- Volume 11 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Advanced Indoor Zone Detection with Bluetooth and Ultrasound of Smartphone
스마트폰의 블루투스와 초음파를 이용한 향상된 실내 영역 결정
- Kwon, Jin-Se (Chungnam National University) ;
- Lee, Je-Min (Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Hyung-Shin (Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2016.01.31
- Accepted : 2016.03.10
- Published : 2016.06.30
Indoor zone-based services have continuously become popular by increased prevalence of smartphones. Bluetooth and ultrasound can be used for zone detection. However, bluetooth does not guarantee precise zone detection if the signal degrades due to the obstacles. Ultrasound can be easily forged by recording sound on the smartphone. For that reason, zone detection based on ultrasound has a security hole. To remedy each limitation, we propose an advanced zone detection method, that combines bluetooth and ultrasound. An authentication server issues a one-time password to the user over bluetooth. The user generates an ultrasound signal that encodes the password. In this manner, the proposed method ensures secure and accurate zone detection.
Indoor zone detection;Zone-based authentication;Ultrasound and bluetooth beacon
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- R. Friedman, A. Kogan, Y. Krivolapov, "On Power and Throughput Tradeoffs of Wifi and Bluetooth in Smartphones," IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, Vol. 12, No. 7, pp. 1363-1376, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMC.2012.117
- D.J. Na, K.H. Choi, "Step Trajectory/Indoor Map Feature-based Smartphone Indoor Positioning System without Using Wi-Fi Signals," IEMEK J. Embed. Sys. Appl., Vol. 9, No. 6, pp. 323-334, 2014 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.14372/IEMEK.2014.9.6.323
- N. B. Priyantha, A. Chakraborty, H. Balakrishnan, "The Cricket location-support system," Proceeding of the annual International Conference on Mobile computing and networking, pp.32-43, 2000.
- P. Lazik, A. Rowe, "Indoor pseudo-ranging of mobile devices using ultrasonic chirps," Proceeding of the ACM Conference on Embedded Network Sensor Systems, pp. 99-112, 2012.
- P. Lazik, N. Rajagopal, B. Sinopoli, A. Rowe, "Ultrasonic time synchronization and ranging on smartphones," Real-Time and Embedded Technology and Applications Symposium, pp. 108-118, 2015.
- T.W. Hnat, E. Griffiths, R. Dawson, K. Whitehouse, "Doorjamb: unobtrusive room-level tracking of people in homes using doorway sensors," Proceeding of the ACM Conference on Embedded Network Sensor Systems, pp. 309-322, 2012.
- J.S. Kwon, J.M. Lee, H.S. Kim, "Indoor Zone Detection with Bluetooth and Ultrasound of Smartphone," Proceedings of Institute of Embedded Engineering of Korea, pp. 40-43, 2015 (in Korean).
- A. Farina, "Simultaneous Measurement of Impulse Response and Distortion with a Swept-Sine Technique," Proceeding of Audio Engineering Society Conventions and Conferences, 2000.
- H.W. Lee, T.H. Kim, J.W. Choi, S.H. Choi, "Chirp Signal-Based Aerial Acoustic Communication for Smart Devices," Proceeding of IEEE Conference on Computer Communications, pp. 2407-2415, 2015.