- Volume 66 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Design Development Methods and the Characteristics of Zero Waste Fashion Design
최소폐기물 패션디자인의 디자인 개발방식 및 특성 연구
- Han, Seung Soo (Dept. of Fashion Design, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Suh, Seung Hee (Dept. of Fashion Design, Sungkyunkwan University)
- Received : 2016.02.26
- Accepted : 2016.05.04
- Published : 2016.06.30
The importance of environment has come into focus recently, and this has led to increased attention on zero waste fashion design as a method to minimize waste from the production stage of fashion goods. The purpose of this study was to analyze the development method types and the characteristics of zero waste fashion design in order to study the eco-friendly meanings of zero waste fashion design, as well as its meaning as creative design development methods. Through the case analysis of recent designs, the design types of zero waste fashion design were largely classified into cut and sew, folding, draping, and non-woven types, and they were classified again according to the characteristics of production process. According to the result of analyzing fashion design development methods of zero waste fashion designs based on the process of completing design, they were classified into pattern making, computer programming, draping, assembling of the unit, and non-woven moulding methods, and the aspect of combined use rather than utilization of one method appeared. Formative characteristics of zero waste fashion design included decorative beauty, formative beauty, and transformable beauty and its design characteristics were fortuity and unexpected properties, breaking stereotypes, structural flexibility and futuristic innovation.
- 3dprimeur.nl (n.d.) Retrieved from http://www.3dprimeur.nl/3d-toepassingen/mode/fashion-en-3d-printen/
- Agnautacouture (n.d.) Retrieved from https://agnautacouture.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/6a0105362716cd970c0115709e61
- Bae, J. (2008). A study on environmentally friendly fashion design (Unpublished master's thesis). Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- Carlosvillamil (n.d.) Retrieved from http://carlosvillamil.com/zero-waste-fashion
- Carrico, M. & Kim, V. (2014). Expanding Zero waste design practices. International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology & Education, 7(1), 58-64. https://doi.org/10.1080/17543266.2013.837967
- Designrulz (n.d.) Retrieved from http://www.designrulz.com/design/2013/05/the-new-fashion-concept-sprayon-clothing-by-manel-torres/
- Ecosalon (n.d.) Retrieved from http://ecosalon.com/the-marriage-of-patternmaking-and-fashion-design/
- Eluxemagazine (n.d.) Retrieved from http://eluxemagazine.com/fashion/helen-van-rees/
- Fletcher, K. (2011). Sustainable Fashion & Textiles. (Lee, J. & Kim, S. Trans.). Seoul, Republic of Korea: Kyomunsa Publishing Co.
- Ginamoimcintosh (n.d.-a,b) Retrieved from https://ginamoimcintosh.wordpress.com/2014/02/12/red-square-fashion-show-issey-miyake-132-5/
- Gwilt, A. & Rissanen, T. (2011). Shaping Sustainable Fashion. London, England: Earthscan.
- Gwilt, A. (2014). A Practical Guide to Sustainable Fashion. London, England: Bloomsbury.
- Hollymcquillan (n.d.-a) Retrieved from https://hollymcquillan.com/2014/05/08/make-it-zero-waste-kimono-twist-dress/
- Hollymcquillan (n.d.-b) Retrieved from https://hollymcquillan.com/images/#jp-carousel-607
- Hollymcquillan (n.d.-c) Retrieved from https://hollymcquillan.com/images/#jp-carousel-358
- Hollymcquillan (n.d.-d) Retrieved from https://hollymcquillan.com/images/#jp-carousel-146
- Jang, N. (2011). Practical application for ethical pashion design. Korean Society of Basic Design & Art, 12(6), 349-359.
- Julianand (n.d.) Retrieved from http://www.julianand.com/WhatDoYouWant.htm
- Julianrobertsproject (n.d.) Retrieved from http://julianrobertsproject.blogspot.kr/2015/06/holly-mcquillan.html
- Kim S. & Lee J. (2009) The Concept of Sustainable Fashion Design and the Principles. Korean Society of Basic Design & Art, 7(3), 225-237.
- Ko H. (2010). Ethical Fashion Design. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 60(8), 151-167.
- Kook, H. (2014). A Study of Sustainable Zero Waste Fashion Design (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- Kr.pinterest (n.d.) Retrieved from https://kr.pinterest.com/pin/227994799855245519/
- Lee, H. (1992). A large conversion of the economic policy (3rd). Seoul, Republic of Korea: Koreawon.
- McDough, W. & Braungart, M. (2003), Cradle to cradle : Remaking the way we make things. (Kim, E. Trans.). Seoul, Republic of Korea: Ecolivres.
- McQuillan, H. (2011). Zero-waste design practices: Strategies and risk taking for garment design. In Gwilt, A. & Rissanen, T. (Eds.), Shaping sustainable fashion: Changing the way we make and use clothes (pp. 83-97). London, U.K.: Earthscan.
- McQuillan, H., Rissanen, T., & Roberts, J. (2013). The cutting circle: How to make challenging designs. Research Journal of Textile and Apparel, 17(1), 39-49. https://doi.org/10.1108/RJTA-17-01-2013-B004
- Musingsofbuffyleigh (n.d.) Retrieved from http://musingsofbuffyleigh.blogspot.kr/2012/01/natsumi-zama.html
- Nam, H. (2010). A study of sustainable fashion design. The Korea Society of Fashion Design, 10(2), 53-68.
- Park, H. (2012). Eco-fashion industry trend and creative fashion design technic for zero-waste. The Journal of fashion business, 16(4), 29-45. https://doi.org/10.12940/jfb.2012.16.4.029
- Rissanen, T. (2013). Zero-waste fashion design: a study at the intersection of cloth, fashion design and pattern cutting (Doctoral dissertation, University of Technology, Sydney, Australia). Retrieved from http://opus.lib.uts.edu.au/research/handle/10453/233
- Roberts, J. (2013). Free cutting [PDF document]. Retrieved from http://www.mediafire.com/view/eabgygf9d0b9ira/free-cutting-Julian-Roberts.pdf.
- Rosenbloom, S. (2010, August 13). Fashion Tries to Zero Waste, The New York Times. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/15/fashion/15waste.html?_r=0
- Shin, H. (2011). Study on sustainability expressed as a megatrend in the fashion Industry (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Hongik University, Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- Stique (n.d.) Retrieved from http://www.stique.com/cuttingedge.html#
- Study-ny (n.d.) Retrieved from http://study-ny.com/collections/
- Syn H. (2010). A Study on a Framework to Achieve the Sustainability of Apparel Brands. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 60(9), 136-149.
- Timorissanen (n.d.) Retrieved from https://timorissanen.com/2009/09/13/the-hoodie-an-attempt-to-explain/
- Townsend, K. & Mills, F. (2013). Mastering zero: how the pursuit of less waste leads to more creative pattern cutting. International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology & Education, 6(2), 104-111. https://doi.org/10.1080/17543266.2013.793746
- Treehugger (n.d.) Retrieved from http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-fashion/10-awesome-innovations-changing-future-fashion.html
- Xur.info (n.d.) Retrieved from http://www.xur.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7&Itemid=110
- Yeohlee (n.d.) Retrieved from http://web.yeohlee.com/archive/indexfall2009.html