- Volume 21 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of a Pre-Filter and Electrolysis Systems on the Reuse of Brine in the Chinese Cabbage Salting Process
- Kim, Dong-Ho (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Yoo, Jae Yeol (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Jang, Keum-Il (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2016.02.22
- Accepted : 2016.03.30
- Published : 2016.06.30
In this study, the effects of a pre-filter system and electrolysis system on the safe and efficient reuse of brine in the cabbage salting process were investigated. First, sediment filter-electrolyzed brine (SF-EB) was selected as brine for reuse. Then, we evaluated the quality and microbiological properties of SF-EB and Chinese cabbage salted with SF-EB. The salinity (9.4%) and pH (4.63) of SF-EB were similar to those of control brine (CB). SF-EB turbidity was decreased (from 0.112 to 0.062) and SF-EB residual chlorine (15.86 ppm) was higher than CB residual chlorine (0.31 ppm), and bacteria were not detected. Salinity (2.0%), pH (6.21), residual chlorine (0.39 ppm), chromaticity, hardness, and chewiness of cabbage salted with SF-EB were similar to those of cabbage salted with CB. The total bacterial count in cabbage salted with CB was increased as the number of reuses increased (from 6.55 to 8.30 log CFU/g), whereas bacteria in cabbage salted with SF-EB was decreased (from 6.55 to 5.21 log CFU/g). These results show that SF-EB improved the reusability of brine by removing contaminated materials and by sterilization.
Supported by : Chungbuk National University
- Kim YW, Jung JK, Cho YJ, Lee SJ, Kim SH, Park KY, Kang SA. 2009. Quality changes in brined baechu cabbage using different types of polyethylene film, and salt content during storage. Korean J Food Preserv 16: 605-611.
- Yu DJ, Shin YJ, Kim HJ, Song HJ, Lee JH, Jang SA, Jeon SJ, Hong ST, Kim SJ, Song KB. 2011. Microbial inactivation in kimchi saline water using microwave plasma sterilization system. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 123-127. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.1.123
- Lee KH. 2008. Effect of ozone treatment for sanitation of Chinese cabbage and salted Chinese cabbage. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 90-96. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.1.90
- Jung JY, Seo EY, Jang KI, Kim TJ, Yoon HS, Han NS. 2011. Monitoring of microbial changes in salted cabbage (jeolimbaechu) during recycled brining operation. Food Sci Biotechnol 20: 223-227. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-011-0030-9
- Han GJ, Choi HS, Lee SM, Lee EJ, Park SE, Park KY. 2011. Addition of starters in pasteurized brined baechu cabbage increased kimchi quality and health functionality. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 110-115. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.1.110
- Yoon HY, Kim DM. 2002. Effects of filtration on the characteristics of reused waste brine in kimchi manufacturing. Korean J Food Sci Technol 34: 444-448.
- Moon SH, Choi JH. 1998. A feasibility study on recovery of salt from kimchi processing wastewater by electrodialysis. J of KSEE 20: 811-821.
- Jeong JW, Kim BS, Jung SW, Kim JH, Kwon GH, Park KJ, Park BI. 2007. Salt water circulation system. Korean Patent 100673082.
- Park YJ, Yoo JY, Jang KI. 2010. Storage attribute of Angelica keiskei juice treated with various electrolyzed water. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 1846-1853. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.12.1846
- Han KY, Noh BS. 1996. Characterization of Chinese cabbage during soaking in sodium chloride solution. Korean J Food Sci Technol 28: 707-713.
- Park SS, Sung JM, Jeong JW, Park KJ, Lim JH. 2013. Quality changes of salted Chinese cabbages with electrolyzed water washing and a low storage temperature. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42: 615-620. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.4.615
- Kim MH, Jeong JW, Cho YJ. 2004. Cleaning and storage effect of electrolyzed water manufactured by various electrolytic diaphragm. Korean J Food Preserv 11: 160-169.
- Kim DH, Lim YT, Park YJ, Yeon SJ, Jang KI. 2014. Antioxidant activities and physicochemical properties of tteokbokki rice cakes containing cinnamon powder. Food Sci Biotechnol 23: 425-430. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-014-0058-8
- Kim GH, Kang JK, Park HW. 2000. Quality maintenance of minimally processed Chinese cabbage for kimchi preparation. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 29: 218-223.
- Venkobachar C, Iyengar L, Prabhakara Rao AVS. 1977. Mechanism of disinfection: effect of chlorine on cell membrane functions. Water Res 11: 727-729. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1354(77)90114-2
- Martinez-Huitle CA, Ferro S. 2006. Electrochemical oxidation of organic pollutants for the wastewater treatment: direct and indirect processes. Chem Soc Rev 35: 1324-1340. https://doi.org/10.1039/B517632H
- Shin DW, Hong JS, Oh JA, Ahn YS. 2000. Evaluation of brine recycling on salting of Chinese cabbage for Kimchi preparation. J Fd Hyg Safety 15: 25-29.
- Kim JK, Han JA. 2014. Rechlorination for residual chlorine concentration equalization in distribution system. JKSWW 28: 91-101.
- Wood LA, Shouse PJ. 1972. Standard reference materials: use of standard light-sensitive paper for calibrating carbon arcs used in testing textiles for colorfastness to light. National Bureau of Standards Special Publication 260-41, Washington, DC, USA. p 1-24.
- Lee CH, Hwang IJ, Kim JK. 1988. Macro- and microstructure of Chinese cabbage leaves and their texture measurements. Korean J Food Sci Technol 20: 742-748.
- Kim JM, Kim IS, Yang HC. 1987. Storage of salted Chinese cabbages for kimchi I. Physicochemical and microbial changes during salting of Chinese cabbages. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 16: 75-82.
- Kleinert J, Hartman WE, Krog N, Larmond E, Moskowitz HR, Kapsalis JG. 1976. Rheology and texture in food quality. DeMan JM, Voisey PW, Rasper VF, Stanley DW, eds. AVI Publishing Co., Inc., Westport, CT, USA. p 8-27.
- Yoo JY, Jang KI. 2011. Changes in quality of soybean sprouts washed with electrolyzed water during storage. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 586-592. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.4.586
- Huang YR, Hung YC, Hsu SY, Huang YW, Hwang DF. 2008. Application of electrolyzed water in the food industry. Food Control 19: 329-345. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2007.08.012
- Quality Characteristics of Commercial Kimchi Paste vol.33, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2017.33.1.9