- Volume 21 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Antioxidant Contents and Antioxidant Activities of White and Colored Potatoes (Solanum tuberosum L.)
- Lee, Sang Hoon (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Oh, Seung Hee (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Hwang, In Guk (Department of Agrofood Resources, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Kim, Hyun Young (Department of Frunctional Crop Science, National Institute of Crop Science) ;
- Woo, Koan Sik (Department of Frunctional Crop Science, National Institute of Crop Science) ;
- Woo, Shun Hee (Department of Crop Science, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Kim, Hong Sig (Department of Crop Science, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Lee, Junsoo (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Jeong, Heon Sang (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2016.01.19
- Accepted : 2016.05.30
- Published : 2016.06.30
This study was performed to evaluate and compare the antioxidant substance content and antioxidant activities of white (Superior) and colored (Hongyoung, Jayoung, Jasim, Seohong, and Jaseo) potatoes. The potatoes were extracted with 80% ethanol and were evaluated for the total polyphenol, flavonoid, and anthocyanin contents and for 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH)/2,2'-azino-bis(3-ethylbenzothiazoline-6-sulfonic acid) diammonium salt (ABTS) radical scavenging activity, reducing power, and ferrous metal ion chelating effect. The total polyphenol, flavonoid, and anthocyanin contents of Hongyoung and Jayoung were higher than white and other colored potatoes. All colored potato extracts, except for Jaseo and Seohong, showed higher ABTS radical scavenging activities than the general white potato extract. Hongyoung and Jayoung had the highest ABTS and DPPH radical scavenging activities. Optical density values for the reducing power of Jayoung and Jaseo at concentration of 2 mg/mL were 0.148 and 0.090, respectively. All colored potato extracts had lower ferrous metal ion chelating effect than the white potato. A significant (P<0.05) positive correlation was observed between total polyphenol content and total flavonoid content (r=0.919), anthocyanin content (r=0.992), and ABTS radical scavenging activity (r=0.897). Based on these results, this research may be useful in developing the Hongyoung and Jayoung cultivars with high antioxidant activities.
- Jeon TW, Cho YS, Lee SH, Cho SM, Cho HM, Chang KS, Park HJ. 2005. Studies on the biological activities and physicochemical characteristics of pigments extracted from Korean purple-fleshed potato. Korean J Food Sci Technol 37: 247-254.
- Park YE, Jeong JC, Cho HM, Hwang YS, Lee HJ, Choi SSN, Lee SJ, Park ES, Ko EA, Kim NA, Lim JD, Choung MG. 2008. Antimutagenic effect and cytotoxicity to human cancer cell lines colored potato extracts. Korean J Crop Sci 53: 75-84.
- Rhim JW, Kim SJ. 1999. Characterictics and stability of anthocyanin pigment extracted from purple-fleshed potato. Korean J Food Sci Technol 31: 348-355.
- Brown CR. 2005. Antioxidants in potato. Am J Potato Res 82: 163-172. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02853654
- Song J, Chung MN, Kim JT, Chi HY, Son JR. 2005. Quality characteristics and antioxidative activities in various cultivars of sweet potato. Korean J Crop Sci 50: 141-146.
- Schmidt BM, Howell AB, McEniry B, Knight CT, Seigler D, Erdman JW Jr, Lila MA. 2004. Effective separation of potent antiproliferation and antiadhesion components from wild blueberry (Vaccinium angustifolium Ait.) fruits. J Agric Food Chem 52: 6433-6442. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf049238n
- Seo SJ, Choi Y, Lee SM, Kim KJ, Son JR, Lee J. 2007. Determination of selected antioxidant compounds in specialty rice. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 36: 499-502. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.4.499
- Kwon OC, Woo KS, Kim TM, Kim DJ, Hong JT, Jeong HS. 2006. Physicochemical characteristics of garlic (Allium sativum L.) on the high temperature and pressure treatment. Korean J Food Sci Technol 38: 331-336.
- Kim HY, Woo KS, Hwang IG, Lee YR, Jeong HS. 2008. Effects of heat treatments on the antioxidant activities of fruits and vegetables. Korean J Food Sci Technol 40: 166-170.
- Turker N, Erdogdu F. 2006. Effects of pH and temperature of extraction medium on effective diffusion coefficient of anthocynanin pigments of black carrot (Daucus carota var. L.). J Food Eng 76: 579-583. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2005.06.005
- Nho JW, Hwang IG, Joung EM, Kim HY, Chang SJ, Jeong HS. 2009. Biological activities of Magnolia denudata Desr. flower extracts. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 1478-1484. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.11.1478
- Hwang IG, Woo GS, Kim TM, Kim DJ, Yang MH, Jeong HS. 2006. Change of physicochemical characteristics of Korean pear (Pyrus pyrifolia Nakai) juice with heat treatment conditions. Korean J Food Sci Technol 38: 342-347.
- Mau JL, Lin HC, Song SF. 2002. Antioxidant properties of several specialty mushrooms. Food Res Int 35: 519-526. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-9969(01)00150-8
- Decker EA, Welch B. 1990. Role of ferritin as a lipid oxidation catalyst in muscle food. J Agric Food Chem 38: 674-677. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00093a019
- Cha JY, Cho YS. 2000. Effect of potato polyphenolics on the hyperlipidemia in rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 29: 274-279.
- Al-Saikhan MS, Howard LR, Miller JC Jr. 1995. Antioxidant activity and total phenolics in different genotypes of potato (Solanum tuberosum L.). J Food Sci 60: 341-343. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1995.tb05668.x
- Karadenuz F, Burdurlu HS, Koca N, Soyer Y. 2005. Antioxidant activity of selected fruits and vegetables grown in Turkey. Turk J Agric For 89: 297-303.
- Kaur C, Kapoor HC. 2002. Anti-oxidant activity and total phenolic content of some Asian vegetables. Int J Food Sci Technol 37: 153-161. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2621.2002.00552.x
- Lewis CE, Walker JRL, Lancaster JE, Sutton KH. 1998. Determination of anthocyanins, flavonoids and phenolic acids in potatoes. I: Coloured cultivars of Solanum tuberosum L.. J Sci Food Agric 77: 45-57. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(199805)77:1<45::AID-JSFA1>3.0.CO;2-S
- Howard HW, Kukimura H, Whitmore ET. 1970. The anthocyanin pigments of the tubers and sprouts of Tuberosum potatoes. Potato Res 13: 142-145. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02355924
- Park YE, Cho JH, Cho HM, Yi JY, Seo HW, Chung MG. 2009. A new potato cultivar "Jayoung", with high concentration of anthocyanin. Korean J Breed Sci 41: 51-55.
- Park YE, Cho JH, Cho HM, Yi JY, Seo HW, Chung MG. 2009. A new potato cultivar "Hongyoung", with red skin and flesh color, and high concentrations of anthocyanins. Korean J Breed Sci 41: 502-506.
- Reyes LF, Miller JC, Cisneros-Zevallos L. 2004. Environmental conditions influence the content and yield of anthocyanins and total phenolics in purple- and red-flesh potatoes during tuber development. Am J Potato Res 81: 187-193. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02871748
- Lachman J, Hamouz K, Sulc M, Orsak M, Pivec V, Hejtmankova A, Dvorak P, Cepl J. 2009. Cultivar differences of total anthocyanins and anthocyanidins in red and purple-fleshed potatoes and their relation to antioxidant activity. Food Chem 114: 836-843. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.10.029
- Rumbaoa RGO, Cornago DF, Geronimo IM. 2009. Phenolic content and antioxidant capacity of Philippine potato (Solanum tuberosum) tubers. J Food Compos Anal 22: 546-550. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2008.11.004
- Reyes LF, Miller JC, Cisneros-Zevallos L. 2005. Antioxidant capacity, anthocyanins and total phenolics in purple-and redfleshed potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) genotypes. Am J Potato Res 82: 271-277. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02871956
- Arnao MB, Cano A, Acosta M. 1999. Methods to measure the antioxidant activity in plant material. A comparative discussion. Free Radic Res 31: S89-S96. https://doi.org/10.1080/10715769900301371
- Wang M, Li J, Rangarajan M, Shao Y, LaVoie EJ, Huang TC, Ho CT. 1998. Antioxidative phenolic compounds from sage (Salvia officinalis). J Agric Food Chem 46: 4869-4873. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf980614b
- Photo-fermentation of purple sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas L.) using probiotic bacteria and LED lights to yield functionalized bioactive compounds vol.8, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13205-018-1327-7
- Improving micropropagation of Mentha × piperita L. using a liquid culture system vol.55, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11627-018-09952-4