- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Centrifuge Test for Earthquake Response of Structures with Basements
지하층이 있는 구조물의 지진응답을 위한 원심모형실험
- Received : 2016.03.24
- Accepted : 2016.04.08
- Published : 2016.07.01
To investigate earthquake responses of structures with basements affected by soil deposits, centrifuge tests were performed using an in-flight earthquake simulator. The test specimen was composed of a single-degree-of-freedom structure model, a basement and sub-soil deposits in a centrifuge container. The test parameters were the dynamic period of the structure model, boundary conditions of the basement, existence of soil deposits, centrifugal acceleration level, and type and level of input earthquake accelerations. When soil deposits did not exist, the earthquake responses of the structures with fixed basement were significantly greater than those of the structure without basement. Also, the earthquake responses of the structures with the fixed basement surrounded by soil deposits were amplified, but the amplifications were smaller than those of the structures without basement. The earthquake responses of the structures with the half-embedded basement in the soil deposits were greater than those estimated by the fixed base model using the measured free-field ground motion. The test showed that the basement and the soil deposit should be simultaneously considered in the numerical analysis model, and the stiffness of the half-embedded was not effective.
Soil-structure interaction;Seismic design;Basement;Centrifuge test
- American Society of Civil Engineers. Seismic analysis of safety-related nuclear structures and commentary. ASCE 4-98. c2000.
- FEMA 440. Improvement of Nonlinear static seismic analysis procedures. Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington DC. c2004.
- Elsabee F, Morray JP. Dynamic behavior of embedded foundations, Rpt. No. R77-33, Dept. of Civil Engrg., MIT. c1977.
- Lee DG, Kim HS. Efficient seismic analysis of high-rise buildings considering the basements. Proceedings of NZSEE 2001. c2001.
- AIK, Korea Building Code. Architectural Institute of Korea, Korea. c2009.
- Schofield AN. Cambridge geotechnical centrifuge operations, Geotechnique, 1980; 25:229-267.
- Kim MK, Lee SH, Choo YW, Kim DS. Seismic behaviors of earth-core and concrete-faced rockfill dams by dynamic centrifuge tests. SOIL DYN EARTHQ ENG. 2011;31:1579-1593. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2011.06.010
- Schofield AN, Zeng X. Design and Performance of an Equivalent Shear Beam (ESB) Container for Earthquake Centrifuge Modeling. Technical Report TR245. Cambridge: Department of Engineering. c1992.
- Lee SH, Choo YW, Kim DS. Performance of an equivalent shear beam (ESB) model container for dynamic geotechnical centrifuge tests. SOIL DYN EARTHQ ENG. 2013;44:102-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2012.09.008
- Kim DS, Yoon JK. Development of New Site Classification System for the Regions of Shallow Bedrock in Korea. EESK J. Earthquake Eng. 2006; 10:331-358.
- Lee SH, Sun CK, Yoon JG, Kim DS. Development and verification of a new site classification system and site coefficients for regions of shallow bedrock in Korea. J EARTHQ ENG. 2012; 16(6):795-819. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2012.658491
- Chopra AK. Dynamics of structures. PrenticeHall. c2007.
- Pacitic Earthquake Engineering Research [Internet]. Available from: http://peer.berkeley.edu/smcat/search.html
Supported by : 한국연구재단