- Volume 41 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Performance Test of Anti-scattering X-ray Grid with Inclined Shielding Material by MCNP Code Simulation
- Bae, Jun Woo (Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Hee Reyoung (Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2015.07.17
- Accepted : 2016.06.07
- Published : 2016.06.30
Background: The scattered photons cause reduction of the contrast of radiographic image and it results in the degradation of the quality of the image. In order to acquire better quality image, an anti-scattering x-ray gird should be equipped in radiography system. Materials and Methods: The X-ray anti-scattering grid of the inclined type based on the hybrid concept for that of parallel and focused type was tested by MCNP code. The MCNPX 2.7.0 was used for the simulation based test. The geometry for the test was based on the IEC 60627 which was an international standard for diagnostic X-ray imaging equipment-Characteristics of general purpose and mammographic anti-scatter grids. Results and Discussion: The performance of grids with four inclined shielding material types was compared with that of the parallel type. The grid with completely tapered type the best performance where there were little performance difference according to the degree of inclination. Conclusion: It was shown that the grid of inclined type had better performance than that of parallel one.
Grant : Development of focusing X-ray grid with 250,000 pixels/inch2 by micromachining
Supported by : Ministry of Trade & Energy (MI)
- Tang CM, Stier E, Fischer K, Guckel H. Anti-scattering X-ray grid. Microsyst. Technol. 1998;4:187-192. https://doi.org/10.1007/s005420050128
- Makarova OV, Yang G, Amstutz TP, Tang CM. Fabrication of antiscatter grids and collimators for X-ray and gamma-ray imaging by lithography and electroforming. Microsyst. Technol. 2002;14:1613-1619.
- Makarova OV, Mancini DC, Moldovan N, Divan R, Tang CM, Ryding DG, Lee RH. Microfabrication of freestanding metal structures using graphite substrate Sens. Actuator A-Phys. 2003; 103:182-186. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-4247(02)00333-3
- Makarova OV, Zyryanov VN, Divan R, Mancini DC, Tang CM. Fabrication of grids and collimators using SU-8 as a mold. Microsyst. Technol. 2004; 10:536-539. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00542-004-0388-1
- Makarova OV, Tang CM, Mancini DC, Moldovan N, Divan R, Ryding DG, Lee RH. Development of a freestanding copper antiscatter grid using deep X-ray lithography. Microsyst. Technol. 2003;9:395-398. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00542-002-0256-9
- Rezentes PS, Almeida A, Barnes GT. Mammography grid performance. Radiology. 1999;210:227-232. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.210.1.r99dc35227
- Los Alamos National Laboratory. MCNP - a general monte Carlo N-Particle Transport Code version 5 Volume II: User's Guide. 2008:3.1-3.164.
- International Electrotechnical Commission. Diagnostic X-ray imaging equipment-Characteristics of general purpose and mammographic anti-scatter grids. 2001:1-13.