- Volume 32 Issue 3
Purpose: This study was to determine the optimal composite recipe of rice cookie with 3 concentrations of Spergularia Marina L. Griseb, sugar and grape seed oil, using central composite design (CCD). Methods: The mixing condition of rice cookie was optimized by subjecting it to sensory evaluation and mechanical and physicochemical analysis using response surface methodology (RSM). Results: The results of mechanical and physicochemical analysis showed significant values for lightness, redness, yellowness, hardness, spread factor, loss rate, leavening rate, density, pH, moisture, sweetness and saltiness (p<0.05), and the results of sensory evaluation showed significant values for color, flavor, taste, texture, appearance and overall quality (p<0.05). As a result, the optimal sensory ratio was found to be 6.40 g of Spergularia Marina L. Griseb, 63.49 g of sugar and 106.19 g of grape seed oil. Conclusion: In conclusion, Spergularia Marina L. Griseb is a good source in natural antioxidant aimed at replacing salt, and it is possible to use in cookie or other food products to substitute salt.
Spergularia Marina L. Griseb;rice cookie;sensory evaluation;optimization;response surface methodology (RSM)
- AACC. 1995. Approved AACC methods. 9th ed. American Association of Cereal Chemists. Washington DC, USA. pp 10-52.
- Blois MS. 1958. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 181:1199-1200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Choi HS, Kim KH. 2013. Quality characteristics of cookies prepared with lopuat (Eriobotrya japonica Lindl.) leaf powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42(11):1799-1804. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.11.1799
- Chung MJ, Lee SM, Joo NM. 2014. Optimization of rice cookies prepared with Chinese artichoke (Stachy sieboldii Miq) powder using response surface methodology and quality characteristics. Korean J Food Nutr 27(3):435-446. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2014.27.3.435
- Gong HM. 2015. Physicochemical composition and antioxidant activity of Spergularia marina Griseb and quality characteristics of cookies added with Spergularia marina Griseb. Master's thesis. Chosun University, Gwangju, Korea. pp 28-46.
- Heo BG, Park YJ, Park YS, Im MH, Oh KT, Cho JY. 2009. Distribution status, physicochemical composition, and physiological activity of Spergularia Marina cultivated in the western region in Jeon-Ra-Nam-Do. Korean J Community Living Sci 20(2):181-191.
- Jung BM, Kim DS, Joo NM. 2013. Quality characteristics and optimization of cookies prepared with Opuntia humifusa powder using response surface methodology. Korean J Food Cook Sci 29(1):1-10. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2013.29.1.1
- Jung KJ, Lee SJ. 2011. Optimization of iced cookies prepared with sea mustard (Undaria pinnatifida Suringer) powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40(10):1453-1459. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.10.1453
- Kim MS. 2013. Isolation and structural elucidation of antioxidants from Spergularia marina griseb. Master's thesis. Chonnam National University, Gwangju, Korea. p 2
- Kwon YR, Jung MH, Cho JH, Song YC, Kang HW, Lee WY, Youn KS. 2011. Quality characteristics of rice cookies prepared with different amylose contents. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40(6):832-838. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.6.832
- Larmond E. 1997. Laboratory methods for sensory evaluation of food. Research Branch, Canada Dept. of Agriculture, Ottawa, Canada. pp 7-23.
- Lee HJ, Jeong HS, Joo NM. 2015. The quality characteristics of cookies prepared with Agaricus blazei Murill. Korean J Food Cook Sci 31(2):175-184. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2015.31.2.175
- Lee JA. 2014. Quality characteristics of rice cookies prepared with yacon (Smallanthus Sonchifolius) powder. Korean J Culin Res 20(3):100-112.
- Moon SH, Assefa AD, Ko EY, Park SW. 2015. Comparison of flavonoid contents and antioxidant activity of yuzu (Citrus junos Sieb. ex Tanaka) based on harvest time. Kor J Hort Sci Technol 33(2):283-291.
- Park YI, Lee SM, Joo NM. 2014. Quality characteristics and optimization of rice muffin containing chinese artichoke (Stachys sieboldii MIQ) powder using response surface methodology. J Korean Diet Assoc 20(3):212-226. https://doi.org/10.14373/JKDA.2014.20.3.212
- Shen YX, Jiang DH, Zeng NW. 1993. Method for sensory evaluation of food texture. J Shanghai Fish Univ 2:135-141.
- Shim HK, Noh TH, Choi MY, Lee HJ, Lee DK, Paik CH, Kim HM. 2013. Sclerotinia rot of Spergularia marina caused by Sclerotinia sclerotiorum and environmental condition for disease development. J Agric Life Sci 44(2):46-49.
- Song JH, Lee JH. 2014. The quality and antioxidant properties of cookies containing Codonopsis lanceolata powder. Korean J Food Sci Technol 46(1):51-55. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2014.46.1.51
- Quality Characteristics and Antioxidant Activities of Noodles added with Spergularia marina L. Griseb Powder vol.27, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2016.32.3.279