- Volume 18 Issue 2
High charge state electron cyclotron resonance (ECR) ion source is important on the performance of heavy ion accelerators. In this paper, a low temperature superconductor (LTS) was used to make a hexapole coil for an 18-GHz ECR ion source. Several hexapole structures, including racetrack, graded racetrack, and saddle were implemented and analyzed for the hexapole-in-solenoid ECR ion source system. Under the appropriate radial confinement field, the smaller outer radius of hexapole can be better for the solenoid design. Saddle hexapole was selected by comparing the wire length, maximum outer radius of the hexapole, the Lorentz force at the end part of the hexapole and the maximum magnetic field in the coil. Based on saddle hexapole, a new design for hexapoles, the snake hexapole, was developed in this paper. By comparative analysis of the Lorentz force at the end part of the saddle and snake hexapoles, the snake hexapole is much better in the ECR ion source system. The suggested design for the ECR ion source with the snake hexapole is presented in this paper.
18-GHz ECR ion source;Heavy ion accelerator;Length of LTS wire;Lorentz force;Snake hexapole
- R. Geller, Electron Cyclotron Resonance Ion Sources and ECR Plasma, IOP, Bristol, 1996.
- S. Choi, Y. Kim, I. S. Hong and D. Jeon, "Superconducting Magnet for the RAON electron cyclotron resonance ion source," Review of Scientific Instruments, vol. 85, pp. 02A906, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4825384
- C. M. Lyneis, D. Leitner, D. S. Todd, G. Sabbi, S. Prestemon,S. Caspi and P. Ferracin, "Fourth generation electron cyclotron resonance ion sources," Review of scientific instruments, vol. 79, pp. 02A321, 2008.
- Y. Kim, S. Choi and I. S. Hong, "Design of the plasma chamber and beam extraction system for SC ECRIS of RAON accelerator," Review of scientific instruments, vol. 85, pp. 02A907, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4825385
- William H. Hayt and Jr. John A. Buck, Engineering Electromagnetics, Eighth Edition, International edition, 2012
- S. Wei and S. Lee. "Comparison analysis of superconducting solenoid magnet systems for ECR ion source based on the evolution strategy optimization," Progress in Superconductivity and Cryogenics, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 36-40, 2015.
- A Study on the Sextupole Design with Iron Yoke Inside Solenoids for 56 GHz ECR Ion Sources vol.28, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2017.2777861
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea