- Volume 41 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Preliminary Research of CZT Based PET System Development in KAERI
- Jo, Woo Jin (Advanced Radiation Detection Instrument & Sensor Lab., Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Jeong, Manhee (Advanced Radiation Detection Instrument & Sensor Lab., Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Han Soo (Advanced Radiation Detection Instrument & Sensor Lab., Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Sang Yeol (Notice Co., Ltd.) ;
- Ha, Jang Ho (Advanced Radiation Detection Instrument & Sensor Lab., Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute)
- Received : 2015.07.17
- Accepted : 2016.06.07
- Published : 2016.06.30
Background: For positron emission tomography (PET) application, cadmium zinc telluride (CZT) has been investigated by several institutes to replace detectors from a conventional system using photomultipliers or Silicon-photomultipliers (SiPMs). The spatial and energy resolution in using CZT can be superior to current scintillator-based state-of-the-art PET detectors. CZT has been under development for several years at the Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute (KAERI) to provide a high performance gamma ray detection, which needs a single crystallinity, a good uniformity, a high stopping power, and a wide band gap. Materials and Methods: Before applying our own grown CZT detectors in the prototype PET system, we investigated preliminary research with a developed discrete type data acquisition (DAQ) system for coincident events at 128 anode pixels and two common cathodes of two CZT detectors from Redlen. Each detector has a
Supported by : Ministry of Science, ICT & Future Planning (MSIP) of South Korea, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute
- Vandenberghe S, Marsden P. PET-MRI: a review of challenges and solutions in the development of integrated multimodality imaging. Phys. Med. Biol. 2015;60(4):R115-R154. https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/60/4/R115
- Zhang F, He Z, Xu D, Meng LJ. Feasibility study of using two 3-D position sensitive CZT detectors for small animal PET. IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. Conf. Rec. USA. Oct 23-29, 2005.
- Upp DL, Keyser RM, Twomey TR. New cooling methods for HPGe detectors and associated electronics. Jour. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem. 2005; 264:567-575.
- James RB, Schlesinger TE, Lund JC, Schieber M. Semiconductors for room temperature nuclear detector applications. Vol. 43, San Diego CA. Academic Press Inc. 1995;335-381.
- Knoll GF, Radiation Detection and Measurement. 4th Ed. New York NY. Wiley. 2010;365-414.
- Green MV, Ostrow HG, Seidel J, Pomper MG, Experimental evaluation of depth-of-interaction correction in a small-animal positron emission tomography scanner. Mol. Im. 2010;9(6):311-318.
- He Z, Knoll GF, Wehe DK, Direct measurement of product of the electron mobility and mean free drift time of CdZnTe semiconductor using position sensitive single polarity charge sensing detectors. J. Appl. Phys. 1995;84(10):5566-5569. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.368601
- Feasibility Study on Development of an Underwater Beta-ray Monitoring Sensor vol.25, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5369/JSST.2016.25.5.333