. Y. Bae, Y. S. Kim, "Effects of nursing practice environment, compassion fatigue and compassion satisfaction on burnout in clinical nurses", Journal of Korean Academy Nursing. Vol. 21, No. 2, pp.193-202. 2015 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.2.193
- E. Cho, M. Choi, E-Y. Kim, I. Y. Yoo, N. J. Lee, "Construct validity and reliability of the Korean version of the practice environment scale of nursing work index for Korean nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. Vol. 41, No. 3, pp.325-332, 2011. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.3.325
- J. O. Kwon, E-Y. Kim, "Impact of unit-level nurse practice environment on nurse turnover intention in the small and medium sized hospitals", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. Vol. 18, No. 4, pp.414-423, 2012. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.4.414
- L. H. Aiken, D. M. Sloane, S. Clarke, L. Poghosyan, E. Cho, L. You, et al., "Importance of work environments on hospital outcomes in nine countries", International Journal of the International Society for Quality in Health Care. Vol. 23, No. 4, pp.357-364, 2011.
- E. Cho, D. M. Sloane, E-Y. Kim, Kim S, Choi M, Yoo IY, et al. "Effects of nurse staffing, work environments, and education on patient mortality: An observational study", International Journal of Nursing Studies. Vol. 52, No. 2, pp.535-542, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2014.08.006
- L. H. Aiken, S. P. Clarke, D. M. Sloane, E. T. Lake, T. Cheney, "Effects of hospital care environment on patient mortality and nurse outcomes", The Journal of Nursing Administration. Vol. 38, No. 5, pp. 223-229, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NNA.0000312773.42352.d7
- W. H. Mobley, "Employee turnover: Causes, consequences, and control", 1992.
- T. E. Becker, "Foci and bases of commitment: are they distinctions worth making?", Academy of Management Journal. Vol. 35, No. 1, pp. 232-244, 1992. https://doi.org/10.2307/256481
- M-R. Kim, "Influential factors on turnover intention of nurses: The affect of nurse's organizational commitment and career commitment to turnover intention", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 335-344, 2007.
- K. Han, A. M. Trinkoff, A. P. Gurses, "Workrelated factors, job satisfaction and intent to leave the current job among United States nurses", Journal of Clinical Nursing. Vol. 24, No. 21-22, pp. 3224-3232, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.12987
- S. H. Kim, M-A. Lee, "Effects of emotional labor and communication competence on turnover intention in nurses", Journal of Korean Academy Nursing Administration. Vol. 20, No. 3, pp.333-342, 2014.
- S. J. Moon, S. S. Han, "A predictive model on turnover intention of nurses in Korea", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. Vol. 41, No. 5, pp.633-641, 2011. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.5.633
- H. S. Seok, "Factors affecting organizational commitment and turnover tntention of hospital nurses: Focused on the mediating effects of person-environment fit", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. Vol. 19, No. 3, pp.361-371, 2013. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.3.361
- N. E. Warshawsky, D. S. Havens, "Nurse manager job satisfaction and intent to leave", Nursing economics$. Vol. 32, No. 1, pp.32-39. 2014.
- Influence of Nurses' Work Environment, Organizational Commitment, and Nursing Professionalism on Turnover Intention of Nurses in Long Term Care Hospitals vol.24, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2018.24.4.265