- Volume 33 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Secular trends in height, weight and obesity among Korean children and adolescents in 2006-2015
한국 소아청소년의 10년간(2006-2015년) 신장, 체중, 비만 추이 분석
Kwon, Eunjoo;Nah, Eun-Hee
- Received : 2016.04.29
- Accepted : 2016.06.20
- Published : 2016.06.30
Objectives: This study was performed to investigate secular trends in height, weight, obesity among Korean children and adolescents in 2006-2015. Methods: The study participants were 1,249,698 children and adolescents 6-17 years in age who participated in health examinations for school students supervised by Korean Ministry of Education and conducted by the Korea Association of Health Promotion in 2006-2015. Height and weight were measured unified procedures at each period. Obesity was defined as being 95th percentile of sex-specific body mass index(BMI) for age in the 2007 Korean National Growth Charts or
secular trends;obesity;BMI;height and weight;children and adolescents
- Aytollahi, S. M., Pourahmad, S., & Shayan, Z. (2006). Trend in physical growth among children in southern Iran, 1988-2003. Annals of Human Biology, 33, 510-514. https://doi.org/10.1080/03014460600838704
- Baur, L. A., & O’Connor, J. (2004). Obesity, metabolic syndrome, and cardiovascular disease. Clinics in Dermatology, 22, 338-344. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clindermatol.2004.01.005
- Bellizzi, M. C., & Dietz, W. H. (1999). Workshop on childhood obesity: summary of the discussion. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 70, 173S-175S. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/70.1.173s
- Cali, A. M., & Caprio, S. (2008). Obesity in children and adolescents. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 93, S31-S36. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2008-1363
- Chia, M., Wang, J., Miang, T. S., Jong, J., & Gosian, K. K. (2002). Relationships between Hours of Computer Use, Physical Activity and Physical Fitness among Children and Adolescents. European Journal of Physical Education, 7(2), 136-155. https://doi.org/10.1080/1740898020070206
- de Onis, M., Onyango, A. W., Borghi, E., Siyam, A., Nishida, C., & Siekmann, J. (2007). Development of a WHO growth reference for school-aged children and adolescents. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 85, 660-667. https://doi.org/10.2471/BLT.07.043497
- Eaton, D. K., Kann, L., Kinchen, S., Shanklin, S., Flint, K. H., Hawkins, J.,... Wechsler, H. (2012). Youth risk behavior surveillance-United States 2011. MMWR. Surveillance summaries : Morbidity and mortality weekly report. Surveillance summaries, 61(4), 1-162.
- Falkner, N. H., Neumark-Sztainer, D., Story, M., Jeffery, R. W., Beuhring, T., & Resnick, M. D. (2001). Social, educational, and psychological correlates of weight status in adolescents. Obesity research, 9(1), 32-42. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2001.5
- Flegal, K. M., Wei, R., & Ogden, C. (2002). Weight-for-stature compared with body mass index-for-age growth charts for the United States from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 75, 761-766. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/75.4.761
- Fujii, K., Nho, H., Kim, S., & Hanai, T. (2008). Confirmation regarding secular trend of physical growth in Korean school students by wavelet interpolation method: analysis from secular trend of age at MPV of height and weight. The Journal of Education and Health Science, 54(2), 129-140. https://doi.org/10.1248/jhs.54.129
- Garza, C., & de Onis M. (2004). Rationale for developing a new international growth reference. Food and Nutrition bulletin, 25(1), 5S-14S. https://doi.org/10.1177/15648265040251S102
- Juonala, M., Magnussen, C. G., Berenson, G. S., Venn, A., Burns, T. L., Sabin, M. A.,... Raitakari, O. T. (2011). Childhood adiposity, adult adiposity, and cardiovascular risk factors. the New England Journal of Medicine, 365, 1876-1885. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1010112
- Kang, S., Kim, S., & Lee, J. (2008). Prevalence rates and risk factors of overweight and obesity in children and adolescents: using Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005 Data. Epidemiology and Health, 30(2), 188-197.
- Kang, Y. J., Hong, C. H., & Hong, Y. J. (1997). The prevalence of childhood and adolescent obesity over the last 18 years in Seoul area. The Korean Journal of Nutrition, 30(7), 832-839.
- Kaur, L., Kaur, G., Mala, D., & Gohlan, D. (2009). Association between BMI & eating pattern: study among adolescents. Nursing and Midwifery Research Journal, 5(1), 38-44.
- Kautiainen, S., Rimpela, A., Vikat, A., & Virtanen, S. M. (2002). Secular trends in overweight and obesity among Finnish adolescents in 1977-1999. International Journal of Obesity, 26, 544-552. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0801928
- Kim, G., & Kim, M. (2011). A study on the dietary behavior of high school students: about regularity of meal and number of meal per day. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition, 40(2), 183-195. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.2.183
- Kim, D. U., & Rie, K. C. (1967). Studies on height, sitting height and relative sitting height of Korean primary school children in urban areas. Korean Journal of Pediatrics, 10, 585-598.
- Kim, E. Y., Rho, Y. I., Yang, E. S., Park, S. K., Park, Y. B., Moon, K. Y., & Lee, C. G. (2001). Six year follow-up of childhood obesity. Korean Journal of Pediatrics, 44, 1295-1300.
- Kim, H., & Lee, K. (2015). A comparision of body image and dietary behavior in middle and high school girls in Gyeongbuk area. Korean Journal of Food and Cookery Science, 31(4), 497-504. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2015.31.4.497
- Kim, S., & So, W. (2014). Prevalence and sociodemographic trends of weight misperception in Korean adolescents. BMC Public Health, 14, 452. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-14-452
- Koo, K., Hong, Y., Fujii, K., & Ito, M. (2012). Verification regarding secular trend of physical growth in Korean female youth. The Korean Journal of Growth and Development, 20(3), 141-147.
- Komlos, J., & Lauderdale, B. E. (2007). The mysterious trend in American heights in the 20th century. Annals of Human Biology, 34, 206-215. https://doi.org/10.1080/03014460601116803
- Korean Ministry of Education. (2016). The results of anthropometric measurement, health examination among primary, middle, high school students. Sejong: MOE.
- Korean Ministry of Health & Welfare. (2015). The Results form the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2014.
- Sejong: MOHW. Kuczmarski, R. J., Ogden, C. L., Guo, S. S., Grummer-Strawn, L. M., Flegal, K. M., Mei, Z.,...Johnson, C. L. (2000). CDC growth charts for the United States: methods and development. National Center for Health Statistics. Vital and Health Statistics Series 11, 246, 1-190.
- Lee, D. H., Hong, Y. M., Lee, K. Y., The Committee for Public Health Statistics, & The Committee for Nutrition. (1999). 1998 Korean National Growth Charts. Seoul: The Korean Pediatric Society.
- Leitao, R. B., Rodrigues, L. P., Neves, L., & Carvalho, G. S. (2013). Development of adiposity, obesity and age at menarche: an 8 year follow-up study in Portuguese schoolgirls. The International Journal of Adolescent Medicine and Health, 25, 55-63.
- Lu, R., Zeng, X., Duan, J., Gao, T., Huo, D., Zhou, T.,... Guo, X. (2015). Secular growth trends among children in Beijing (1955-2010). Economics and human biology, 12(21), 210-220.
- Marshall, W. A., & Tanner, J. M. (1968). Growth and physiological development during adolescents. Annual Review of Medicine, 19, 283-300. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.me.19.020168.001435
- Moon, H. R., & Yon, D. J. (1978). Height and wight of children in Korea 1975. Korean Journal of Pediatrics, 21, 183-197.
- Moon, J. S., Lee, S. Y., Nam, C. M., Choi, J., Choe, H., Seo, J. W., ... Lee, C. G. (2008). 2007 Korean national growth charts: review of developmental process and an outlook. Korean Journal of Pediatrics, 51(1), 1-25. https://doi.org/10.3345/kjp.2008.51.1.1
- National Center for Health Statistics. (2012). Health, United States, 2011: with special features on socioeconomic status and health. Washington, D. C.: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Nho, H. N., Kim, C. R., Uhm, J. H., Kim, J. T., Jin, S. M., Seo, J. Y.,... Shon, K. C. (2009). The prevalence of obesity and metabolic abnormalities in Korean pediatric population. Korean Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, 12(2), 207-214.
- Oh, K., Jang, M. J., Lee, N. Y., Moon, J. S., Lee, C. G., Yoo, M. H., & Kim, Y. T. (2008). Prevalence and trends in obesity among Korean children and adolescents in 1997 and 2005. Korean Journal of Pediatrics, 51(9), 950-955. https://doi.org/10.3345/kjp.2008.51.9.950
- Ogden, C. L., Carroll, M. D., Kit, B. K., & Flegal, K. M. (2014). Prevalence of childhood and adult obesity in the United States, 2011-2012. Journal of the American Medical Association, 311(8), 806-814. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2014.732
- Park, S., Park, H., Jeon, S., Jeong, S., Tserendejid, Z., Seo, J.,... Lee, Y. (2012). Awareness and practice of dietary action guide for adolescence among middle and high school students in Korea. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition, 17(2), 133-145. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2012.17.2.133
- Roche, A. F., Sievogel, R. M., Chumlea, W. C., & Webb, P. (1981). Grading body fatness from limited anthropometric data. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 34(12), 2831-2838. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/34.12.2831
- Sawyer, S. M., Afifi, R. A., Bearinger, L. H., Blakemore, S. J., Dick, B., Ezeh, A. C., & Patton, G. C. (2012). Adolescence: a foundation for future health. Lancet, 379, 1630-1640. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(12)60072-5
- Shim, T. S., & Ko, K. W. (1986). Physical growth of chldren in Korea, 1985. Korean Journal of Pediatrics, 29, 233-253.
- Sidik, S. M., & Ahmad, R. (2004). Childhood obesity: contributing factors, consequences and intervention. Malaysian Journal of Nutrition, 10(1), 13-22.
- Soliman, A., De Sanctis, V., & Elalaily, R. (2014). Nutrition and pubertal development. Indian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism, 18(7), 39-47.
- Song, Y., Wang, H., Ma, J., & Wang, Z. (2013). Secular trends of obesity prevalence in urban Chinese children from 1985 to 2010: gender disparity. PLOS ONE, 8(1), e53069. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0053069
- Storey, M. L., Forshee, R. A., Weaver, A. R., & Sansalone, W., R. (2003). Demographic and lifestyle factors associated with body mass index among children and adolescents. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, 54(6), 491-503. https://doi.org/10.1080/09637480310001622350
- Sweeting, H. N. (2008). Gendered dimensions of obesity in childhood and adolescence. Nutrition Journal, 7, 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-2891-7-1
- Tanner, J. M. (1973). Trend towards earlier manache in London, Oslo, Copenhagen, the Netherlands and Hungary. Nature, 243, 95-96. https://doi.org/10.1038/243095a0
- The International Obesity Task Force. (2005). EU platform on diet, physical activity and health. Brussels: IOTF.
- Whincup, P. H., Gilg, J. A., Odoki, K., Taylor, S. J., & Cook, D. G. (2001). Age of menarche in contemporary British teenagers: survey of girls born between 1982 and 1986. British Medical Journal, 332, 1095-1096.
- World Health Organization. (2000). Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic. In: World Health Organization Obesity Technical Report Series 894. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO.
- Wu, Y. (2006). Overweight and obesity in China. British Medical Journal, 333(7564), 362-363. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.333.7564.362
- Zong, X., & Li, H. (2012). Secular trends in prevalence and risk factors of obesity in infants and preschool children in 9 Chinese cities, 1986-2006. PLOS ONE, 7(10), e46942. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0046942