- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of SBAR Program on Communication Clarity, Clinical Competence and Self-efficacy for Nurses in Cancer Hospitals
SBAR 프로그램이 암 병동 간호사의 의사소통명확성, 임상수행능력과 자기효능감에 미치는 효과
- Received : 2015.12.07
- Accepted : 2016.05.23
- Published : 2016.06.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to develop Situation, Background, Assessment, Recommendations(SBAR) program and to test the effects of the program on communication clarity, clinical competence, and self-efficacy for clinical nurses in cancer hospitals. Methods: This study applied a nonequivalent control group non-synchronized design. There were 28 participants in the intervention group and 27 in the control group. SBAR program consisted of 4 parts and applied for 6 weeks in the intervention group. Data were analyzed with
SBAR(Situation-Background-Assessment-Recommendation) program;Nurses;Communication;Clinical competence;Self efficacy
- Beckett, C. D., & Kipnis, G. (2009). Collaborative communication: Integrating SBAR to improve quality/patient safety outcomes. Journal For Healthcare Quality: Official Publication Of The National Association For Healthcare Quality, 31(5), 19-28. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1945-1474.2009.00043.x
- Charlton, C. R., Dearing, K. S., Berry, J. A., & Johnson, M. J. (2008). Nurse practitioners' communication styles and their impact on patient outcomes: An integrated literature review. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 20(7), 382-388. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7599.2008.00336.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7599.2008.00336.x
- Cheraghi, F., Hassani, P., Yaghmaei, F., & Alavi-Majed, H. (2009). Developing a valid and reliable self-efficacy in clinical performance scale. International Nursing Review, 56(2), 214-221. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2008.00685.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2008.00685.x
- Cho, H. J. (2013). The effect of SBAR program education on a nurse's communication clarify and self expression. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul
- Cho, Y. A., Kim, M. K., Cho, M. S., & Nam, E. Y. (2013). Nurses’ communications with health professionals. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 19(1), 20-32
- Compton, J., Copeland, K., Flanders, S., Cassity, C., Spetman, M., Xiao, Y., & Kennerly, D. (2012). Implementing SBAR across a large multihospital health system. Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety, 38(6), 261-268. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1553-7250(12)38033-1
- De Meester, K., Verspuy, M., Monsieurs, K. G., & Van Bogaert, P. (2013). SBAR improves nurse-physician communication and reduces unexpected death: A pre and post intervention study. Resuscitation, 84(9), 1192-1196. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation. 2013.03.016 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2013.03.016
- Doyle, D., Copeland, H. L., Bush, D., Stein, L., & Thompson, S. (2011). A course for nurses to handle difficult communication situations. A randomized controlled trial of impact on self-efficacy and performance. Patient Education & Counseling, 82(1), 100-109. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2010.02.013 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2010.02.013
- Haig, K. M., Sutton, S., & Whittington, J. (2006). SBAR: A shared mental model for improving communication between clinicians. Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety, 32(3), 167-175. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1553-7250(06)32022-3
- Hsu, L. L., Huang, Y. H., & Hsieh, S. I. (2014). The effects of scenariobased communication training on nurses' communication competence and self-efficacy and myocardial infarction knowledge. Patient Education And Counseling, 95(3), 356-364. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2014.03.010 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2014.03.010
- Kang, M. J., & Lee, H. J. (2006). The effect of assertiveness training on communication related factors and personnel turnover rate among hospital nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 36(5), 681-690. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.5.681
- Bandura, E. (1982). Self-efficacy mechanism in human agency. American Psychology, 37(2), 122-147. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.37.2.122 https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.37.2.122
- Barrett, C., & Myrick, F. (1998). Job satisfaction in preceptorship and its effect on the clinical performance of the preceptee. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 27(2), 364-371. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.1998.00511.x
- Khodadadi, E., Ebrahimi, H., Moghaddasian, S., & Babapour, J. (2013). The effect of communication skills training on quality of care, self-efficacy, job satisfaction and communication skills rate of nurses in hospitals of tabriz, iran. Journal of Caring Sciences, 2(1), 27-37. http://dx.doi.org/10.5681/jcs.2013.004
- Kim, E. M., Yu, M., & Ko, J. W. (2015). Development of nurse's handover standards between hospital units using SBAR. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 21(1), 127-142.
- Lee, A. K. (2013). Comparison of self-efficacy, clinical performance and communication ability of between clinical nurses and oncology nurses. Unpublished master's thesis, Gyeongsang National University, Jinju.
- Lee, A. K., Yeo, J. Y., Jung, S. W., & Byun, S. S. (2013). Relation on communication competence, job-stress and job satisfaction of clinical nurse. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 13 (12), 299-308. http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.12.299
- Lee, H. S., & Kim, J. K. (2010). Relationship among communication competence, communication types, and organizational commitment in hospital nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 16(4), 488-496. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.488
- Lee, S. L. (2013). The effect of knowledge and self-efficacy on hospital nurses nursing performance regarding oxygen therapy. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Marshall, S., Harrison, J., & Flanagan, B. (2009). The teaching of a structured tool improves the clarity and content of interprofessional clinical communication. Quality & Safety in Health Care, 18(2), 137-140. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/qshc.2007.025247 https://doi.org/10.1136/qshc.2007.025247
- Mitchell, E. L., Lee, D. Y., Arora, S., Kwong, K. L., Liem, T. K., Landry, G. L., et al. (2012). SBAR M&M: A feasible, reliable, and valid tool to assess the quality of, surgical morbidity and mortality conference presentations. The American Journal of Surgery, 203(1), 26-31. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2011.07.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2011.07.008
- Novak, K., & Fairchild, R. (2012). Bedside reporting and SBAR: Improving patient communication and satisfaction. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 27(6), 760-762. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2012.09.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2012.09.001
- Park, J. A., & Kim, B. J. (2009). Critical thinking disposition and clinical competence in general hospital nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 39(6), 840-850. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/JKAN.2009.39.6.840 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.6.840
- Park, Y. H. (2010). A study on the communication system model and recognition analysis of president-staffs communication in university. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Wonkwang University, Iksan.
- Renz, S. M., Boltz, M. P., Wagner, L. M., Capezuti, E. A., & Lawrence, T. E. (2013). Examining the feasibility and utility of an SBAR protocol in long-term care. Geriatric Nursing, 34(4), 295-301. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gerinurse.2013.04.010 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gerinurse.2013.04.010
- Schwirian, P. M. (1978). Evaluating the performance of nurses: A multidimensional approach. Nursing Research, 27(6), 347-351.
- Seo, E. A., Park, K. M., & Lee, B. S. (2003). Relations between the types of communication and, job satisfaction and nursing performance in staff nurses. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, 17(2), 317-332.
- Seo, M. J. (2000). Burnout and coping type of oncology nurse. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Sheldon, L. K., Barrett, R., & Ellington, L. (2006). Difficult communication in nursing. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 38(2), 141-147. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2006.00091.x
- Thomas, C. M., Bertram, E., & Johnson, D. (2009). The SBAR communication technique: Teaching nursing students professional communication skills. Nurse Educator, 34(4), 176-180. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/NNE.0b013e3181aaba54 https://doi.org/10.1097/NNE.0b013e3181aaba54