- Volume 5 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Performance of Zoysia spp. and Axonopus compressus Turf on Turf-Paver Complex under Simulated Traffic
- Chin, Siew-Wai (Centre for Urban Greenery & Ecology, National Parks Board) ;
- Ow, Lai-Fern (Centre for Urban Greenery & Ecology, National Parks Board)
- Received : 2016.01.12
- Accepted : 2016.04.07
- Published : 2016.06.30
Vehicular traffic on turf results in loss of green cover due to direct tearing of shoots and indirect long-term soil compaction. Protection of turfgrass crowns from wear could increase the ability of turf to recover from heavy traffic. Plastic turfpavers have been installed in trafficked areas to reduce soil compaction and to protect turfgrass crowns from wear. The objectives of this study were to evaluate traffic performance of turfgrasses (Zoysia matrella and Axonopus compressus) and soil mixture (high, medium and low sand mix) combinations on turf-paver complex. The traffic performance of turf and recovery was evaluated based on percent green cover determined by digital image analysis and spectral reflectance responses by NDVI-meter. Bulk density cores indicated significant increase in soil compaction from medium and low sand mixtures compared to high sand mixture. Higher reduction of percent green cover was observed from A. compressus (30-40%) than Z. matrella (10-20%) across soil mixtures. Both turf species displayed higher wear tolerance when established on higher sand (>50% sand) than low sand mixture. Positive turf recovery was also supported by complementary spectral responses. Establishment of Zoysia matrella turf on turfpaver complex using high sand mixture will result in improved wear tolerance.
- Asaeda, T. and Ca, V.T. 2000. Characteristics of permeable pavement during hot summer weather and impact on the thermal environment. Building and Environment 35:363-375. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-1323(99)00020-7
- Beard, J.B. 1973. Turfgrass: Science and culture. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- Carrow, R.N. and Duncan, R.R. 2003. Improving drought resistance and persistence in turf-type tall fescue. Crop Sci. 43:978-984. https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci2003.9780
- Ferguson, B.K. 2005. Porous pavements. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fl.
- Guertal, E.A. and Shaw, J.N. 2004. Multispectral radiometer signatures for stress evaluation in compacted bermudagrass turf. HortSci. 39:403-407.
- Harivandi, M.A. 2002. Turfgrass traffic and compaction: problems and solutions. Publication 8080. University of California, CA, USA.
- Horst, G.L., Engelke, M.C. and Meyers, W. 1984. Assessment of visual evaluation techniques. Agron. J. 76:619-622. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1984.00021962007600040027x
- Jiang, Y.W., Carrow, R.N. and Duncan, R.R. 2003. Correlation analysis procedures for canopy spectral reflectance data of seashore Paspalum under traffic stress. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 128:343-348.
- Jiang, Y.W. 2008. Identification of turfgrass stress utilizing spectral reflectance, pp. 547-556. In: Pessarakli, M.M. (ed.). Handbook of turfgrass management and physiology. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fl.
- Karcher, D.E. and Richardson, M.D. 2003. Quantifying turfgrass color using digital image analysis. Crop Sci. 43: 943-951. https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci2003.9430
- Kowalewski, A.R., Schwartz, B.M., Grimshaw, A.L., Sullivan, D.G., Peake, J.B., et al. 2013. Biophysical effects and ground force of the baldree traffic simulator. Crop Sci. 53:2239-2244. https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci2013.02.0118
- Krans, J.V. and Morris, K. 2007. Determining a profile of protocols and standards used in the visual assessment of turfgrasses: A survey of national turfgrass evaluation program-sponsored university scientists. Appl. Turfgrass Sci. doi: 10.1094/ATS-2007-1130-01-TT. https://doi.org/10.1094/ATS-2007-1130-01-TT
- Leinauer, B., VanLeeuwen, D.M., Serena, M., Schiavon, M. and Sevaostianova, E. 2014. Digital image analysis and spectral reflectance to determine turfgrass quality. Agron. J. 106:1787-1794. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj14.0088
- Nicholson, S.E. and Farrar, T.J. 1994. The influence of soil type on the relationship between NDVI, rainfall, and soil moisture in semiarid Botswana. I. NDVI response to rainfall. Remote Sensing of Environ. 50: 107-120. https://doi.org/10.1016/0034-4257(94)90038-8
- Nilsson, H.E. and Johnsson, L. 1996. Hand-held radiometry of barley infected stripe disease in a field experiment. J. Plant Dis. Prot. 103:517-526.
- O'Neill, K.J. and Carrow, R.N. 1983. Perennial ryegrass growth, water use, and soil aeration status under soil compaction. Agron. J. 75:177-180. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1983.00021962007500020005x
- Ong, B.L. 2003. Green plot ratio: an ecological measure for architecture and urban planning. Landscape and Urban Planning. 63:197-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-2046(02)00191-3
- Raikes, C. and Burpee, L.L. 1998. Use of multispectral radiometry for assessment of Rhizoctonia Blight in creeping bentgrass. Phytopathol. 88:446-449. https://doi.org/10.1094/PHYTO.19126.96.36.1996
- Sawhill, R.B. 2005. Porous Turf, pp. 241-284. In: Ferguson, B.K. (ed.). Porous pavements. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fl.
- Shearman, R.C. and Beard, J.B. 1975a. Turfgrass wear tolerance mechanisms. II. Effects of cell wall constituents on turfgrass wear tolerance. Agron. J. 67:211-215. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1975.00021962006700020010x
- Shearman, R.C. and Beard, J.B. 1975b. Turfgrass wear tolerance mechanisms. III. Physiological, morphological, and anatomical characteristics associated with turfgrass wear tolerance. Agron. J. 67:215-218. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1975.00021962006700020011x
- Shearman, R.C, Kinbacher, E.J. and Riordan, T.P. 1980. Turfgrasspaver complex for intensively trafficked areas. Agron. J. 72:372-374. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1980.00021962007200020028x
- Shearman, R.C. 1988 Improving sports turf wear tolerance. Proc. 58th Ann. Michigan Turf. Conf. 17:153-155.
- Soane, B.D. and van Ouwerkerk, C. 1994. Soil compaction in crop production. Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- Sorochan, J.C., Karcher, D.E., Parham, J.M. and Richardson, M.D. 2006. Segway and golf car wear on bermudagrass fairway turf. Online. Appl. Turfgrass Sci. 3: doi: 10.1094/ATS-2006-0727-01-RS.
- Swartz, W.E. and Kardos, L.T. 1963. Effects of compaction on physical properties of sand-soil-peat mixtures at various moisture contents. Agron. J. 55:7-10. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1963.00021962005500010004x
- Trenholm, L.E., Carrow, R.N. and Duncan, R.R. 1999a. Relationship of multispectral radiometry data to qualitative data in turfgrass research. Crop Sci. 39:763-769. https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci1999.0011183X003900030025x
- Trenholm, L.E., Carrow, R.N. and Duncan, R.R. 1999b. Wear tolerance, shoot performance, and spectral reflectance of seashore Paspalum and Bermudagrass. Crop Sci. 39:1147-1152. https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci1999.0011183X003900040033x
- Yoo, C.S., Valdes, J.B. and North, G.R. 1998. Evaluation of the impact of rainfall on soil moisture variability. Adv. Water Resources 21:375-384. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1708(97)00002-X
- Youngner, V.B. 1961. Accelerated wear tests on turfgrasses. Agron. J. 53:217-218. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1961.00021962005300040003x
- Youngner, V.B. 1962. Wear resistance of cool-season turfgrasses. Effects of previous mowing practices. Agron. J. 54:198-199. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1962.00021962005400030005x