- Volume 25 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Analysis and Application of Water Footprint to Improve Water Resource Management System - With a Focus on Seoul City -
서울시 물환경관리체계 개선을 위한 물발자국 도입 및 활용방안에 관한 연구 - 서울시 자치구 물환경관리 정책 및 제도, 관리체계 분석을 중심으로 -
- Received : 2016.04.18
- Accepted : 2016.06.09
- Published : 2016.06.30
Water Footprint is utilized to analyze direct and indirect water consumption for sustainable water resource management. This study aims to understand potential applicability of water footprint concept by analyzing the status of water consumption and related water policies in Seoul. We analyzed a direct gray water footprint and the blue water footprint in Seoul affected by the social and economic characteristics of the consumers in the city. In particular, in order to analyze the blue water footprint represented by both surface and underground water for the provision and consumption of products, we calculated the actual water consumptions of surface and underground water for 25 districts in Seoul. Our analysis in consideration of population and households indicates that Jung-gu has the highest blue water footprint followed by Jongro-gu, Gangnam-gu, Yongsan-gu, and Seocho-gu. Gray water footprint was calculated by estimating the amount of water for purifying wastewater to meet the water quality standard (above BOD 3.5ppm) for each district. As a result, Jung-gu has the highest gray water footprint, followed by Jongro-gu, Gangnam-gu, Yongsan-gu, Seocho-gu, and Youngdeungpo-gu. Our study suggests the potential value of using water footprint concept to complement the current limitations of water use management focusing on water supply control. We expect that our analysis will provide an important basis for considering water use management which is economically and socially more resilient and sustainable.
Supported by : 서울특별시의회
- Aldaya MM, Garrido A, Llamas MR, Varela C, Novo P, Rodriguez R. 2008. The water footprint of Spain. J Sustainable Water Management. 3: 15-20.
- Allan JA. 1998. Virtual water: A strategic resource. Global solutions to regional deficits, Ground Water. 36(4): 545-546. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6584.1998.tb02825.x
- Chapagain AK, Hoekstra AY. 2004. Water Footprint of Nations(Volume 1: Main Report), UNESCO-IHE, Value of Water Research Report Series. 16.
- Green S, Deurer M. 2010. Green, blue and waters: Minimizing the footprint using soil physics, 19th World Congress of Soil Science, Soil Solutions for a Changing World.
- Hoekstra AY. 2014. Water scarcity challenges to business,www.nature.com/natureclimatechange. Macmillan Publisher.
- Hoekstra AY, Hung PQ. 2003. Virtual water trade: A quantification of virtual water flows between nations in relation to international crop trade, Virtual water trade: Proceedings of the International Expert Meeting on Virtual Water Trade.
- Hong IP, Kim CS, Lee JE, Han MS, Moon JW, Kweon JW, Lee SH, Ahn JH, Lim JB. 2009. Prospect of International Virtual Water Trade and Water Resource Policies. Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport. [Korean Literature]
- Hong IP, Park DH. 2011. Global Movement to Secure Water Resources and Korea's Strategies, International Hydrological Decade (IHP) 7TH Step, the Fourth Year.
- Kim I. 2012. International Trend of Water Footprint as an Indicator of Sustainable Water Resource Management. Korea Environmental Industry & Technology Institute. [Korean Literature]
- Kim YR. 2010. Planning of water demand management for water deficit, Seoul Development Institute. [Korean Literature]
- Korea Institute of Planning & Evaluation for Technology in Food, Agriculture, Forestry & Fisheries. 2011. Research trend regarding agricultural use of salt water in the ear of water deficit. [Korean Literature]
- Lee KY, Song MY. 2013. Strategies to Improve Water Environment Policies and Plans. Gyeonggi Research Institute. [Korean Literature]
- Lee SM. 2010. Study on Application of Water Footprint Policies in Korea - Comparative study with Carbon Footprint Policies. Master's Thesis. Seo Gang University. [Korean Literature]
- Mekonnen MM, Hoekstra AY. 2011. National Water Footprint Accounts: The Green, Blue and Grey Water Footprint of Production and Consumption, UNESCOIHE.
- Ro TH. 2012. Policy Introduction and Application of Water Footprint, Korea Environmental Institute. [Korean Literature]
- Rural Development Administration. 2014. Water footprint of European Union in terms of food consumption habit, World Focus. 45. [Korean Literature]
- Vanham D, Bidoglio GA. 2013. Review on the Indicator Water Footprint for the EU28, Ecological Indicators. 26: 61-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2012.10.021
- Yu HH. 2010. Policy trend on efficiency improvement of the use of water resource in European Union. Konetic Report News Climate Adaptation Section. [Korean Literature]