- Volume 22 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Concept Analysis of Cultural Nursing Competence
문화간호역량 개념 분석
- Jeong, Geum Hee (Division of Nursing, Hallym University) ;
- Park, Hye-Sook (Department of Nursing, Dongyang University) ;
- Kim, Kyung Won (Department of Nursing, Daegu Haany University) ;
- Kim, Young Hee (Department of Nursing, Dongguk University) ;
- Lee, Sun Hee (Department of Nursing Science, Gimcheon University) ;
- Kim, Hyun-Kyoung (Department of Nursing, Doowon Technical University)
- 정금희 (한림대학교 간호학부) ;
- 박혜숙 (동양대학교 간호학과) ;
- 김경원 (대구한의대학교 간호학과) ;
- 김영희 (동국대학교 간호학과) ;
- 이선희 (김천대학교 간호학과) ;
- 김현경 (두원공과대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2016.04.27
- Accepted : 2016.06.15
- Published : 2016.06.20
Purpose: The aim of this study was to conduct a concept analysis of cultural nursing competence. Methods: Cultural nursing competence was analyzed using Rodgers' evolutionary concept development method. A literature search using the keywords "cultural nursing competence", "intercultural nursing competence", "cultural nursing", "cultural health nursing", and "cultural competence" was conducted in PubMed, CINAHL, ERIC, and RISS on material published before 2015. Database and bibliographic searches yielded 35 records. Results: Cultural nursing competence comprised cognitive, affective, and behavioral domains. The critical attributes of the concept were sensitivity, equality, and activity. The analysis identified the following dimensions: awareness, openness, and coherence. The consequences of cultural nursing competence were personal satisfaction and social justice. The definition contained competence on both an individual and social level. Conclusion: Cultural competency enhances quality of care by narrowing health disparities and increasing client satisfaction. The concept analysis of cultural nursing competence may offer an acceptable framework which can be used to develop psychometric tools of this concept and provide guidelines in nursing practice.
- Jeong GH, Nam KA, Kim YS, Park HS, Kim SK. Transcultural nursing. Chuncheon: Xmlarchive; 2012.
- Humes KR, Jones NA, Ramirez RR. Overview of race and Hispanic origin: 2010 Census Briefs. U. S. Department of Commerce Economics and Statistics Administration U. S. Census Bureau. 2010;March:1-23.
- Clark L, Zuk J, Baramee J. A literary approach to teaching cultural competence. Journal of Transcultural Nursing. 2000;11(3):199-203. https://doi.org/10.1177/104365960001100306
- Han SY, Cho Chung HI. Development of a cultural competence scale for nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy Nursing. 2015;45(5):684-693. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.5.684
- Gebru K, William A. Education to promote culturally competent nursing care-a content analysis of student responses. Nurse Education Today. 2010;30(1):54-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2009.06.005
- Zander PK. Cultural competence: Analyzing the construct. The Journal of Theory Construction & Testing. 2007;11(2):50-54.
- Aponte, J. Addressing cultural heterogeneity among hispanic subgroups by using Campinha-Bacote's model of cultural competency. Holistic Nursing Practice. 2009;January:3-12.
- Evans E. An elective course in cultural competence for health care professionals. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 2006;70(3):1-7. https://doi.org/10.5688/aj700101
- Engebretson J, Mahoney J, Carlson ED. Cultural competence in the era of evidence-based practice. Journal of Professional Nursing. 2008;24(3):172-178. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2007.10.012
- Dudas KI. Cultural competence: An evolutionary concept analysis. Nursing Education Research/Cultural Competence. 2012;33(5):317-321.
- Isaacson M. Clarifying concepts: Cultural humility or competency. Journal of Professional Nursing. 2014;30(3): 251-258. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2013.09.011
- Suh E. The model of cultural competence through an evolutionary concept analysis. Journal of Transcultural Nursing. 2004;15(2):93-102. https://doi.org/10.1177/1043659603262488
- Rodgers BL, Knafl KA. Concept development in nursing: Foundations, techniques, and application. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders; 2000.
- STROBE Statement-Items to be included when reporting observational studies [Internet]. Bern, Switzerland: University of Bern; 2009 [Cited 2013 August 12]. Available from: http://www.strobe-statement.org/index.php?id=available-checklists.
- Chenowethm L, Jeon YH, Goff M, Burke C. Cultural competency and nursing care: An Australian perspective. International Nursing Review. 2006;53(1):34-40. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2006.00441.x
- Koprucu S. Raising global citizens: Focus on cultural competency. School Business Affairs. 2009;April:30-32.
- Flowers DH. Culturally competent nursing care: A challenge for the 21st century. Cultural Diversity. 2004;24(4):48-52.
- Epner DE, Baile WF. Patient-centered care: The key to cultural competence. Annals of Oncology. 2012;23(3):33-42. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mds086
- Mohammadi N, Evans D, Jones T. Muslims in Australian hospitals: The clash of cultures. International Journal of Nursing Practice. 2007;13(5):310-315. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-172X.2007.00643.x
- Capell J, Dean E, Veenstra G. The relationship between cultural competence and ethnocentrism of healthcare professionals. Journal of Transcultural Nursing. 2008;19(2):121-125. https://doi.org/10.1177/1043659607312970
- Perng SJ, Watson R. Construct validation of the nurse cultural competence scale: A hierarchy of abilities. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2012;21(11-12):1678-1684. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2011.03933.x
- Gunaratnam Y. Intercultural palliative care: Do we need cultural competence? International Journal of Palliative Nursing. 2007;13(10):470-477. https://doi.org/10.12968/ijpn.2007.13.10.27477
- Wilson DW. Culturally competent psychiatric nursing care. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2010;17(8):715-724. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2850.2010.01586.x
- Rew L. Cultural competence in holistic nursing. Journal of Holistic Nursing. 2000;18(3):203-205. https://doi.org/10.1177/089801010001800301
- Schumacher G. Culture care meanings, beliefs, and practices in rural dominican republic. Journal of Transcultural Nursing. 2010;21(2):93-103. https://doi.org/10.1177/1043659609357635
- Onorat, MG, Bednarz F. Learning to become an intercultural practitioner: The case of lifelong learning intensive programme interdisciplinary course of intercultural competences. US-China Education Review. 2010;7(6):54-62.
- Feser L, Bon Bernard C. Enhancing cultural competence in palliative care: Perspective of an elderly chinese community in Calgary. Journal of Palliative Care. 2003;19(2):133-139.
- Pergert P, AilingerEkblad S, Enskar K, Bjork O. Bridging obstacles to transcultural caring relationships-Tools discovered through interviews with staff in pediatric oncology care. European Journal of Oncology Nursing. 2008;12(1):35-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2007.07.006
- Tofthagen R, Fagerstrom LM. Rodgers' evolutionary concept analysis-a valid method for developing knowledge in nursing science. Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences. 2010;24:21-31. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-6712.2010.00845.x
- Siantz MLL, Meleis AI. Integrating cultural competence into nursing education and practice: 21st century action steps. Journal of Transcultural Nursing. 2007;18(1):86S-90S. https://doi.org/10.1177/1043659606296465