- Volume 6 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A BIM and UWB integrated Mobile Robot Navigation System for Indoor Position Tracking Applications
- Park, JeeWoong (Georgia Institute of Technology) ;
- Cho, Yong K. (Georgia Institute of Technology) ;
- Martinez, Diego (Qualcomm)
- Published : 2016.06.01
This research presents the development of a self-governing mobile robot navigation system for indoor construction applications. This self-governing robot navigation system integrated robot control units, various positioning techniques including a dead-reckoning system, a UWB platform and motion sensors, with a BIM path planner solution. Various algorithms and error correction methods have been tested for all the employed sensors and other components to improve the positioning and navigation capability of the system. The research demonstrated that the path planner utilizing a BIM model as a navigation site map could effectively extract an efficient path for the robot, and could be executed in a real-time application for construction environments. Several navigation strategies with a mobile robot were tested with various combinations of localization sensors including wheel encoders, sonar/infrared/thermal proximity sensors, motion sensors, a digital compass, and UWB. The system successfully demonstrated the ability to plan an efficient path for robot's movement and properly navigate through the planned path to reach the specified destination in a complex indoor construction site. The findings can be adopted to several potential construction or manufacturing applications such as robotic material delivery, inspection, and onsite security.
- Q. Ha, M. Santos, Q. Nguyen, D. Rye, and H. Durrant-Whyte, "Robotic excavation in construction automation," IEEE Robot. Autom. Mag., vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 20-28, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/100.993151
- S. Kang and E. Miranda, "Planning and visualization for automated robotic crane erection processes in construction," Autom. Constr., vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 398-414, Jul. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2005.06.008
- U. C. B. C. E. Branch, "US Census Bureau Construction Spending Survey." .
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, "Industry at a Glance: Construction." .
- K. Kimoto, K. Endo, S. Iwashita, and M. Fujiwara, "The application of PDA as mobile computing system on construction management," Autom. Constr., vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 500-511, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2004.09.003
- Y. S. Kim, S. W. Oh, Y. K. Cho, and J. W. Seo, "A PDA and wireless web-integrated system for quality inspection and defect management of apartment housing projects," Autom. Constr., vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 163-179, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2007.03.006
- J. Park, Y. K. Cho, and K. Kim, "Field Construction Management Application through Mobile BIM and Location Tracking Technology," in ISARC Proceedings, 2016, no. Isarc.
- J. Park, E. Marks, Y. K. Cho, and W. Suryanto, "Performance Test of Wireless Technologies for Personnel and Equipment Proximity Sensing in Work Zones," J. Constr. Eng. Manag., p. 04015049, Jul. 2015.
- J. Park, Y. Cho, and S. Timalsina, "Direction Aware Bluetooth Low Energy Based Proximity Detection System for Construction Work Zone Safety," in ISARC Proceedings, 2016, no. Isarc.
- Y. Fang, Y. K. Cho, S. Zhang, and E. Perez, "Case Study of BIM and Cloud-Enabled Real-Time RFID Indoor Localization for Construction Management Applications," J. Constr. Eng. Manag., pp. 1-12, 2016.
- Y. Fang and Y. Cho, "Advance Crane Lifting Safety through Real-time Crane Motion Monitoring and Visualization," in The 6th International Conference on Construction Engineering and Project Management (ICCEPM), 2015, pp. 321-323.
- T. Bock and K. Kreupl, "Procedure for the implementation of Autonomous Mobile robots on the Construction site," in ISARC Proceedings, 2004, pp. 304-309.
- Y.-S. Jeong, C. M. Eastman, R. Sacks, and I. Kaner, "Benchmark tests for BIM data exchanges of precast concrete," Autom. Constr., vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 469-484, Jul. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2008.11.001
- N. Lu and T. Korman, "Implementation of Building Information Modeling (BIM) in Modular Construction: Benefits and Challenges (ASCE)," in Construction Research Congress, 2010, pp. 1136-1145.
- Y. Hasegawa, "Construction Automation and Robotics in the 21 St Century," Int. Symp. Autom. Robot. Constr., pp. 565-568, 2006.
- S. MacKenzie, A. R. Kilpatrick, and A. Akintoye, "UK construction skills shortage response strategies and an analysis of industry perceptions," Constr. Manag. Econ., vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 853-862, Oct. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1080/014461900433131
- I. M. Srour, C. T. Haas, and D. P. Morton, "Linear Programming Approach to Optimize Strategic Investment in the Construction Workforce," J. Constr. Eng. Manag., Nov. 2006.
- J. Willmann, F. Augugliaro, T. Cadalbert, R. D'Andrea, F. Gramazio, and M. Kohler, "Aerial Robotic Construction Towards a New Field of Architectural Research," Int. J. Archit. Comput., vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 439-460, Sep. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1260/1478-07126.96.36.1999
- Y. K. Cho and J. Youn, "Wireless Sensor-driven Intelligent Navigation Robots for Indoor Construction Site Security and Safety," in 23rd ISARC, 2006, pp. 493-498.
- J. Youn and Y. K. Cho, "Portable ultra-wideband localization and asset tracking for mobile robot applications," in Special Issue, Ultra Wideband, Rijeka, Croatia: Sciyo's publications, 2010, pp. 98-108.
- Y. Cho, C. Wang, M. Gai, and J. W. Park, "Rapid Dynamic Target Surface Modeling for Crane Operation Using Hybrid LADAR System," in Construction Research Congress 2014, 2014, pp. 1053-1062.
- J. Park, K. Kim, and Y. K. Cho, "Using BIM Geometric Properties for BLE-based Indoor Location Tracking," in Seoul International Conference on Applied Science and Engineering, 2016.
- D. Zhang, F. Xia, Z. Yang, L. Yao, and W. Zhao, "Localization technologies for indoor human tracking," 2010 5th Int. Conf. Futur. Inf. Technol. Futur. 2010 - Proc., no. 60903153, 2010.
- T. Fernandes, "Indoor localization using Bluetooth," 6th Dr. Symp. Informatics Eng., pp. 1-10, 2011.
- M. L. Sichitiu and V. Ramadurai, "Localization of Wireless Sensor Networks with a Mobile Beacon," 2004 IEEE Int. Conf. Mob. Ad-hoc Sens. Syst., no. July, pp. 174-183, 2004.
- S. Woo, S. Jeong, E. Mok, L. Xia, C. Choi, M. Pyeon, and J. Heo, "Application of WiFi-based indoor positioning system for labor tracking at construction sites: A case study in Guangzhou MTR," Autom. Constr., vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 3-13, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2010.07.009
- T. Wei and S. Bell, "Indoor localization method comparison: Fingerprinting and Trilateration algorithm," Rose.Geog.Mcgill.Ca, 2006.
- D. Pandya, R. Jain, and E. Lupu, "Indoor location estimation using multiple wireless technologies," 14th IEEE Proc. Pers. Indoor Mob. Radio Commun. 2003. PIMRC 2003., pp. 2208-2212, 2003.
- D. S. Chiu and K. P. O'Keefe, "Seamless outdoor-to-indoor pedestrian navigation using GPS and UWB," in 21st International Technical Meeting of the Satellite Division of the Institute of Navigation, ION GNSS 2008, 2008, vol. 1, no. September, pp. 322-333.
- Y. K. Cho, J. Youn, and N. Pham, "Performance Tests for Wireless Real-Time Localization Systems to Improve Mobile Robot Navigation in Various Indoor Environments," in Robotics and Automation in Construction, C. Balaguer and M. Abderrahim, Eds. InTech, 2008.
- Y. K. Cho, J. H. Youn, and D. Martinez, "Error modeling for an untethered ultra-wideband system for construction indoor asset tracking," Autom. Constr., vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 43-54, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2009.08.001
- K. KUCUK, "Horizontal dilution of precision-based ultra-wideband positioning technique for indoor environments," TURKISH J. Electr. Eng. Comput. Sci., vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 1307-1322, Sep. 2014. https://doi.org/10.3906/elk-1301-20
- J. Park, Y. K. Cho, and C. Ahn, "Wireless Tracking System Integrated with BIM for Indoor Construction Applications," in Proceedings of The 2016 Construction Research Congress (CRC), 2016.
- I. Guvenc, "Enhancements to RSS Based Indoor Tracking Systems Using Kalman Filters," Ieee Pervasive Comput., no. 505, pp. 91-102, 2003.
- A. LaMarca, Y. Chawathe, S. Consolvo, J. Hightower, I. Smith, J. Scott, T. Sohn, J. Howard, J. Hughes, F. Potter, J. Tabert, P. Powledge, G. Borriello, and B. Schilit, "Place Lab: Device Positioning Using Radio Beacons in the Wild," Pervasive Comput., vol. 3468, pp. 116-133, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1007/11428572_8
- M. Kuhn, C. Zhang, and B. Merkl, "High accuracy UWB localization in dense indoor environments," Ultra-Wideband, 2008. ICUWB 2008. IEEE Int. Conf., vol. 2, pp. 129-132, 2008.
- F. Subhan, H. Hasbullah, and K. Ashraf, "Kalman filter-based hybrid indoor position estimation technique in bluetooth networks," Int. J. Navig. Obs., vol. 2013, 2013.
- A. Diosi and L. Kleeman, "Laser scan matching in polar coordinates with application to SLAM," Intell. Robot. Syst. (IROS 2005). 2005 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf., 2005.
- M. Bosse and R. Zlot, "Map matching and data association for large-scale two-dimensional laser scan-based slam," Int. J. Rob. Res., vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 667-691, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1177/0278364908091366
- K. Kim and Y. Cho, "BIM-Based Planning of Temporary Structures for Construction Safety," Comput. Civ. Eng. 2015, 2015.
- A New Localization System for Indoor Service Robots in Low Luminance and Slippery Indoor Environment Using Afocal Optical Flow Sensor Based Sensor Fusion vol.18, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/s18010171
- Development and Evaluation of a Probabilistic Local Search Algorithm for Complex Dynamic Indoor Construction Sites vol.31, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CP.1943-5487.0000658
- Real-Time 3D Crane Workspace Update Using a Hybrid Visualization Approach vol.31, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CP.1943-5487.0000698
- Automated and Optimized Sensor Deployment using Building Models and Electromagnetic Simulation pp.1976-3808, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-018-1150-z
- Energy loss in cement-based material for efficient sensor deployment at a site vol.45, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1139/cjce-2017-0406
- Data-Driven Monitoring System for Preventing the Collapse of Scaffolding Structures vol.144, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CO.1943-7862.0001535